Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any competent gunsmith with a 300 savage reamer can do that, all your doing is shortening the over all length of your chamber so you can crib the 300 reamer a bit deeper to get past the 308 dimensions. You loose maybe 1/2" of of threads and the somith simply re threads it deeper. I don't explain things very well mate but i'm sure oldgunsmith or gunplumber, one of the boys here can do a much better job.

John

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shorten the barrel and the forearm stud is in the wrong place to mate with the hole.

Probably easier to buy another postmil in 300 and swap barrels.

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/16/15.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just have to do a little pruning on the forend then Rory, thats what chain saws are for. You have to do that if correct head space issues that way also

Johno

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
Looks like something a pimp might buy.

My dad is a former USMC Scout/Sniper, he bought one 2-3 months ago and thinks its pretty nice...doesn't hurt that it shoots damn good(of course he thinks the .308 is a pretty fair cartridge too).

Don't think ANYBODY would ever call him a "pimp".

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So, we have two people (1 is me) that has shot this gun and demonstrated that it is damn accurate, especially for a lever gun. Refine the wood so it cosmetically is better looking. Then what makes this gun not superior in function to the pre-war guns? In fact, if it is inferior as so many say, what makes this gun inferior? Surely the latter 99's were made of the most up-to-date metals.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1899guy
So, we have two people (1 is me) that has shot this gun and demonstrated that it is damn accurate, especially for a lever gun. Refine the wood so it cosmetically is better looking. Then what makes this gun not superior in function to the pre-war guns? In fact, if it is inferior as so many say, what makes this gun inferior? Surely the latter 99's were made of the most up-to-date metals.

It all boils down to personal preference. If you like your gun, that's just cool beans. Guns (not ONLY Savages) that were made in the period of MAJOR competition had to cut corners wherever they could. Quality suffered. You've got stamped parts where they were once machined. You have wood either without any embellishments OR ugly fugly pressed checkering. Almost NO hand fitting (inletting) of wood to metal. You just can NOT compare the quality of ANYTHING from yesteryear where pride in craftsmanship mattered. You are talking for the most part to a group that enjoys the finer things in life and prefer NOT to own an ugly anything.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The biggest strike against the so-called Anniversary gun is that it came out in a Winchester cartridge. Going all the way back to the .303 probably wouldn't have been popular either but going to .300 Savage would have been a much better choice. Who wants a Savage anniversary gun with a Winchester cartridge??

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They sold 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin wink

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem Savage had in 1970 was the Savage cartridges were deader than they are now. The .308 and .243 saw to that. They made 9999 or 10,000 of them, depending on what you read, and they wouldn't have sold 500 of 'em in .300 or .250. Those of us who appreciate them now probably would not have bought one in those calibers back then either, or at least we would have been one of the 500 that might. Time has a way of making us reflect back on what we should have done (which is why almost none of us has a closet full of NIB Savage 99s' we could have bought back then), but the worst thing Savage could have done is call it an "authentic reproduction". That, it wasn't.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hate is such a strong word.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 75th is a pig in lipstick and high heels.

Comparing it to anything Savage made before 1960 and especially anything made in Utica is like comparing a Yugo to Lamborghini.

It's an embarrassing black eye the in Savage 99 history

If somebody wants to kill deer with it and punch holes in paper, I ain't going to try and stop them, but don't ask why Savage guys don't like it and then get all defensive when we tell you why.

If somebody has one and loves it, WTF would they need our blessing to own it?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So, you are saying that you are technically unable to answer the question, and feel compelled to cover up your inability to reply to an honest question, with insults and sarcasm? Ok, if you don't know, just say so. Geeez. In the end your opinion may well be correct. I was just wondering why, technically. Specifically. If all you can do is insult and not help some of us newbies to understand, you might just want to listen to what Thumpers Father told him. And it seems that 1,000 "Savage Guys" did like the thing. I like mine. Am I not enough of a "Savage Guy"??? And I don't need your approval nor anyone elses to do anything. I was just asking some questions, much like the original poster of this issue did. Since when does sitting behind a keyboard give license to rudeness? Isn't this site designed to share information with each other and learn, or is it now a place to hold court and pounce on new people not in the right click?

Last edited by 1899guy; 01/17/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1899guy
So, you are saying that you are technically unable to answer the question, and feel compelled to cover up your inability to reply to an honest question, with insults and sarcasm? Ok, if you don't know, just say so. Geeez. In the end your opinion may well be correct. I was just wondering why, technically. Specifically. If all you can do is insult and not help some of us newbies to understand, you might just want to listen to what Thumpers Father told him. And it seems that 1,000 "Savage Guys" did like the thing. I like mine. Am I not enough of a "Savage Guy"??? And I don't need your approval nor anyone elses to do anything. I was just asking some questions, much like the original poster of this issue did. Since when does sitting behind a keyboard give license to rudeness? Isn't this site designed to share information with each other and learn, or is it now a place to hold court and pounce on new people not in the right click?

I'm with you friend, no need for rudeness when a gentle answer will do. Some people show little restraint, myself included in that group at times. Duly noted.

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had to look up what Thumper's father said... but actually it was Thumper's mother. That's why I couldn't remember.
I guess we all wax rude on the internet from time to time, but it doesn't make it acceptable.
I'm glad you enjoy your rifle 1899guy.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actually, Thumpers Mother was asking Thumper to quote "what your Father said". Sad that it is that I remember this so well, yet can't find my car after 30 minutes of grocery shopping. . . And in regard to my rifle (75th), I hate the color of the wood. Looks a bit yellow. I dislike the brass butt plate, as much as I dislike the brass plated lever. But since the wood was refined, and it shoots so friggin well, it is growing on me. Its still ugly though, just like the others said, but its prettier than most bolt guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am I not enough of a "Savage Guy"???

Owning a Savage doesn't make you anymore of a "Savage Guy" than owning an Aston Martin makes you James Bond.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But owning a computer makes us all hero's. smile

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Right click? When I right click I get a window opening that gives options of Undo/Cut/Copy/Paste/etc. Methinks you mean right "clique"? (Or perhaps "correct clique"?) Now don't get your panties in a wad. My eye goes to such errors and whether or not I comment on them is dependent on whether I got laid the night before. smile

As for 75th Anniversary guns, I don't care for them because they didn't bring it out in .22 High Power! crazy (Well that and because in my mind they're too garish by half, and I don't appreciate a sharp curved butt plate on something with the snappy recoil of a .308. Were I a serious collector I would have one as a hole filler in my collection- hopefully sealed in its original box. grin )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gnoahhh, good points all. I recently purchased a .303 that is no bigger than the .22 Hi Power, in barrel length and weight. Its in pristine condition with serial numbers 222,05x Now a commemorative in that size rifle would have been pretty sweet, but thats just me. I tend to favor the lighter weight 99's.

N
N
Originally Posted by 21
This sure is an old thread, but since it has returned.........Get past the glitz-----and comparatively speaking in relation to other commemoratives it's not much, it is a factory heavy barreled non-tang safety Savage 99 in the most accurate caliber ever put in this particular rifle that shoots lights out---at least mine does.

I like the octagon barrel, old style safety, straight stock, brass follower, and once you get past the glitz, it's a pretty nice shooter, IMNSHO. I kinda like the rifle.

Was bored at a gunshow, traded a rifle I couldn't get to shoot, and got a rifle that is a pretty good shooter.

I'm thinking of loading up some cast for it, again. My first attempt was not all that successful, I was getting lead on the necks of my fired cases. After abandoning the cast venture, I loaded up some 155 Hornady A-Max bullets, pretty pleased with the results.

It's a way better gun than any of the Winchester '94 Commemorative stuff, IMHO. Although I do like my Bat Masterson 30-30.

[Linked Image]

Williams receiver on the back, some sort of globe thing on the front, just like when I bought it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.