Print Thread
Hop To
Page 120 of 144 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 143 144
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another fun bit was meeting Carl ( Ready)...our contingent from Germany. It was hard not to notice that Carl was deadly with whatever weapon he put in his hands.Something I for sure couldn't say, as my shotgunning was up to its usual dismal level, and Im still nursing and whining about a sore shoulder I forgot about having till the 12 gauge went off...
Pat was plain scary good with his bent barrel shotgun...I hope the one in whatever squad car he gets in is bent... grin

Lootenant Pat keeps claiming that he's not that good on targets, but that he's a "fair game shot". Sheesh... last fall I watched him shoot 15 doves straight one evening. That's beyond being a "fair game shot" by a damn sight!

But no fears about him needing a bent-barrel 870 for his squad car... he rides a desk these days, but I've heard he's got a deal with the department armorer to keep him well-stocked with crooked 870's...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Scopebite416 and I survived the long, wet, drive back home. The traffic around Austin proved to be just as bad as it was on the way there. Rained all the way until we got well into Arkansas.

It was good to reunite with old friends from last year and get to know the new friends I met this year.

It was a pleasure sharing a blind with you, Paul, even though we didn't get to pull a trigger. Hope to do it again next year.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I watched Pat shoot clays he never missed! Must be the bent barrel!He's deadly with his bow and he's an excellent pool player also

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gunner, glad to see you made it back to the farm OK. How'd you like my mud boggin skills when we were leaving?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is this the one you guys were thinking of? grin

[Linked Image]

I figured it was cause of the blowfish...... whistle

no, there are better pics of her.... smirk grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

This Carl 'Ready' shooting I think TexnCal's .257 Kimber beauty of a gun. Of course the Poobah and I believe Bullshooter with the Red earmuffs.

[Linked Image]

That was actually the first time I fired that rifle, or handload - which is why I shot it before I let Carl use it. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Pat 'LtpPowell' In camo and Pat 'TexnCal' on his left. Bob 'Isaac' on the bench.

[Linked Image]

wonder how long before Bob buys an AR? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Scopebite416 and I survived the long, wet, drive back home. The traffic around Austin proved to be just as bad as it was on the way there. Rained all the way until we got well into Arkansas.

It was good to reunite with old friends from last year and get to know the new friends I met this year.

It was a pleasure sharing a blind with you, Paul, even though we didn't get to pull a trigger. Hope to do it again next year.

Pleasure was all mine, Doc. Too bad ya had to leave so soon.
That green light of yours sure was the cat's ass!

When I figure out how to post pics again, I'll share the ones of that owl taking a bath in the pond. That was crazy! cool

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's hard to add to what's been posted, but I'll throw up some pictures & anecdotes, anyway.

Firstly, sharing a car ride of 2,771 miles with tjm was a pleasure. I know I had to have given him a sore knee from all the times I made him stomp his imaginary passenger-side brakes on I-35N, but we made it home in fine shape, and shared many excellent stories.

If I recall, Gunner500 claims to be a cattle rancher, but I'm convinced he's an English professor. The man is quite simply the Michelangelo of the Metaphor. His account of his lone attempt at babysitting left me in tears for 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Gunner500
"That kid looked like he'd been hit in the ass with a punkin pie!"

Ready made quite the impression on the regulars. He seems to fit in well, no matter the crowd. I was expecting, however, that he would arrive in camp wearing an authentic 38 liter Texas Cowboy Hat, so we could pose together in international garb. He assures me that he will be procuring one and taking it back to Germany. I'll believe it when I see a picture of him wearing one midst a group of stone-faced Forsters.

[Linked Image]

He made a good show of adjusting to the the... unorthodox... hunting methods employed. Nothing like in the Old Country, but he made do:

[Linked Image]

The ostriches were sneaky bastids, indeed. They'd hide in the truck, & stick their heads through the sunroofs:

[Linked Image]

But I had 'em in the palm of my hand:

[Linked Image]

Thanks to Tex n Cal loaning me some .38 ostrich shot, I felt well prepared:

[Linked Image]

An no, too much cannot be said about the eats. Here's Dan the fire man setting things up for the fish fellas:

[Linked Image]

And here's Pat showing off textbook shooting stance. Hey, whatever it is, it works like a friggin' charm!

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_7514_zpshjsydvo6.jpg[/img]

Roof took a nice hog, and even donated it to tjm & me. Many thanks!

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_7571_zpszly6xh6k.jpg[/img]

And somehow, I was able to connect at last light on the last hunt:

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_7565_zpsu5w4fsue.jpg[/img]

I used the excellent 7-08 that Mickey Coleman & Karnis put together for me. It seemed fitting to bring it on this trip.

I believe there were just shy of 5 miles of "dirt" road we needed to traverse to reach pavement. Ready & tjm were concerned that my slick-tired and heavily-laden Yukon would sink in that muck, but we made it. The running boards even had souvenirs of that exciting journey:

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_7553_zps7wlglub6.jpg[/img]

I was so excited for this trip that it felt like every day was Christmas Eve from the time Dan finalized it until I got there. It did not disappoint.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 03/24/15.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You need a shovel, not a powerwasher!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On Friday morning Doc and I heard water splashing behind our blind. At first we thought it was just some ducks. Finally we turned around and couldn't believe our eyes. An owl was taking a bath in the pond! crazy

No photo shop here guys and Doc is my witness! cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That last is the coolest pic I've seen in a while!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Firstly, sharing a car ride of 2,771 miles with tjm was a pleasure. I know I had to have given him a sore knee from all the times I made him stomp his imaginary passenger-side brakes on I-35N, but we made it home in fine shape, and shared many excellent stories.

Joe:

Like I said at your house last night, it's HARD to be in a car for two days with someone and then another two days again, and still be on speaking terms at the end of the trip.

Not only were we on speaking terms, but my voice was hoarse from all the talking we did. You are a superb cross-country companion, my friend.

JW (Doc Rocket):

It was indeed a pleasure to finally meet you face to face, too, and I look forward to seeing some of your fine S&W revolvers when next we meet. I've got a nice 29-2 to show you thatI bought from Ashley (Denny smirking off to the side the whole time, while she beguiled me) with an action even smoother than the 629.

Like I posted the other evening, the usual suspects in this posse went above and beyond and made this whole thing not only possible with a bunch of hard work , but they were the center and the catalyst of all the fine conversation and camaraderie that we enjoyed. I just can't imagine not continuing our acquaintances in the future.

One of the highlights of this trip for me was the Saturday night cocktail hour with Derek and Lois. Spasiba, you two.

I also learned something on this trip that I never knew about southwest Texas. It's sticky when wet.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
By popular request I have researched and found a pic of the incomparable Jaqueline Bisset...
A discussion in camp one night brought back fond memories of Jaqueline in "The Deep" wearing a soaking wet T-shirt... Is this the one you guys were thinking of?

Poobah-
Is your google-fu weakening?

I suspect the movie poster below is the image recalled by those of us in the discussion group.
--Bob
[Linked Image]
--Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's it! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Show-Offy little bitch.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob Bob Bob, the dogs are out of the pic. Whoever, made sure she shot one, She's a special bitch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ all

Thank you for a great time at ADL7. Fully intend to be back, where ever the next 24HCF hunt is.

Checking in from the Red Roof Inn in San Antonio, my flight leaves in 2 hours.

@ ingwe

thank you for your concern. I am well, if saddend by the happenings in the Alps. My wife tells me, German Airline Traffic is in turmoil between strikes and the crash, so we will see, when i get home.

I will check in with stories and pictures upon arrival.

Take care for now, Y'all.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Safe travels Carl!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 120 of 144 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 143 144

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.