R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
M700 trigger - covered with residue from WD-40...:

[Linked Image]

Boys and girls, do NOT use that stuff on firearms... Please.

Sear was nearly immobile; the bolt stop was. The guy was lucky he didn't try to chamber a round. Somebody coulda died..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
+1 Lee

However, it works pretty good on lures for the Walleye here in the spring:-)

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
laugh Yeah, well, I gave up fishing years ago.. By the time you figure, license, tackle, boat, gas etc., that walleye in the store at $8/pound is about 1/10th the cost...

laugh laugh

Oh, and here's the firing pin from this same rifle.. No wonder he said he was getting 'light strikes'...

[Linked Image]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
And what do you use to clean up a mess like this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure it won't be the last one you'll see like this !

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have posted more than once regarding the mess that WD40 can make, these pics depict what I and others have been talking about. In my experience WD40 was completely immobilizing the firing pin in Browning BT99 shotguns. Anyone familiar with the BT99 knows they have a rather stout F/P spring, the varnish formed by WD40 was enough to prevent any movement of the F/P. Save the WD40 for fish attractant, squeaky hinges or whatever. Lube firearm mechanisms with whatever other lubricant is your lube of choice, there are a host of choices.

Last edited by gunswizard; 01/20/15.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ha da friends Auto 5 that had stocked working. Between wd40 and powder residue it wouldn't cycle.

I do wipe the outside with it when it is handy. Never on anything that functions.

Just my 2 cents.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have seen this exact same thing with Rem Oil and other oils if left for a long time and more oil just added over it. I have seen Hoppes gun oil do that in one application if left for a long time. I'm thinking it has something to do with oiling it when wet or dirty and never cleaning it physically. The old paraffin based oils like Pennzoil would do this horribly. I never let WD or any oil puddle or pool. I always wipe or blow out the excess. When I get a gun in like this I use Simple Green to wash this varnish right off.

I have maintained my personal Remington 1100 since day one in 1978 with WD-40 and it has nothing like this in it. I use it for duck hunting and regular trap shooting. It is 100% as the day I bought it other than the rubber gas seal. I changed it about 10 years ago because I felt it wouldn't hurt to put in a new one before a big out of town hunt. The trigger assembly on that gun gets filled with unburned powder, water and residue from firing. It's the dirtiest running firearm I have seen other than neglected Remington semi auto rifles. I use a pump bottle of WD40 to hose down my trigger assembly and then blow it out with compressed air. Then wipe down all the metal with it. Keeps it looking and running like new. I buy it by the gallon and use it for polishing chambers, wet sanding metal, and cleaning things.

For a proper lubrication I prefer Tri Flow to everything else. If nothing else it smells good. In the right conditions I bet even it will varnish up just like in the picture.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wtroger
And what do you use to clean up a mess like this.
Mostly elbow grease, stiff and/or power brushes to remove it.. KROIL actually helps quite a bit too. Normal mineral spirits or the like do bupkis..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
thanks for posting

I can use this thread for folks who do this....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's not from the WD-40
It's from neglect (not cleaning)

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would imagine Lee knew from the smell. Unmistakeable.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use lighter fluid on trigger assemblies. It has enough lube to do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
acetone.

WD40 is a water displacement product and is a very poor lubricant. I don't believe it was ever intended to be a lubricant. I think diesel fuel would be better. Try using Kroil for lube. If you're hunting/shooting in cold weather area please get everything as dry as possible.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Simple Green and hot water washes dried oil varnish and powder residue right off. It what I use for all firearm detail strip and clean jobs. It is what we were taught to use in gunsmith school. It works as good if not better than using my regular solvent tank and I keep the harsh stuff in my solvent tank. Simple Green is much safer to use for your body.

I load all the parts into a magnetic tray or bowl and spray down with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Go over everything with my electric toothbrush and then rinse with hot water. Blow off with compressed air, then place in the oven for 30 minutes at 220 degrees. Cleaned this way all parts will pass a white glove test for dirt. Then appropriately lube for the job at hand and reassemble.

Kroil is a great penetrating oil but is so thin it makes a terrible lube. It runs off and eventually evaporates much the same as WD40.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a Remington 700 .223 that I let my kid use on prairie dog hunts. One day a bullet came out of the case spilling ball powder into the action and trigger.
I cleaned it as best I could and when I
test fired it fired when I closed the bolt. Needless to day that trigger will never see a drop of oil from now on.
I think it is a dangerous design.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VM&P naptha helps with a stiff brush or steel wool but I've never had one that bad. Not as volatile as lacquer thinner but volatile enough to be dangerous. Being an amateur I can afford to wait and work with the stuff in the garage with the doors open.

Say, would a hot tank cleaner like for bluing save time?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
An ultrasonic is kind of handy.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have t used anything except Eezox and CorrosionX in about 20 years. Dry to touch is way to go! Doesn't thicken in cold, gum, or collect crud

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Try using Kroil for lube

Kroil is solely a penetrating oil. Not a lubricant at all.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.