Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Haven't seen a budget rifle comparison thread in a while so I thought it might be interesting to do one.

Especially with the introduction of the RAR that appears to be stacking up rather nicely.

Perhaps we can keep this thread more on the informative side than argumentative.

Shod laugh

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
BP-B6

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Howa.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Howa.

Travis

Hey Flave, I was at the range a few weeks ago and a fella with a Howa was shooting some pretty impressive groups.

On a side note I'm wanting to get out to Montana this year for hunting some. I'll have to PM ya friendo and perhaps we can go shoot a few critters.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Depends on your budget.

I would have said that the Marlin X guns were the best buy in entry level CF rifles, but Marlin has discontinued them. Without having shot one, I'd be interested in the Ruger American Rifle, particularly the Predator style. I'm going to buy a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor when they become available. FWIW, Davidson's has been advertising Marlin X guns for around $250 wholesale, the least expensive that I've ever seen them.

Weatherby Vanguard 2s can regularly be purchased NIB for $500 and the 4 that I have are all good shooters, with the 6.5 Creedmoor being the most accurate out-of-the-box standard production CF rifle, shooting factory ammo, that I've yet to own.

Although widely criticized, the Colt Light Rifles that I've owned have all been good shooters and have come to me from between $400 and $500.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Laugh all you want guys but last week at the range I shot a Mossberg 4x4 that was turning in sub inch groups

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up an XS7 (stainless) for ~$300 out the door in 243. Intended to use as a loaner/truck gun.

The plastic stock is as good as most, but the mag follower and bolt feel squirt-gunnish. The gun I brought home had a machine mark in the crown that I discovered after getting home. I fixed it myself. Mounted a bargain Weaver classic V9 that was on sale for $119 in a set on Model 70 mounts and rings I had laying around.

When all was said and done, it shoots 85 NPs over Varget and 85 TSXs over H4350 well under MOA. Doesn't get much more 'budget' than that.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll bit for the Marlin XS7 or XL7. I don't own one, but I've shot and been around several. Build quality is iffy, but they have all been very accurate.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
700 ADL

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by deflave
Howa.

Travis

Hey Flave, I was at the range a few weeks ago and a fella with a Howa was shooting some pretty impressive groups.

On a side note I'm wanting to get out to Montana this year for hunting some. I'll have to PM ya friendo and perhaps we can go shoot a few critters.

Shod

Stop by any time.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
While accuracy is nice, a guy shouldn't ignore the other attributes of a rifle. The Howa is a Sako clone and a damn fine action.

Yes, many come with Hogues but the non-Hogue synthetic is pretty serviceable.

Triggers on the new ones are pretty GD UBER. Uses the same bases/rings as a 700 which is nice.

The only other rifle that can contend with the Howa is the Vanguard (same gun, different label) and the Remington ADL/SPS-Whatever the Fugg-they call it now. They can still be had brand new for Ruger American prices.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage 'Trophy Hunter'.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Any comment on the new Winchester XPR? Too new?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is the Tikka, but it does not have the budget price to match the budget build.

The Stevens 200 was a time tested build (Sav. 110)and had several aftermarket options. It is no more.

The Marlin x's looked interesting but look to be on their way out.

The Rem. 710/770....No.

So what is left? The RAR, Axis, Remlin X783, and whatever Moss. is calling their rifle this year?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's to bad they canned the stevens 200 they were a solid gun for. Great price

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage replaced the Stevens 200 with the cheaper to produce Savage Axis line.

The nice thing about the Marlin X guns for a tinkerer like me is that I can easily and (usually) inexpensively swap barrels via Savage 110 series take-offs. That, and the fact that all of the Marlin X guns that I've shot offer the shooter a lot of accuracy potential for each dollar spent.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Wally World special 700 ADL/SPS keep your eyes peeled sell for under $4bills regularly.

Honorary Gouger per Travis
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another vote for the Rem 700 SPS. I picked one up at Cabelas a couple of weeks ago for $400 and it had a $50 rebate so now it is down to $350.

The best part is that it is shooting sub 3/4 inch groups with the X Mark Pro trigger, and no bedding work. I checked the action screws, which were tight, mounted a scope and used some reloads developed for a different rifle. Yes, those were 5 shot groups.

I have been able to get the X Mark Pro triggers down to 3 lbs so with a little trigger work and a bit of load development it should be close to a 1/2inch rifle for $350.

Pretty hard to beat for a budget rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a bunch of 700 ADL and SPS youth rifles to use as donors back in 2007/2008 and still have six or seven on the shelf in the event that building something new/different moves me. Now that I'm healthy again, I might build something.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I liked the original "JM" stamped Marlin XS/L 7 best for a value rifle but since Remington bought them out not so much.
Never had one but would like to try a TC Venture.
A friend has a Howa and it's a nice piece.
The "modern" styling of some entry guns make me want to hurl.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My TC Venture has had some very nice groups. It is a youth model but still a bit on the heavy side. It is 1/2 lb heavier than my sons Tikka T3 light and it has a 3" longer barrel to boot. I don't know why it's so heavy.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
453 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.