24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got (had) two that I consider backup/loaners. One is a Model 70 PF 30-06 I picked up for a small fee. Looked like it had spent more time bumping around in the bed of a pickup than anything else. Bedded it in an old B&C stock with original aluminum 2-pc floorplate, (was a BB previously) and gave it a couple coats of Duracoat. Turned out looking pretty good and shoots 180 Hornadys over a full case of RL22 well under an inch. My son adopted the rifle and thought it worthy of a Trijicon scope. Now seems to be his full time elk rifle. Looking for something similar again for another backup/loaner.

The other loaner is a Marlin XS7 in 243 with a weaver classic mounted. Shoots under MOA. Don't much care if someone drops it or scratches it as long as they aren't just being careless...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have loaned a few but mostly, if they are that interested in hunting, I just give them a rifle.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have puzzled over this one quite a bit. Do you loan a new hunter a rifle that you would never abuse? NO. Do you loan them a rifle that is barely functional? NO. Do they need a rifle with a $500 scope that will serve as a cushion for their first tumble? NO.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that a good old Mauser with a vintage steel Weaver scope of 4x will be just fine. You can handload the 8x57 upwards by a considerable margin over factory fodder, but the factory stuff still goes BOOM and kills animals. My old Mauser has the military barrel on it, shoots well, and has a Boyds replacement stock. Not a prom queen, but no junker, either.

I refuse to loan out my nice hunting rifles, no matter how many I have, to just any ole' Joe. When they can afford to spend what I do on a rifle, they will come to understand my position!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Pay no attention to huntsman, his rifles are all .270's.....

Now that is a sad commentary.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Loaner?

As long as you're willing to accommodate others, they're willing to let you. I figured that out pretty quick.

"I've got lots of friends. And, the fun never ends. But, that's as long as I'm buying."
Styx

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've had more Leupolds fail than any other scope. I'd for damn sure never recommend them to anyone. Thread's getting sidetracked P town man.. It's not about scopes, it's about rifles and ones we loan out.. wink Hint..

Opinions and experiences vary don't they?
The OP asked about scopes. Did you miss that?

What did your post have to do with the subject?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by smokepole
Pay no attention to huntsman, his rifles are all .270's.....

Now that is a sad commentary.

it's a sad world...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Loaner?

As long as you're willing to accommodate others, they're willing to let you. I figured that out pretty quick.

"I've got lots of friends. And, the fun never ends. But, that's as long as I'm buying."
Styx

Truer words were never spoken. I have introduced numerous friends and colleagues to hunting over the years, and strangely, when it was time to buy their own gear, the interest suddenly faded.

Sometimes people have never been taught how to respect their own property, or that of others.

A nephew recently went hunting with some family members. 'Mom' had purchased a Wal-Mart combo (Savage 110 & Tasco scope) for the boy previous to the hunt. Imagine my B-I-L's surprise after hearing numerous tumbles and curses to see the boy walking in rough terrain with his hands in his pockets, rifle slung over one shoulder. The nephew never made any effort to protect the rifle during his falls, just bam! Down again. A later check of the zero indicated a 2 foot discrepancy at 100 yards. Of course, the setup now has more "character" after a 5 day season than most rifles see in a lifetime.

And that, gentlemen, is why I am shy of lending anything of real value to a beginning nimrod.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had more Leupolds fail than any other scope. I'd for damn sure never recommend them to anyone. Thread's getting sidetracked P town man.. It's not about scopes, it's about rifles and ones we loan out.. wink Hint..

Dancing bear is right BSA, the OP absolutely asked about scopes, and your swipe at leupold was a definite side track, congrats?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't have a lot of what I call true friends. However for those that are my friends, their friendship means more to me than any hunk of steel and wood. If they need a rifle they can have their pick of anyone I have.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same for me. I have left firearms with true friends for extended periods of time knowing they would care for them as much or more than I would. BUT, if I take a newbie out for their first hunt they either bring their own rifle, or I MAY let them use whichever one I have that they like the best. I don't loan guns. and I don't have any "beater" rifles I'd let just anyone use.
I let Docrocket use a 38-55 in wyoming once on a small deer walk about, I let my nephew use my wife's 6x45 last year. I've even shared a prairiedog rifle with folks whilst we were out. but in every instance I either trusted them completely, or was right next to them while they used it. some other folks may be more free with their guns, I am not.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well said.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 270jrk

Dancing bear is right BSA, the OP absolutely asked about scopes, and your swipe at leupold was a definite side track, congrats?

While I prefer Z over L these days, I have had a LOT of L scopes and have had 1 fail so far. Have had one Z give up the ghost on tracking so far, other than a bad display one I bought many years ago in the 80s...

Saying L is the worst shows no knowledge of much of anything. Of course if you had 2 L and they both failed, and 3 bsa thta have never been used I could maybe see the odds.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You guys don't get it if you love your rifles more than introducing a young person to hunting. Pick up a gun that doesn't cost an arm and a leg match it with a similar scope and take a young man or woman to the field and the range.

Think "truck gun" with a more noble purpose. I wouldn't loan my primary rifle out without being there, it has too much sentimental value and I count on it too much. A cheap accurate rifle and a dependable scope that you can loan to a young person or hunting acquaintance in camp can create a new hunter or rescue someone's hunting trip.

My savage 243 works perfect for deer, I'm planning to set up a RAR 30-06 with a 3-9 VX2 this year for elk. The only downside is that sometimes you lose these to sons and grandsons or close friends when they become attached. There are worse things than having your grandson remember you fondly every hunting season long after you are gone.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess I am one of those you just labled as not "getting it". I've mentored more than a few people and helped them make an intelligent selection of their own as well as coached them on setup and sighting in. Donated plenty of time to new hunters, watched some of them sell their guns after the season for cash to buy rubber dog sh*t and other things with no or little value by my values. Poor money management and lack of values they suffer, if they can't borrow one they buy one cheap and ammo at whatever mart. Save your lecture and rebuttal period. If I go on a distant hunt I take along a full confidence backup gun so I will never ever ask someone to borrow their weapon. Guns, money, dogs ,women, and vehicles I don't loan or borrow . Way I figure it if you want to hunt, providing your own weapon is part of it. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a rifle that could be a loaner but I've never had a need to loan it. I offered it to my partner last fall when his house was burgled and his guns stolen but he bought a new one first.
It's an old Rem 721. If I loaned it, the borrower would have very specific directions to never carry it with a round chambered. The safety is loose and can jiggle to the fire position while being carried.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was fortunate enough to grow up in a hunting family and always had some kind of rifle and shotgun to shoot until I bought my own when I was 17 a long time ago.

I did borrow a shotgun once from a hunting partner when I left mine in a truck a few miles away from the field when we shared a ride to the field. That was darned nice to have when the doves flew by. Other than that time I typically share magnum man's philosophy of a weapon and a backup.

Not everyone has the same advantages as folks who are born hunting and shooting but it doesn't stop the driven guys and gals who jump in with both feet. The on the fence group are the ones who benefit from the loan of a rifle. Some of those people will stick with hunting others won't. I think long term there is a benefit to the ones who stick and even the ones who don't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have lost track of how many bucks being shot with a loaner Mauser, Arisaka, Enfield, etc in drives in PA over the years.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well like I said earlier, still not fond of the idea of loaning a rifle. Have probably more than I need for sure. Excuses to buy a different one are what are in short supply. So it now appears that if I rationalize the next purchase as a loaner ,I won't wonder why the fck I did that. I knew this thread had some merit, just had to dig hard to find it. Hmmm, that little M700 ADL with a stainless Mtn rifle barrel on it in 260 I saw this afternoon for $400 looks like a likely candidate. I'm getting into the swing of this loaner concept now. So how many can you buy for "loaners" before the concept rings hollow? Magnum_Man

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My loaner rifle is a Rem 7400 synthetic in 30-06. Gets great accuracy. Never had to loan it out, and offered it several times
to young neighbors to go on a hunt with me. But nobody wants to hunt with an old woman, despite seeing me unload deer, antelope, elk from my truck in the past. So, heck with 'em.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
626 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.