Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Looking for a quality bag that is compressible, light, wide & warm to 0�. I sleep with my knees drawn up so it can't be narrow.

Your help?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my Enlightened Equipment quilts. I'll never go back to a bag

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Agnes Classic series. Sort of a tweener between an mummy and a rectangular bag. Pad attaches to bag making it impossible to roll off.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Looking for a quality bag that is compressible, light, wide & warm to 0�. I sleep with my knees drawn up so it can't be narrow.

Your help?

Down or syn?

You can flex using a narrower bag. It's described as 'wearing' the bag as opposed to being 'in' it. FWIW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd recommend the Mountain Hardware Phantom 800 fill, 0 degree down bag. This will be my 4th year with this bag and I've put it through the paces in the CO Rockies, camping in 2nd rifle season elk hunts at altitudes from 9,000 to 11,000 feet. It has never failed me and I wouldn't trade it for any other 0 degree bag I've seen. I too sleep with my knees drawn up and, although the MH bag IS NOT a wide bag, it does moves nicely with whatever position you sleep. I have another synthetic fill 0 degree bag that does not compare for warmth.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/23/15.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Given that you are from WARM Texas and perhaps not very experienced at sleeping in cold weather and require a wide, warm bag; I would strongly suggest a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone which is a SUPERB bag and WILL keep you warm, allow you the space you desire and, with appropriate care, last a lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Your help?

Down or syn?

You can flex using a narrower bag. It's described as 'wearing' the bag as opposed to being 'in' it. FWIW.
It's sure hard to put your socks on in one of those, though. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Your help?

Down or syn?

Not this one:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/Feathered-Friends-Rock-Wren

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
do a search for Wiggy's. Made in Alaska, and have been recommended to me by folks up there. I already have an Alaska Sleeping Bag, bag, which is good to -30, so haven't gotten one of theirs yet. I have been told my old goose down one not the best because if hunting and it gets wet, won't dry very well. But never had that problem, so don't know. Wiggy's are some other sort of fill material. I also have a govt. surplus Mummy bag, which is part down and part feathers, and works fine probably down to 0. Used it, before I got the Alaska one, in the mountains were we got 8" of snow. was fine in the pup tent we had then. Also, one time, when hitchhiking, slept in it under a picnic table in Yellowstone when it snowed during the night. Had just put it in a BIG plastic barrel liner to keep it dry.

Last edited by ghost; 01/23/15.

Ghost
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Your help?

Down or syn?

Not something I do, but OK! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ghost
do a search for Wiggy's. Made in Alaska....... I already have an Alaska Sleeping Bag, bag, which is good to -30, so haven't gotten one of theirs yet.

Wiggy's factory is in Grand Junction CO. His bags are rectangular, which fits the OP's criteria, but they're not known for being lightweight, which doesn't.

Personally, I'm not comfortable recommending gear I've never tried.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Your help?

Western Mountaineering Kodiak, or Sequoia. I'd get the more mummy shaped Kodiak as it will sleep warmer, but I'm not you.

Only other bag I'd consider is Valadre. But if you're looking to save money, the top end Marmot or Montbell bags.

Wiggy's have their place in the trunk of a car, but that's about it.

Feathered Friends are nice enough, but I've never found them at the quality level of Western or Valandre.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
I
I
Western mountaineering Versalite. lots of room to pull your feet up very warm, very light

N
nae Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I am 6'3"-210# and claustrophobic in mummy bags. Tried the WM Kodiak but couldn't do it. Have a couple Wiggys that I like but too heavy and bulky to pack sometimes.Now have a long-wide Kifaru -20 slick bag that works great. Comfortable to 0, packs small and weighs just under 5# and not the least bit constricting to me. Also synthetic insulation which I prefer.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by nae
I am 6'3"-210# and claustrophobic in mummy bags. Tried the WM Kodiak but couldn't do it. Have a couple Wiggys that I like but too heavy and bulky to pack sometimes.Now have a long-wide Kifaru -20 slick bag that works great. Comfortable to 0, packs small and weighs just under 5# and not the least bit constricting to me. Also synthetic insulation which I prefer.

This. I have a 0 degree, "wide" Slick bag. Spendy, but worth every penny considering.

Sleeping bags are second only to boots in terms of use on most hunts. Lots of guys balk at a $400 bag, but think that's "cheap" for a rifle. Never understood that thinking.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Brad

Your help?

Only other bag I'd consider is Valadre. But if you're looking to save money, the top end Marmot or Montbell bags.

I love Montbell bags for the stretch capability. Mine are a 30 and 0 and several years old so I'm not sure if they have changed. They are the only bags I have found that I don't frequently wake up with that panicked/tied up feeling. I'm 6'2 215 with wide shoulders.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IslandAlpine
Western mountaineering Versalite. lots of room to pull your feet up very warm, very light

I have a Versalite, love it, but I doubt it meets the OP's criteria for roominess.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djb
They are the only bags I have found that I don't frequently wake up with that panicked/tied up feeling. I'm 6'2 215 with wide shoulders.

LOL, great description!

I'm only 5'10" 155lbs, so I can use a smaller bag, but I've had a couple that were tight enough I've experienced that feeling! But I've been using mummy bags for 40 years now and that hasn't happened in a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.