Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
i have a 1951 marlin 336 in beautiful condtion.I have had for 10 yrs finally shot this year to site in as back up deer rifle and did not shoot acceptible.Idon't expect ragged hole which i get from 444 at 100 yards but a 3-4 inch group i can't handle.

So i could sell and not sleep at night for passing problem off.unless found someone willing to deal with it.

Or maybe rechamber to another caliber if so which one???
I thought about 444 to throw heavy cast being my other is micro grove 1-38 twist.But hate take away from other 444 that i've harvested alot of deer with.

so what is your thoughts???

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dont rechamber. Try some different loads, and either live with 3 or 4 inch groups or sell.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How clean did you get the bore? How does the crown look?I would also recommend you post this question on Marlin owners forum. (Not exactly this post) just ask about ways to accurize the 336 in 35 rem. You might want to post the rifle for sale there! Another option would be to contact Jim Brockman of Brockmen Rifles in Gooding Idaho. He is a Marlin GUY. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/16/15.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That rifle should shoot! There are some common problems with lever action rifles that aren't hard to fix if you like to tinker. The first thing I do is make sure the forend and magazine tube are a little loose. Another thing to check is the butt stock to receiver fit. If the butt stock is loose it will not shoot good.

If you are not interested in trying to fix it yourself you still shouldn't have any problem selling it. There are plenty of people like me who buy rifles like that and do the fixes. I have a 336A 30-30 made in 1949 that was an ugly basket case and it turned into a real shooter. It is still ugly but it has shot several 100 yard 3 shot groups well under an inch.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yea what Marc says, please don't trash that rifle, it can be fixed.
I have 3 of them and 1" is not rare, 3-4" is.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
3-4" group at 100 yards with iron sights is not bad.I have had many Marlins that did no better until I (GASP) drilled and tapped them for a scope.I have always done better with hand loads in the 32 Special.I don`t get why so many people think all lever actions should shoot like a accurized bolt rifle.They just don`t.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First make sure buttstock is tight and bears evenly against receiver on both sides of tang without bearing at rear of tang. Inspect crown for concentricity/damage and freshen if necessary. Make sure bore is free of jacket fouling. Try different loads. My current Marlin .30-30 hates 150 core-lokt factory loads {2.5" 100 yd. groups} but groups 170 Federal power shoks under 1" all day long. Your forearm and mag tube DO NOT need to be loose to shoot good. I don't know where that notion ever came from but it's definitely not true.

T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok i'll give rifle a look over probably tomorrow i don't remembr s loose stock but we will see.the barrel is clean

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok thought i should add pics it is a 1949 marlin 32 spcl i guess i rembered wrong.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
[img:center]http://[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/tbear99/marlin32007_zpse7363ced.jpg[/img][/img]
[img:center]http://[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/tbear99/marlin32008_zps873b6967.jpg[/img][/img] [img:center][img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/tbear99/marlin32009_zps341aaa60.jpg[/img][/img] [img:center][img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p266/tbear99/marlin32010_zps779fc7c6.jpg[/img][/img]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

T
tbear99 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
ok stock fit looks good and crown look good.I don't expect a ragged hole like bolts but i shoot mostly lever guns and they all shoot better 3-4 inch

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes hard to do much better than 3-4" at 100 yds with factory iron sights. I bet if you mounted a nice Williams or older Lyman receiver sight on the side of that receiver and smaller 1/16" bead or sourdough post front sight your groups would tighten up. I have owned probablly a couple hundred Marlin leverguns over the years and I have never had one from that vintage that would not shoot unless the crown was dinged or the bore fouled/leaded badly.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Try a Williams receiver sight on it.Do a trigger job on it.The butt stock does not have a through bolt it is held on by a bolt through the upper and lower tang.Nothing you can do to the butt stock to enhance accuracy.You have the old style one piece trigger which is super easy to tune.Join these forums and get advice from some of the most knowledgeable folks around on Marlin Lever action Rifles. Link>>>>>>

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Last edited by Huntz; 01/17/15.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
Nothing you can do to the butt stock to enhance accuracy.
Hogwash. The receiver flats on either side of the tang act essentially as your recoil lug. You want even bearing of the stock on both sides and you definitely DO NOT want it teetering on the rear of the tang. Not only will that eventually split your stock but it ruins accuracy as badly as if the action were shucking around in the stock of a bolt gun due to poor inletting/bedding.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd start by chucking the crummy factory sights and installing a Williams receiver sight combined with a 1/16 or 3/32" flat faced ivory bead. That alone would likely cut your groups in half.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'd start by chucking the crummy factory sights and installing a Williams receiver sight combined with a 1/16 or 3/32" flat faced ivory bead. That alone would likely cut your groups in half.

I agree. Double your sight radius, cover less of the target, and things should look better.

Exactly what I did with my M94 .30-30. It works.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hogwash. The receiver flats on either side of the tang act essentially as your recoil lug. You want even bearing of the stock on both sides and you definitely DO NOT want it teetering on the rear of the tang. Not only will that eventually split your stock but it ruins accuracy as badly as if the action were shucking around in the stock of a bolt gun due to poor inletting/bedding.

I have many Marlins and none teeter in their butt stock.I have never bedded any .The only time that is of any value is when your butt stock is held on by a through bolt.Adding a through bolt could help,but is hardly worth the trouble of doing.As far as acting as a recoil lug????Are you on drugs???

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as acting as a recoil lug????Are you on drugs???
No I'm not on drugs but I am a gunsmith by profession and have worked on many Marlins over the years. How about yourself ?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Really, where is that? Ahh crickets,thats what I thought.

Last edited by Huntz; 01/18/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tbear99, at is a very fine 32spcl. known as a waffle top. from the condition of the outside I'd say if the inside looks as nice I would switch ammo. the 32spcl is coveted and your example would sell in a flash. you could easily get enough for say a new 1895 45-70 or such.
beautiful rifle, love the 3/4 magazine.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's a 336-A. Do not sell or alter in any way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.