Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Was just talking to a friend and we were speculating on how many of the people on 24 hourcampfire do recreational backpacking throughout the year. We both think that most of the people who frequent the Backpack Hunting forum probably also do recreational backpacking throughout the year. We also think that among the people who frequent other forums on 24hourcampfire, recreational backpacking throughout the year is probably less common.

What say you? Do you enjoy and participate in recreational backpacking throughout the year?

KC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes. For a few reasons, some of them related to hunting. First, I like to fish the backcountry because the fishing and scenery are almost always better the farther you can get from the road. Second, it's the best way to get in shape for the hunting season. Third, it's the best way to check out new gear before the hunting season. Fourth, my sons like to go and it's a great way to spend time with them. Fifth, no cell phone coverage.

I'm sure I left out a couple.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Though I have backpacked throughout the year (using skis & snowshoes in winter) mostly I just go for one or two backpack trips during the summer anymore, with my fly rod.

Sometimes I'll backpack in for a few days of hunting the high country as well, in the fall.

Guy

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I do every now and then smile

I suspect most here do as your hypothesis

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I do, and not enough. I like backpacking into a place where you can fish...why else would you pack in LOL! The white cloud mountains have some of my favorite hikes.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Why cross-post? crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Why cross-post? crazy

Ironbender:

Wider exposure for the subject. only a few people frequent the Backpack Hunting forum but more people visit the campfire.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's a good thread, IMO, but splits responses and is more difficult to follow.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not unless there is the opportunity for me to carry dead things on my way out (fins, feathers or fur). Cuz if I'm not hunting I'm fishing and vice versa. Once hunting season closes its back to the oceans.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

wildone:

I usually carry a lightweight tackle outfit and keep an eye out for targets of opportunities. Some times I carry a small game rifle.

KC

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I go several times each year. The Black Hills don't offer the quality of trips as Idaho but we find Wyoming' s Bighorns to be very nice. We don't hunt or kill fish on these trips. We try out new dried food recipes and don't want the hassle of cooking fish.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I find cooking the fish one of the treats of the trip. Pack a little foil and some spices and your set.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NTG
I find cooking the fish one of the treats of the trip. Pack a little foil and some spices and your set.

I know it is that simple in Idaho but not where I live. In the Black Hills we are not allowed a fire ANYWHERE outside the approved fire grates, plus there are no lakes to hike to although there are a few creeks we can hike along. In Wyoming's Bighorns we have to carry a fire blanket - seems most don't follow this regulation.

During our warm weather wilderness time campfires are becoming infrequent. I'm sure I could figure out how to use a stove and aluminum foil to cook a fish but why? The meals we carry in are very tasty and we always carry out food.

Headed on an 8 day wilderness canoe trip where we'll have a meal or two of fish.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
During extreme drought periods, Idaho also prohibits open fires except in established camp grounds. It's happened twice in the last few years here in so. ID.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I do but not often enough. Good time to try out gear. Currently training young goats to be packers. In a few years I'll be able to take along some luxeries.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would like to but don't. I don't live in a place that's all that condusive for backpacking. Couple that with saving my leave and kitchen passes for hunting means I don't really do it. Now if I can just convince my wife to move...

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

pointer:

I was looking at the map of Indiana and spotted a National Forest and some State Parks that are pretty big and one would think that there is room for some backpack trips. Lots of roads though. Brown County State Park seems to have a couple of fairly large tracts without roads. Might be worth looking into. Lake Monroe might offer an opportunity for good canoeing.

KC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To reiterate what I'd posted on the other thread, I've done a lot of backpacking but about 5 years ago we got into these things. As we get older, a few heavier luxuries sure are nice on the trail. I can go a lot farther when I'm light on my feet, not to mention when there's meat to be packed.

As a followup to this photo:
About 5 min after I took this, my wife raised her arms to pull her hair back. She didn't have hold of the lead and the llama spooked a bit from her arm wave. As soon as he found he was loose, he headed for camp at high speed. We chased him down off the mountain and for the next half hour. We'd come up in the dark and he got lost about half way to camp and was going in circles. I'd get about 10 yds from him, and he'd take off again. Finally, I left my wife to keep track of him an hiked down to camp for another llama. Once I got that one up there, this one walked right up and I caught him. I was ready to field test my rifle on the bugger.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Llamas would be handy, Rock. I've ran into pack goats a time or two. Now they intrigue me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
take a look at northwestpackgoats.com for a lot of good info on goat packing. They're located in Weippe.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.