Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by cwh2
I usually figure 2lbs per day for food, and even at that I usually run out. Bars are what kill me weight-wise, but I hate stopping to cook something in the middle of the day.

I hear ya....I hate skimping on food weight. Its the one thing that keeps me going. But I think 1.25 is the sweet spot for me and my wife atleast. I realize its still a deficit and if you are burning 5-6K calories a day packing around in the mountains you can not eat enough to make up for that.

As side from downing straight olive oil I just don't see how three people can get by on 10 pounds of food for a week. wink But everyones body is different, just basing on what I found I need is all.

How about Pork Rinds, 155 calories/oz and high in protein smile

Ed T

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha now you're talking Ed!!! wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We eat "meals" twice a day. Oatmeal/berries in the a.m. often with some warmed gatorade, a fiber bar/goo for lunch, and coucous, or a soup, etc. for dinner.
We all have a pocket of mini gobstoppers too. They work wonders for keeping the energy up and mouth wet.
I would think that 75% of the weight of all of our sheep/goat camp meals is simple water which springs right up near our annual camp.
It ain't pleasurable, but it's superlight.

And we do lose weight on the mountain, no way to get around that short of packing twice the food.
We sure talk about Fast Eddie's in Tok a lot! I wish I had a buck for every mention of that place on the sheep mountain.
We gorge there before and after every sheep hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
We eat "meals" twice a day. Oatmeal/berries in the a.m. often with some warmed gatorade, a fiber bar/goo for lunch, and coucous, or a soup, etc. for dinner.
We all have a pocket of mini gobstoppers too. They work wonders for keeping the energy up and mouth wet.
I would think that 75% of the weight of all of our sheep/goat camp meals is simple water which springs right up near our annual camp.
It ain't pleasurable, but it's superlight.

And we do lose weight on the mountain, no way to get around that short of packing twice the food.
We sure talk about Fast Eddie's in Tok a lot! I wish I had a buck for every mention of that place on the sheep mountain.
We gorge there before and after every sheep hunt.

Sounds like we have similar diets on a hunt, but mine comes out to between 2 to 3 times the weight per day per person than what you got going on. 2 meals a day are likely over 8 oz combined right there.

But we have granola cereal (with powdered milk in it so just add water)in the morning, with some via coffee wink
Then 2 fiber bars per day, and a s mini pack of M&Ms and a Gu as in there as well, then each get a freeze dried dinner. All that adds up to around 1-1.25 pounds.

Heck at less than half pound per person per day for food on average, a cliff bar and a gu would be nearly half the weight of your food for that day so you are having meals that weigh the same or less than a cliff bar?

Are you running on around 800-1200 calories per day in the field? I'd start bonking if only eating that many calories and actively hiking and hauling a backpack around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna pull on Renee's ear with this thread. She has the food packing down to a science.
She's in Cordova until Wednesday, but I'll ask her on the specifics weight wise and how things stack up on the scale with the food.
So, If i have this right, you and the wife together bring approx. twenty pounds of food for 7 days?

Funny story though, couple of years ago I had drawn a goat tag and we were on Kodiak waiting for Roland to be able to fly us out on, The ceiling was low.
We were killing time in our motel room, packing and re-packing...you know how it goes.
One of my buds pulls a FULL jar of JIFF peanut butter out of his pack.
I raised heck about it, kidding him and told him he's crazy to pack it. He did bring it and a lot of other food, and his wife buried a love note in the JIFF that we really gave him crap about on the goat mountain.
In spite of his extra weight with that jar and other food, it was really nice to gorge on crunchy peanut butter smeared on granola bars in the a.m.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool! Let me know what she comes up with. Very interested if you guys are getting by with .5-.75 lbs per person person, cause yeah right now a 7 day trip is between 18-21 pounds usually. Which is double what you guys do for 3 people.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Gobstoppers is a new one on me but I guess I'll have to check 'em out.

As far as the stove (pocket rocket) and two cannisters, has anyone ever looked at the trade-off in weight and number of boils between a lightweight stove like the 'rocket with two cannisters vs. a Jetboil with a single cannister?

I'm guessing the # of boils would be similar.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I too pack around 1.5 to 2 pounds of food per person. Most of the weight ends up as lunch snacks actually - hard salami, nuts, cheese and trio bars like stuff. For meals I generally cook Idahoan mash potatoes with a can of salmon or some sausage for breakfast, and red beans and rice type meals with sausage for dinner. I bring along peanut oil to supplement both meals. I also am not adverse to a couple cans of SPAM. SPAM is worth the weight and once when we lost the door to the woodstove we built a new one from a SPAM can - it saved the day.

I do not lose weight on long hunts, nor do I ever slow down. If I eat well I can go all day without stopping.

And regarding stove trade offs - I still carry a pocket rocket and canister to boil water, but with a light weight woodstove you really do not need to carry any propane. On a sheep hunt in the Brooks range we did all our cooking on the woodstove and found plenty of wood up to 4400 feet. On Kodiak you can generally find wood up to around 1800 feet (willow is best). So for trips over a week or so I would think the woodstove which weighs under 2 pounds would be the most weight effective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Gobstoppers is a new one on me but I guess I'll have to check 'em out.

These are known to my pard and I as power pills!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Figuring two pounds of food per day per person, for three that's 42 pounds in (mostly/majority) dry food for a week, couldn't imagine packing that. But, as they say; whatever works.

And these should be in every pack. smile They are as hard as a rock and last a long time. Just don't get one stuck in your throat when hiking, almost happened to me when I was puffing up the mountain.
This is the mega-box, but they come smaller...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As soon as the snow goes, I'm gonna do a tune-up trip, three days with nothing but Gobstoppers and pork rinds.

I'll report on the results.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Funny thing is that I travel light compared to my sheep partner. Especially when it comes to food.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
If a trip is really long I'll be closer to 1.5 pounds than 2. But food is a different 'kind' of weight in the pack. It dissapears during the trip, and is generally not carried out. It's not like an ice axe or the SAT phone case - something that's heavy in and heavy out.

On a 10 day Brooks Range hunt 2 of us did carry in 35 pounds worth of food, but combined weight we were well under 100 pounds total including rifle (my pack weighed just under 50 while his weighed around 45). We did the hike in off the road thing too, and all told hiked over 60 miles between camps and then another 30 or so out of our various camps. On the way out our packs were both over 100 pounds because we were carrying meat - but by that time they only contained 5 pounds or so of food.

I eat the heavy stuff first and really don't mind going heavy on the food because as I said I am not carrying it out.

Another thing to consider is how much space something takes up in your pack. I'd rather something be more compact than a tiny bit lighter. My biggest complaint with mountain house meals is how much space they take up. Same goes for synthetic sleeping bags. I prefer down not because it is lighter but because it is so much more compact. And those propane canisters take up a lot of space too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Figuring two pounds of food per day per person, for three that's 42 pounds in (mostly/majority) dry food for a week, couldn't imagine packing that. But, as they say; whatever works.

True, but I wouldn't be suprised you are packing atleast twice the weight of food you think you are... wink 20 pounds for 3 people for a week is still very lean on the calorie count IME.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

True, but I wouldn't be suprised you are packing atleast twice the weight of food you think you are... wink 20 pounds for 3 people for a week is still very lean on the calorie count IME.

Nope. Not the case.
So....Wife and I sat down and finally viewed this thread....she told me we pack 10 pounds of food for three of us for a seven day hunt. I didn't prompt that response, I asked her open-endedly, and she said exactly what I shared here.
She broke it down as well.
Cous cous, oats, soup mix, ramen type noodles....granola. Ten pounds is A LOT of dried food. Water is cheap, and available where we camp.

She was as shocked as I was with some of the weights you guys are packing into the mountains. 42# pounds of food?
Crazy. smile

Now I'll add...Given I drew Terror lake for goat this Fall, we'll be bringing at least 2-3 times the normal in food for a main camp.
Seldom do we have access to transportation via floats right to our hunting grounds like this year. We'll eat like kings and hopefully bring nothing out but nature's finest protein.

Spike camps will get the lightweight treatment... smile

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Wow, you guys really go lean. If you figure 150 calories/oz and that is probably on the high side with the foods listed, that is 1150 calories/ day/ person.
For me. I need 2500-3000 / day for hunting trips.
Wish I could get by with so few. They would be a lot of weight to cut from my pack.

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We also take about about 12 ounces of very dry, spicey homemade elk jerky...the best!

Could you get by with less calories, Ed? Dunno. Have you tried? Is your body going to cease to function? Probably not. Will you just be a bit more hungry? Probably.

Even the fittest of us can probably stand to lose a handful of pounds, at least I can at 6'5" 222.
If one is doing some crazy 100 mile endurance gig, by all means EAT/GORGE. At that point the caloric intake/expediture is vitally important.

We don't look at it in caloric terms. Renee is a dietitian, she makes her living consulting those things. We're aware of the very lean choices we make for a mountain hunt, but its typically once a year.
It's a short term trade off, and not one that will imperil us.

The most important thing to me personally is electrolytes. Heart health and proper rhythm is a big deal. Hyponatremia (lack of sodium in the system) is a real concern. Too much water can kill as fast as not enough. Gatorade powder and dried foods free of MSG and rich in natural potassium and sodium are where it is at.

I know a sheephunter in Alaska that hunts all week on coffee and cigarettes, I kid you not. Makes me want to barf. And he is successful! Go figure.
It makes my food choices seem like a Henry VIII feast.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Trev,

I have gotten by on around 1200 calories/day and it really effects my ability to function.
According to the calculations on the Basal Metabolic Rate charts for my age, height and weight I need 3297 calories/day to maintain weight, so if I am at 2500, I'm running a deficit of almost 800/day. At 1150 it would be serious deficit.
When I was training hard for ultra-marathons, I was eating between 5500 and 6000 calories a day, just to maintain 163 lbs.
It obviously works well for you and your family, but sure wouldn't work for me.

And yes, you are very right about electrolytes. If you haven't tried them you should give the NUUN electrolyte tablets a try.
I have found them to work very well.
http://www.nuun.com/

Ed T

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don't weigh my food because it's depressing, but if my week+ trips last the intended duration and I shoot something, and the packout is tough, I eat it all and lose ten pounds. I'm thinking 1200 calories a day would kill me.

The sub-6000ci pack phenomenon has me a bit baffled as well, for one-tripping a deer or sheep. One-trip of a sheep had my horns atop the fully extended drawstring-blouse-deal on the top of my terraframe, held down by the lid. Cape and ul drybag of clothes were strapped to the loops on the back. Pack was JAMMED. Maybe the Stone-Glacier sandwich style relieves some need for capacity.

Your Astralplane will be fine if you figure out a way to suspend your meat bags between your shoulder blades instead of letting it slump to the sleeping bag compartment baffle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EdT,

Can you post up links to those metabolic calculators?

Much appreciated, if so.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.