Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello all, I'm debating selling some guns at the next gun show. If I sell what I would hope to I may end up with $10,000 +. Is there, if any way to invest that money without tax issues? Just curious on your thoughts.

Thank you,

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes, buy more guns!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've thought about that wink or buying more silver and gold. smile

I'm not trying to hide money but looking for the investment with least amount of tax implications.

Last edited by trouthunterdj; 01/15/15.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Talk to a CPA. You're selling a collectable, hard asset. Your most reasonable reinvestment in a similar "investment vehicle" that ought to have as little tax consequence as possible, would be another collectable, hard asset.

When in doubt, and you are, seek a CPA's advice.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Have you maxed out all of your IRA/403b account deposits for 2014 or 2015? If not, move more of your income into those accounts and use the gun proceeds to cover the on-going expenses that the income would have been devoted to. That way you are effectively turning the gun proceeds into tax free income, via the fungibility of money.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That would be a heck of a gun show. I would start with the premise that you didn't make money you actually lost money on your earlier investment. Actually if you made that much money on guns in a single gun show weekend, you probably would have to take a hit on a fair number. Times are hard and people typically are only buying GOOD DEALS.

If you need some remodeling or updating on your house, pay with cash, you buy the materials.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't think you have to pay taxes on the $10K. I think you have to pay taxes on the $10K MINUS what you paid for the guns.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless there's some requirement to report the income thru the gun show...why would you report it? What would you normally do with a windfall profit? I'm sure there's some here with savvy investment advice, but generally speaking, this isn't the place I'd look for that type advice, unless you take the "buy more guns" advice, in which case, that's sound.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wadaya got?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ironbender is right. Probably have just as good a chance selling them on here as a gun show. (Depending on the economy in your area)

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just don't deposit all the money on the same day in the same bank and do whatever you want to with it.

Unless you are a gun dealer, you have no tax consequences from a sales of personal property not used in a business. They are considered household goods and personal effects.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I don't think you have to pay taxes on the $10K. I think you have to pay taxes on the $10K MINUS what you paid for the guns.

In that case, be sure to write off the loss.

I'm better when I move.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I know not what course others may take, but as for me...if I sold ten grand worth of my guns I'd just turn the money over to my wife.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deleted post

Last edited by GunGeek; 01/15/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You shouldn't have any tax issues other than what taxes you'll have based on the profit you make from your investments. As mentioned, you don't want to make a large cash deposit at a bank, as the bank is required to inform the feds anytime they receive over $10k in cash.

Personally I'd just use the cash for your daily expenses you'd typically use a cc or check for, and then use the money you aren't spending from your bank account for investing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
buy a 2500 gallon gas tank. fill at current prices. even a 20% increase is a good return.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes on the gas tank. ANd then due to .gov crap regs on ethanol requirements, the gas is bad in 3 months...

RE bank deposits... you get what, 0.5 % interest... why deposit at that rate....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
I know not what course others may take, but as for me...if I sold ten grand worth of my guns I'd just turn the money over to my wife.

grin I"m betting your wife reads all your post. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first investment is to not take them to a gun show smile

selling at a gun show you will probably be viewed by the buyers as likely someone desperate, and you'll get low balled & lose 30-40 % of the value.

You avoid that loss selling on Gunbroker, or similar auction site. Or even sell here in the Classifieds, especially if you have unusual, interesting rifles.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Wadaya got?

10k is just a few left handed stainless New Haven M70's,

if so, please send me pics first....... smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

314 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.