-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting vid to say the least...No wonder bufflers got knocked out of their sneakers!.. grin

[video:youtube]chttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6xNdK2rZk[/video]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe if we asked real nice Kurt would post that video of him whackin that buff with the 44-90 again.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's just right flat out INTERESTING.

A.) "Little Red devil" ?

B.) ...that pyrotechnic event inside of the gel ?

Thinkin' cap's on.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Little Red devil" = .06" plastic wad?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if friction vaporized part of the gel, and ignited it in the gel.

That bullet didn't slow down a lot did it? smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Neither me nor my truck would want to be hit by one. Somewhere there is a similar video showing penetration of 20+ milk jugs. Weatherby type stuff does 3 to 4 jugs.

Myth Busters looked at water depth and slugs. Second hand from my wife who saw the show - one must be 6 to 8 feet under water to escape slow but heavy handgun slugs. High speed stuff, even up to 50BMG's, and one would be safe at a depth of 2 to 3 feet.

Guess that's why we use bowling balls as opposed to ping pong balls to knock over those pins.

Found a similar link

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/14.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After further review some cheaper gels have additives of oil or resins which might explain the pyrotechnic display..one would surmise the presence of some kind of petrol based compound might certainly be the culprit promoting ignition via projectile friction.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch
"Little Red devil" = .06" plastic wad?

makes sense

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wonder if this isn't the result of lube ignition?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
There are some interesting things on that video. On the lower corner of that clip it gives you the option to watch it on U-Tube where you can see that on the full screen. I have video editing software where I can stop it frame for frame and what is interesting on the first few frames where the bullet is coming out of the barrel there is what looks like unburned powder or maybe fouling that is pushed out ahead of the bullet and the bullet passes this black substance and the ball of fire shows up.
After the ball of fire dies down and turns to smoke several frames behind this a wad of unburned compressed powder burning like a fuse follows and it is rotating like the bullet and it goes the full length of the captured picture. If you look close you can see the wad drafting close behind the bullet.
Now going to the gel. Following the bullet pass through and as the gel is contracting there is a dark shadow that appears in frame 40 and frame 41 there is a bubble that is closing in and that dark smudge ignites. I think it is unburned powder lighting up when the hot gel is raising pressure in that wound channel.
It's a little hard to seethe black smudge before it lights up.

Very interesting video.

Kurt

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fascinating. I wonder what a flat nosed lead bullet would look like in the gel?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hadn't seen the base wad the first time I viewed it, so that's not the "red devil" so a powder chunk makes sense. Not disputing what you see in the gel, but it's hard to believe unburned powder would draft behind the bullet 50 meters when the base wad, which is between the bullet and powder, has already fallen 2-3 inches behind as the bullet leaves the screen in the firing sequence. Vaporized lube/gel additive maybe?
I love those super slo-mo shots like that.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There be a number of things curious about the videos. Go full screen and use your mouse to freeze the vid here and again. Almost as good as uber slow mo...

First vid, after the bullet is long gone, there is a wee sparkler of what is undoubtedly burning powder exits the muzzle. Little bit of spiral to it and it follows the bullet's path briskly.

Second vid: Freeze framing shows the void from bullet cavitation closing, ultimately into a short segment where the flash occurs, and this is almost closed into two distinct chamber when the secondary ignition occurs in the chamber on the left side and quickly moves into the right chamber. There is no foreign debris obvious in either chamber. Leaning towards the lube residue theory a little more heavily, thinking ignition the result of compression in the chambers. A lube diesel detonation?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe the Devil knows that we're now onto his imps playing around in our sulphurous smokes. eek

Jeez,....we better watch it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always puzzled about the old saw, "The Devil is in de tails."

Let your imagination run amok.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what super-slo-mo cameras cost grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A chitt load of pesos my friend. Last figure I heard quoted for video equip. was $50K, that for something around 15K frames/second.

Stills can be captured cheaper and with much shorter timeframe, but is governed by flash duration. 1/10,000,000th of a second is doable.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked on Feebay and yeah that seems about what they go for. Although one place was advertising weekly rentals for $2k.

Sony shows one model that can do a burst of 1000fps, for about $6k.

One could have a lot of fun with one of those cameras smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a revelation of Damascene proportions. My life is changed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,534 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.