Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Have an opportunity to hunt 4th season rifle this upcoming year and was wondering if anybody had some advice on the area. What I know is that it's a private ranch that buts up to an Indian reservation. Never been to Colorado and never hunted elk. I know I'll have to be physically fit and I will be. I was mostly concerned with elk movement at that time of year, and what I should be doing to insure a successful hunt. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by hawkman0206; 01/19/15.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the 4th season, it's depended on the weather. Lots of snow helps to move them out of the high country and on to the winter range. 741 is winter range. There should also be a local herd hanging around. To be honest if the elk are there you should do fine, if they aren't, well probably tag soup.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
Have an opportunity to hunt 4th season rifle this upcoming year and was wondering if anybody had some advice on the area. What I know is that it's a private ranch that buts up to an Indian reservation. Never been to Colorado and never hunted elk. I know I'll have to be physically fit and I will be. I was mostly concerned with elk movement at that time of year, and what I should be doing to insure a successful hunt. Any feedback would be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

Most of unit 741 is part of the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and they have their own DOW which is separate for Colorado. Unit 741 are draw tags and for the three season only about 70 tags issued thru Colorado DOW. Unit 741 also has private land owner tags and that's for cow tag and season runs from Sept 1 thru Jan 30.

unit 74 includes 741. You might want to find what tag your going to hunt on as more tags would be given out unit 74/741 and may stand better chances drawing one.

USMC
Life Member VFW
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you are hunting with someone who already is familiar with the ranch they will likely have an excellent idea of where the elk are but learning general elk tendencies is a good idea. Showing up in shape and able to hit targets the size of a gallon milk bottle at 300 yards from a good field rest is a very good idea.

Well broken in waterproof leather boots with enough insulation and clothing layers to add for sitting and take off for hiking. Orange hats are required in Co as well as 100 square inches above the waist. A baseball cap stocking cap and vest is about all you normally need. It probably gets colder in Iowa but climbing hills at elevation will require only light layers unless you want to be soaked with sweat. Then sitting on a windy knoll you will want something warm. I need a good backpack to haul out meat - that may not be required or could be essential depending on access and terrain.

Other than those basic things it depends on your area. Ask as many questions as you can and take a good look on google earth.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As stated, if you have snow up high, this would be a good tag, if not, it could be a bust. Would certainly be a better area for deer than elk. Don't want to talk you out of a workout program, but chances are you won't have to be in that good of shape for a ranch hunt there. Most likely will be sitting in place rather than doing a lot of hiking, unless it is a really big ranch.

Venor ergo sum
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The ranch is five miles from Hesperus. It's 12500 acres with a peak elevation of 10000 feet. That's what I know. I appreciate the feedback all, this trip is my first journey west and I just want to make sure that I don't come into it unprepared. I know bow hunting deer in Iowa is great but completely different then elk hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montoya Ranch ?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Montoya Ranch ?

It could be, to be honest, it's deal my friend is lining up, so I'm not sure of the name.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going to be a lot of scrub oak & sage brush. Maybe a couple hay fields. I've seen quite a few elk over in that area. Can you get an either sex tag?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hawkman0206
The ranch is five miles from Hesperus. It's 12500 acres with a peak elevation of 10000 feet. That's what I know. I appreciate the feedback all, this trip is my first journey west and I just want to make sure that I don't come into it unprepared. I know bow hunting deer in Iowa is great but completely different then elk hunting.

That sounds pretty promising with that size and elevation. But I did not think there was any country in 741 that went 10,000 ft? Sounds like you WILL have to be in shape. LOL

Last edited by txhunter58; 01/23/15.

Venor ergo sum
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Going to be a lot of scrub oak & sage brush. Maybe a couple hay fields. I've seen quite a few elk over in that area. Can you get an either sex tag?

What I was told is that I could get an any sex tag and a mule deer tag as well. I'm still waiting on the confirmation from the person arranging the hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get the either sex elk tag. Don't get the idea of getting a big bull, shoot the 1st legal bull you see. It will probably be a raghorn 5 point. And if there isn't a bull in the group, cows eat better. You'll have a chance of getting a good buck, the rut will just be starting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.