Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a Leupold VX-2 1-4 with the standard duplex. I sent it to Premier Reticles and had their #4 installed. The center wires were still too thin for me. The had the #4, #4A, and #4E which had very thick posts, a thicker center wire, and the center area was more narrow. I wish I would have had that one installed. My son has the scope now. I have 2 scopes with the post & duplex reticle and the center wires are as thick as a heavy duplex and they work great for me. YMMV.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned multiple reticle types and keep coming back to #4 as my preferred. I see no purpose in an upper vertical post and think them them completely superfluous. Of the half dozen or so folks I have shown a #4 all have agreed on seeing on an improvement in acquisition time over a duplex. I even think a few did not know they were called 'German". blush
They may not be the cats meow for a lot of long range stuff, I can't say, but for shots consistently in the 50-150+ yd range they are in my book.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It looks like the Leupold Post and Duplex may be a good option.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whitedogone
OK, so I love me a German #4 retical. Burris seems to have all but eliminated them from the FF lineup. It seems they all have the B plex now. This is the most useless retical for the type of hunting I do. I need a 2x7 for a upper build with a #4. Whats a fella to do?

Solution is surprisingly easy thing to fix if money is no object:

Magnum with lots of eye relief.....

Big panacea for Sako 85 owners with rifles that have case hitting scope ejection problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scott,

The reticle in your picture is very similar to the Iron Sight, Inc., #1 style, what they used to call their "German #1" style, that I had installed on a couple of Denver Redfield 2-7x scopes. I find this reticle to very quick (obvious?) to the eye in heavy cover and under lower light conditions, but I don't know if it significantly quicker to the eye, or even if "quick to the eye" could be measured, than Leupold's heavy duplex.

IC B2

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like this one

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's the one I like.

Sent a my 2.5x8 VX3 to Leupold for a #1. Very happy with it.

Scott

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I find the #1 to be imprecise to my eyes/brain past about 150 yards. I know that technically it is not, but my brain didn't want to use it past that, especially on moving targets.

The #4 of some type is still the best IMO, even if it is spread too wide and is too thin in the center. It still really pulls the eye to where it needs to be.

I actually think that the Zeiss #20 is about perfect.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looked at the nikon #4 at Cabelas today. The x-hairs in the center were way too thin for my liking.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would agree with that, but I don't plan to shoot anything very far from the muzzles of the rifles upon which these scopes are currently installed. Under 100+/- yards in thick creek-bottom cover I find them easy to shoot on moving targets. That said, I seldom feel the need to shoot running game, as I am usually the only hunter on the ground where I hunt. If I don't have a sure shot, I'm more likely to pass on the shot, unless the animal in question is worthy of a trip to the taxidermist.

My hunting in SD is all in open ranch land, 25-06 with 4-12x40 standard duplex country.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In that case, I'd give the #1 a try. You sure cannot ever miss seeing it, and it nicely leaves the top of the field open.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Stupidity knows no bounds, I guess people would rather gaze thru a complicated reticle for their 25 -100 yard kill shot on a deer .

+1.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
cumminscowboy wrote: "a properly designed duplex does the exact same thing."
--

Sorry, but that's just not the case. I can assure you that on the type of targets I shoot (primarily dark-colored hogs under nothing but moonlight or in very poor daylight), you can't tell where a Leupold or Swaro duplex begins or ends -- and that is the case with many narrow/thin duplex-types. The Zeiss #20 and Nikoplex are exceptions and are heavier and can be made to work, but a good #4 (like what Zeiss once offered) is truly invaluable in getting the crosshairs aligned on the vitals. The Burris #3P4 is also a very good low-light reticle.

Clarify, are the posts heavier than a Burris standard Plex and do they extend closer to center than the Plex? I've tried to find a substension chart on the Burris website and had no luck.

I have an E1 3-9x40 with standard Plex (discontinued) I bought with the specific plan of having a Heavy Plex installed. Was told by Burris CS the Heavy Plex is discontinued, though they still show it as a special order option even now. Maybe the 3P#4 will be a good substitute.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/customer-service/ballistics-services

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.