Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
That's fine. It's clear your goal is no nonresident hunters anyway. You have more to do with the decision than I do. You live there. Currently it is legal for me to come hunt there so I will. When it's not I won't. No worries.

In my experience the resident BC hunter has always had a lot or respect for the old multigenerational guide outfitters. They also very much wanted to share BCs unequalled hunting expiriences with their fellow foreign hunters. The problem is the new generation outfitters, more banker than cowboys who have a very low tolerance for resident hunters. Any outfitter worth his day rate should have no problem competing with the local hunters as they have more time and toys.They just dont want to work that hard.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
There is little doubt that we are going to end up with more and more species on a limited entry system. While the Guide/ outfitters may support this, it isn't necessarily their fault. It is the fault of wildlife biologists who are in bed with other special interest groups whose desire is to reduce game populations. In this region of the East Kootenays, the elk population has been reduced by well over 70%. This was not done by guided non-residents but by BC resident hunters. Moose population on the upper Flathead has been decimated. This was not done by guided non-residents but by resident hunters who took advantage of an open season and increased access.
I will probably not live long enough to see the elk come back and it really annoys me.
As far as the first nations/aboriginal/indian impact is concerned, there is little question that in some areas they are the worst game hogs we have but they have plenty of help and many are BCWF members.
It is astounding to me that such a huge province with such a valuable resource can have screwed it up so badly in such a short time but in too many cases a look in the mirror shows the root problem. GD

That's a completely different topic than the allocation issue. We're talking about the guides being gifted exclusive access to game animals that BC residents want to hunt.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Correct, Jim, and it is all too easy to be distracted from the REAL issue here, which is another "giveaway" of BC/Canadian resources to (usually) wealthy foreigners by craven, treacherous and morally bankrupt government(s).

Having actually worked for F&W and BCFS, I will say that the "bios" and other such staffers do what they are TOLD and you soon are turfed if you dare contradict the official attitude at the time, ecological issues notwithstanding.

So, while blaming the "bios" is an old game and SOME residents have/do take more than is acceptable and even legal, the GOs and foerigners STILL take game/fish which residents now need and MUST have, especially in the Kootenays.

Motorized access IS an issue, but, many residents cannot afford packtrains and some of us are 65+ and need our 4x4s; I do not and have never even ridden on any type of ATV.

So, if we just had genuine goodwill among user groups and governments that would support real management, there would STILL be plenty for all.....but, we have seen how that goes!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
That's a completely different topic than the allocation issue. We're talking about the guides being gifted exclusive access to game animals that BC residents want to hunt.

And have to apply for a tag in the loto system to hunt. There was 1000 people at a rally at the legislature buildings on Monday. And still the government hasn't budged or indicated giving back quota stolen from resident hunters. All other party leaders are on side with resident hunters and spoke at the rally in opposition to the governments policy which is encouraging but we have a long ways to go to defeat this.

Last edited by Salty303; 03/06/15.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This, is ONLY the very beginning of the battle for control/conservation of OUR resources and the stakes are simply enormous.

I would point out that the accursed Columbia River Treaty, among the most vile "sellouts" in Canada's history is currently being renegotiated...AND, rather quietly.

The effects of both the political process involved and the impact on what WAS the greatest salmonid river system on Earth, will be the defining event of 21stC BC history, well, at least equal to the "Asian invasion" now destroying our traditional culture.

We MUST "grow" our hunting culture and, especially among the educated, erudite and politically astute and powerful segment of BC society and we MUST reinvigorate our sense of nationalist ownership and control of OUR BC.....NOW!

I am heartened by what is happening, but, it is a ripple in a sea where a tsunami is required; let's hope that the movement grows and continues.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.