Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't own a .22 cal centerfire and I've been swearing to rectify that for the last couple years.

It be a play toy for steel and paper, used for deer on occasion and down to ground squirrels. Don't want a chunk.

The choices are:

An AR build- I don't own one and they are pretty cheap now.

Ruger American- Uber cheap. 8 twist. Piece of chit stock.

Montana- turn key.

Tikka SL- Has anyone seen one that doesn't shoot? $700+$550 for a McMillan is about Montana territory. The extra inch bolt throw doesn't bother me.

Sako Vixen- slow twist and pricey, though I'd like to have a nice custom on one.

What say ye?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Custom Vixen would kick a lot of butt.

Montana -would be powerful cool too - I have a real hankering for a Montana -although there are certain types of people on this site that are giving them a bad name -due to them owning one -two -a few -several..

Mickey Coleman built my first custom 700 bdl 22-250 I have shot a couple of 5 shot groups measuring in the 1's . Luck I know.
Shot two three shot groups on steel 2 1/2" at 453 yards when testing long range loads.
Love a 22-250 .
And here I thought MadMooner was a hardcore rifleman -laf --you don't have a 22-250 ? Delete this thread and say you were kidding .. grin

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/11/15.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you wanted to meet your needs with perfection, I'd highly recommend a custom 22-250 with an 8" twist.

But if you want to class things up, I have a Vixen in .222 Rem Mag, with plenty of bastard brass, dies and all the bells and whistles.

It will likely do anything you're looking to do with a quality .22 centerfire that doesn't suck.

But make no mistake, it won't do what an 8" twisted 22-250 will do.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thou shalt buyith a T-3 1:8 SL and livith happily ever after.

I'm considering the new Sako compact and playing swapaloo between the 223 for summer wear and something a little heavier hitting for formal wear.

One size fits all....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....initial indications are 50's kissing at 2.282 and 75 Amax at 2.448. Mag box is 2.307, but we have the technology. Or the bobsled insert as plan B.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What's max length mag box for the Kimber ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Easy MM; The Tikka....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Donor 700, 8 twist 22-250, micky.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Donor 700, 8 twist 22-250, micky.

Done Faux Ti with a fluted LVSFish barrel.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you don't own an AR, you need one yesterday.

RRA predator pursuit, 20" barrel.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I might sell you the really pretty Sako Riihimaki you handled when you were last out this way. It is scary accurate and stylin. About 7lbs all up, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comes with a guided trip for either Oregon Ground squirrels or E WA Rockchucks

Whether this one, or another similar, I would sure try to find a pre Garcia 222 or 223 such as a Riihimaki or Vixen. Just awesome little rifles.

That said, I am interested in aquiring one of the RIA mini bolt action rifles in 22TCM. The 22TCM should act like a modern designed 22 Hornet in most respects, and that little RIA rifle is a handsome thing, from the photos I have seen.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Don't own a .22 cal centerfire and I've been swearing to rectify that for the last couple years.

It be a play toy for steel and paper, used for deer on occasion and down to ground squirrels. Don't want a chunk.

The choices are:

An AR build- I don't own one and they are pretty cheap now.

Ruger American- Uber cheap. 8 twist. Piece of chit stock.

Montana- turn key.

Tikka SL- Has anyone seen one that doesn't shoot? $700+$550 for a McMillan is about Montana territory. The extra inch bolt throw doesn't bother me.

Sako Vixen- slow twist and pricey, though I'd like to have a nice custom on one.

What say ye?

AR's are fun but I like the Montana a ton. Montana in 223 for the win.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
I might sell you the really pretty Sako Riihimaki you handled when you were last out this way. It is scary accurate and stylin. About 7lbs all up, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Comes with a guided trip for either Oregon Ground squirrels or E WA Rockchucks

Whether this one, or another similar, I would sure try to find a pre Garcia 222 or 223 such as a Riihimaki or Vixen. Just awesome little rifles.

That said, I am interested in aquiring one of the RIA mini bolt action rifles in 22TCM. The 22TCM should act like a modern designed 22 Hornet in most respects, and that little RIA rifle is a handsome thing, from the photos I have seen.

"Elevator, elevator, here comes the shaft!"..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rancho,

Try to refrain from propositioning me in public like this, you are embarrassing yourself. For the LAST TIME, I am NOT gay, and thus am NOT giving you my shaft! sick

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

+1 Had mine out today and always a blast to shoot. Shoots great with handloads as well. Get the AR.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by safariman
Rancho,

Try to refrain from propositioning me in public like this, you are embarrassing yourself. For the LAST TIME, I am NOT gay, and thus am NOT giving you my shaft! sick

Reminds me of this scene from Billy Madison

where he is saying the opposite of what he wants.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearstalker

+1 Had mine out today and always a blast to shoot. Shoots great with handloads as well. Get the AR.

I need to at least pick up a lower or two while they are still so cheap and available. Who knows when the next dumbazz will throw a wrench in the works and have it stick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not on the list, but the Ruger Hawkeye with the 1 in 9 twist shoots pretty good. Actually the ones I've had, have shot almost as good as my 1 in 9 twist Ruger 77 mkII vt/target model. Not too chunky either....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone looking at a Ruger for paper punching should look at the Hawkeye Predator just for the 2-stage trigger. Very nice.

That said, if it were me and I had the bucks, a Sako anything would be very high on the list.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by bearstalker

I need to at least pick up a lower or two while they are still so cheap and available. Who knows when the next dumbazz will throw a wrench in the works and have it stick.

You do need to pick up a couple lowers, but in my opinion, if building an AR you'll spend probably more getting it to shoot as well as any of the bolt guns you've mentioned (maybe except the Sako) and it'll never be as classy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 55 invisible), 3,159 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.