Print Thread
Hop To
J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I received a right handed bow for Christmas. This past weekend, I drove 3.5 hours one way to the closest pro shop to drop it off and get set up. Owner was complementary of the bow even though he does not sell that brand. He talked to me a bit about what I wanted and what my plans were. We discussed draw length and weights, arrows, broad heads, etc. Before he physically did anything with the bow he asked about eye dominance. I told him flatly that I was right eye dominate. Asking again if I was sure (YES SIR I AM), he ran a card test. Strongly left eye dominate. 3 guys in the shop, the owner, and my wife all said DAMN at the same time.

He said that I was far better off trading and starting all over with a left handed bow. To put it bluntly, I don't know if he is yanking my chain, being spot on, or if there is something else I can do.

It was a long 3.5 hours trip home for my wife.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
JDK- I will be interested to see what others say on this but I don't think the pro was "yanking your chain". I am the opposite shooting lh with right eye dominant. I didn't seem to have as much problem with it when younger but as I've aged and left eye became weaker, this has become more pronounced. Have tried to go back to traditional archery the past couple of years and shooting without sights has made this more challenging. Can you work around this shooting rh? Yes you can but I would look further into switching. Just my 2 cents after missing one of the nicest bucks of my life due to right eye trying to take over! Good luck with whatever you decide. Bruce

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot a right hand bow and am left eye dominant. It�s not ideal but I�ve been doing it for 30 years and I don�t think it�s such a huge handicap. Just close your left eye before you shoot.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I have a 7yo that is left eyed/right handed. Though he admits he's more comfortable shooting right handed (both guns and bows) he's much more accurately lefthanded...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
pointer, if you're going to encourage him to switch now would be the time. Don't think I heard of the eye dominance issue until I was in my 30's. Obviously it can be done when you're older but I think it would be a lot easier to switch as a child. It hasn't been an issue for me when bow hunting or rifle hunting. I do well on birds but skeet is where I feel a little handicapped.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed with Bill_N

Close one eye and shoot with the other. Your sights will be adjusted for this condition and once aligned with the peep and sight having the other eye closed I think you're set.

Of course if you shoot with both eyes open the eye dominance will be a huge struggle.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shooting from your dominate eye side should always be better.i had lots of kids come to my range that were shooting from the wrong side. they all shot better after they switched to there dominate eye.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N
pointer, if you're going to encourage him to switch now would be the time. Don't think I heard of the eye dominance issue until I was in my 30's. Obviously it can be done when you're older but I think it would be a lot easier to switch as a child. It hasn't been an issue for me when bow hunting or rifle hunting. I do well on birds but skeet is where I feel a little handicapped.
He only shoots with the dominant eye now, both archery and firearms. I've had to basically quite shooting bows with him as I don't have a LH bow for him yet. This spring he'll get one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JDK,

I am a newbie getting back into archery after 20+ years so my opinion may be totally worthless or more apropos to your situation. smile

I'm a LED/RH shooter and have done fine all my life. Guess I learned to adapt. That includes scopes, iron sights, peeps, wing shooting, etc. On guns with open sights I just learned to shut my left eye at the last second and I seem to do fine.

The only thing I find my self shooting 'left eyed' is handguns. If I just bring them up instinctively to aim I always end up shooting left eyed.

Regarding bows, I got mine right before Christmas and already have zero problems attaining hunting level accuracy even to 40 yards, so far. I am using a peep and a Black Gold Ambush Ascent sight. Obviously, I continue to practice from different positions trying to develop a rock solid muscle memory for those times (hopefully!) when the big buck or elk steps out and my heart is going triple time!

I guess it depends on how 'ambi' you feel you are. I play guitar (lots of LH Action going on there!) but still didn't feel comfortable with the idea of trying to learn to shoot a bow left handed. What I'm saying is, IMHO, you'll be just fine with your RH bow.

Just one guys (newbie) opinion...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably the most severely overlooked issue when folks are brought into our shooting sports. There is no biological link between eye dominance and handedness. Among right handers, about 65% are right eye dominant and 35% left eye dominant. Left handers run about 57% left eye dominant and 43% right eye dominant. This uncoupling of handedness and eye dominance is where some attention should be given to EVERY new shooter.

My suggestion, go with the dominant eye. Being unmentored or tutored, I ignorantly and blissfully began life as a right eyed left handed bowman (about 9 yrs). Luck saw me started as a right hander with firearms, while I continue to throw lefty. At about 30 yrs, I decided to take up archery hunting, and an astute friend noticed my not too successful struggles on the range.

At his urging, I began an immediate transition to a right hand draw. Pretty comical at first as I barely had the dexterity to even string up an arrow with my right hand, much less achieve full draw. At the close of the first week, however, the dexterity and strength were there, accuracy came around, and I was ready to go.

Yes, there are eye patches, fogged glasses, and even surgeries that can affect eye dominance, but they are uncomfortable, extended, and unpleasant processes that often revert. If one is a hunter, he typically wants his full field of vision at play, and from safety, alignment, and distance judging standpoints, it's best if one is facing straight downrange and sighting through the most optically perfect portion his vision with BOTH eyes open. Similarly, we don't want to be winking/blinking/thinking when those rare target opportunities show for only a few seconds.

Yes, we do have macho types that have compensated, often because they are simply too cheap to properly equip themselves. We'll not typically see them in world class competition though.

One of my struggling hunter ed students said it best out on the range as her dad insisted she be set up on the left side of a small bore bench. Bluntly put when he was out of ear shot - "my cheap assed dad won't buy me a left handed rifle." For a few dollars, he could have a daughter that wanted to be out there with him, as opposed to a struggling and unhappy shooter.

Handedness and muscle memory are much easier to alter than eye dominance. Muscle memory is the process that lets us learn to type, ride a bike, do cursive, or whatever. Initial efforts require conscious thought, but over time they become near reflex/instinct in nature. That's why incorrectly started shooters typically resist the change to the proper side. Had they been started properly, it would be "natural." Move the "a" character from the left little finger to the right little finger position on a keyboard, and it just won't feel right. After a week of typing, however, one can adapt. Now I literally feel stupid if I even attempt a left handed archery shot. Things just do not line up.

I'd suggest one do a little surfing on combinations of handedness, eye dominance, and muscle memory. There are some good peer reviewed articles available on the web, and a little review will help one make a more informed decision. Handedness and muscle memory are much more plastic than most would think.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/14/15.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Probably the most severely overlooked issue when folks are brought into our shooting sports. There is no biological link between eye dominance and handedness. Among right handers, about 65% are right eye dominant and 35% left eye dominant. Left handers run about 57% left eye dominant and 43% right eye dominant. This uncoupling of handedness and eye dominance is where some attention should be given to EVERY new shooter.

My suggestion, go with the dominant eye. Being unmentored or tutored, I ignorantly and blissfully began life as a right eyed left handed bowman (about 9 yrs). Luck saw me started as a right hander with firearms, while I continue to throw lefty. At about 30 yrs, I decided to take up archery hunting, and an astute friend noticed my not too successful struggles on the range.

At his urging, I began an immediate transition to a right hand draw. Pretty comical at first as I barely had the dexterity to even string up an arrow with my right hand, much less achieve full draw. At the close of the first week, however, the dexterity and strength were there, accuracy came around, and I was ready to go.

Yes, there are eye patches, fogged glasses, and even surgeries that can affect eye dominance, but they are uncomfortable, extended, and unpleasant processes that often revert. If one is a hunter, he typically wants his full field of vision at play, and from safety, alignment, and distance judging standpoints, it's best if one is facing straight downrange and sighting through the most optically perfect portion his vision with BOTH eyes open. Similarly, we don't want to be winking/blinking/thinking when those rare target opportunities show for only a few seconds.

Yes, we do have macho types that have compensated, often because they are simply too cheap to properly equip themselves. We'll not typically see them in world class competition though.

One of my struggling hunter ed students said it best out on the range as her dad insisted she be set up on the left side of a small bore bench. Bluntly put when he as out of ear shots was "my cheap assed dad won't buy me a left handed rifle." For a few dollars, he could have a daughter that wanted to be out there with him, as opposed to a struggling and unhappy shooter.

Handedness and muscle memory are much easier to alter than eye dominance. Muscle memory is the process that lets us learn to type, ride a bike, do cursive, or whatever. Initial efforts require conscious thought, but over time they become near reflex/instinct in nature. That's why incorrectly started shooters typically resist the change to the proper side. Had they been started properly, it would be "natural." Move the "a" character from the left little finger to the right little finger position on a keyboard, and it just won't feel right. After a week of typing, however, one can adapt. Now I literally feel stupid if I even attempt a left handed archery shot. Things just do not line up.

I'd suggest one do a little surfing on combinations of handedness, eye dominance, and muscle memory. There are some good peer reviewed articles available on the web, and a little review will help one make a more informed decision. Handedness and muscle memory are much more plastic than most would think.

good post,i agree 100%

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1minute is spot on.

Your equipment should follow your eye dominance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a RH/LED shooter, and have been for 20 years. When I started, I bought a bow at K-mart... there wasn't any "pro shop staff" to tell me I should be shooting left handed, nor did I know that one eye would be dominant. I just figured I was right handed, so I should shoot a right handed bow. Seems logical, right?

Well, if I were to do it all over again, I would start off left handed. Yes, I've made it work, and I usually shoot pretty well. However, during my hunting adventures, I've had two missed opportunities on quick shots at great animals, because I didn't "force" dominancy (by closing left eye). The first was a big muley buck that I missed by 3 feet (yes, it makes that much difference), and the second was a BIG bear this past season, standing, at 15 yards. I didn't even let that arrow go because I knew the sight picture wasn't right, and it wasn't going to work. Usually, there's plenty of time to get things straight (it only takes a fraction of a second), but for me, instinct takes over on quick shots, and sometimes it just doesn't work.

It's ultimately your call, but I'd exchange the bow for the left handed model. Someday I'll take my own advise, too...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JDK
I received a right handed bow for Christmas. This past weekend, I drove 3.5 hours one way to the closest pro shop to drop it off and get set up. Owner was complementary of the bow even though he does not sell that brand. He talked to me a bit about what I wanted and what my plans were. We discussed draw length and weights, arrows, broad heads, etc. Before he physically did anything with the bow he asked about eye dominance. I told him flatly that I was right eye dominate. Asking again if I was sure (YES SIR I AM), he ran a card test. Strongly left eye dominate. 3 guys in the shop, the owner, and my wife all said DAMN at the same time.

He said that I was far better off trading and starting all over with a left handed bow. To put it bluntly, I don't know if he is yanking my chain, being spot on, or if there is something else I can do.

It was a long 3.5 hours trip home for my wife.

Before getting rid of your bow for a left hand model, I would repeat the card test but also try a couple of different tests to verify your results. Try keeping your arms outstretched and slowly bringing your hands together to make a small diamond while looking at a distant target. Close one eye and see which one your sighting with.

Also try putting your index finger up in the air vertically and align with a corner in the wall. Close each eye to see which one your using.

I've seen these test give variable results.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The triangle test shows I am clearly left eye dominant despite being right-handed. This does come into play when target shooting. I pull right eyed sighted shots slightly to the left. I know that and compensate in the field. Same with shotgunning. Harder to hit the right swinger first and easier to pull the trigger on the right to left clay both report and true pair.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pointer
FWIW, I have a 7yo that is left eyed/right handed. Though he admits he's more comfortable shooting right handed (both guns and bows) he's much more accurately lefthanded...

Let him bat rt handed. If he is left eye dominant he could end up being a great hitter.

If he shoots rt handed and is closing his left eye i dont know if i would have him change anything.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/25/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by pointer

Let him bat rt handed. If he is left eye dominant he could end up being a great hitter.

If he shoots rt handed and is closing his left eye i dont know if i would have him change anything.
He's not closing his left eye, he's leaning his head over the gun to aim with it. Since I discovered this about a year ago, he's shot only left handed and does so naturally now. Even with his NERF guns.

As far as the hitting, I'll definitely be working with him on that! Having the dominant eye closer to the pitch and the bat in the dominant hand shouldn't hurt! I will say, that just tossing the ball up to himself he does as well from either side. With a bat, he's nearly ambidextrous. Enough so that he often forget which hand goes on top. wink

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yer right, not good.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.