Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Someone once told me if u bait a turkey with grain the turkey will come check that spot everyday. Any one know if that's true

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ask anyone in West Va.!!!! Bait is deadly.. One of the old timers there used to tell me the best turkey call in the world is yellow corn!!! It is probably illegal now. Not that is would worry most of the guys I knew..

Molon Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In our state many "grain piles" are out to make it easier for a person to harvest a wild turkey. I can't call it hunting anymore than the use of feeders for deer can be called hunting. I have come across more grain piles than I care to and feel strongly that they aren't used during the season. Some of the "outfitters" use the old "well, we just use them to keep some turkeys around". Right, then their clients blast them when the flock moves in to feed after the conditioning period is well underway. You can keep them around by having good natural habitat. You don't need to cheat.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kentucky cracked down big time on turkey baiting about a decade ago. It was getting so the then-current laws were becoming impossible to enforce. Now? They are damn hard to observe.

For instance, nowadays if a field of corn is harvested and some corn falls on the ground, a fellow hunting on the next property over can be nailed for hunting over bait. He doesn't even have to know the corn is there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ask anyone in West Va.!!!! Bait is deadly.. One of the old timers there used to tell me the best turkey call in the world is yellow corn!!! It is probably illegal now. Not that is would worry most of the guys I knew..

It's excellent bait, but so is a guy with a good call. No sport killing a bird over bait and yes it is illegal for deer and turkey.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
StudDuck has it right. For what a baited "hunt" costs. You can take the money, buy a good, well cleaned domestic bird and have a naked chick fix it for you with all the trimmings and still have enough left over for "desert".-Mike

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Wasn't asking for opinions just wanted to know if it works

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go play your Banjo, Sport.-Mike

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Legal where I hunt, and yes it works like a charm. Early season, just calling is still way more fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the old timers there used to tell me the best turkey call in the world is yellow cornacorns!!!

Changed it to what I heard. And no, I don't turkey hunt. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The most turkey I ever seen in one place was after we mowed down a played out field of half runners .The ground was speckled with white from beans that busted out of their pods when the blades hit them ,and the next day the field was an all you can eat buffet for the turkeys

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was stationed at Ft Riley KS, right around the time the fall turkey season opened, early Oct, we would have a grasshopper explosion. All you had to do was glass any field with any kind of grass, the turkeys were out in all of the fields gorging on hoppers. The warmer the afternoon, the better as it got the grasshoppers moving. I forget how many turkeys I killed there, but they all had their craws full of grasshoppers. It was fun to stalk them that way.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Someone once told me if u bait a turkey with grain the turkey will come check that spot everyday. Any one know if that's true

yellow yelper helper legal in iowa?????

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone who hasn't read Robert Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy needs to read the whole book, but Chapter 7, "Somebody Else's Turkey Always Tastes Better", would be especially interesting to those participating in this thread.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Calling a Tom Turkey in is the real fun in Turkey hunting , anyone can just shoot one over bait. The best bait i have ever seen in the Turkey country is a mowed field full of Grass Hoppers and it is hilarious watching the Turkeys running in circles trying to catch them .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I would say "yes"....

[Linked Image]

Savage99F358

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I forget how many turkeys I killed there, but they all had their craws full of grasshoppers. It was fun to stalk them that way.

Nothing like turkey with grasshopper stuffing! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't shoot Turkeys here at the Ranch in N. TX. Mainly because I don't like to eat them. Most of the wild turkeys here in TX eat way too many grasshoppers to taste worth a damn.

I do keep a feeder running for them, year round, though, as I like to photograph and watch them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't asking for opinions just wanted to know if it works

Check your game laws.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

Page 33:

"PROHIBITED DEVICES & ACTIVITIES
You may not use live decoys, dogs (except
in the fall), horses, phones, radios, motorized
vehicles, aircraft, bait, recorded or electronically
amplified turkey calls or electronically amplified
imitations of turkey calls or sounds when
hunting turkeys. Paraplegics and single- or
double-leg amputees may hunt from any stationary
motor-driven conveyance. “Paraplegic”
means an individual afflicted with paralysis of
the lower half of the body with the involvement
of both legs, usually due to disease or injury to
the spinal cord.

“Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts,
hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural
food materials, commercial products containing
natural food materials, or by-products of such
materials transported to or placed in an area
for the purpose of attracting wildlife. Bait does
not include food placed during normal agricultural
activities."

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Let me tell you up front that I love to call turkey, and I rarely screw up a successful turkey hunt by killing one brought to the call.

On the other hand when I want one for the table, if you consider a harvested peanut field or a grain field bating them, I'm guilty. Our law allows such. Besides that, that is where the plump good eating ones are to be found. Turkey existing on juniper berries are not fit for the table, IMHO.

JACK

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 42 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.