Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have pretty much settled on the 130 TTSX and the 150 Partition for anything I need to do with a couple of 270 Win's. I also have a 270 Wby that I shoot 130 Barnes almost exclusively. Initially (prior to the TTSX being available), it was the 130 TSX, but now I mostly use the TTSX.

I've only recovered one - a 130 TSX from the Weatherby on a bull I shot 3 years ago. Steep quartering away shot - he was walking straight away and finally turned just enough to tuck one in behind the rib cage. The bullet was just under the hide in front of the off shoulder. Had to be at least 3', maybe 4' feet of penetration. I can't imagine needing anything heavier than a 130...

It appeared to expand just fine also, but it was a close shot in timber (less than 100 yds), and over 3400 fps.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally have never recovered a TXS all have been complete pass through , but to be honest i only use them in a couple of my rifles , i use mostly Nosler or Hornady bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 7x64FN
Actually Barnes says: "A 1:9.5” or faster twist is recommended for the 150-grain TSX."

in a 1 in 10 M 70, the 150s start tipping at 300+.

while the TTSX is a fine bullet Barnes says it is designed to open faster. My "lousy shooting" has put one Mulie and three Antelope in a 270 M70 with the 130 TTSX in the freezer.

IMHO a 270 will kill an Elk but is not as certain as a 180 TSX in a 300 H&H or a 9.3x62.

I enjoy your writing in the Wolfe publications. You might note my picture in the new Successful Hunter.

best to you and yours, Larry
What does "not as certain" mean?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"What does "not as certain" mean?"

It means that a bigger bullet of heavier construction will almost always penetrate better than a lighter one of lesser construction.

For a raking or shoulder shot I doubt anyone would argue that the 180 TSX from a 300 H&H or any heavy well constructed 9.3x62 will go farther and do more damage than any 130 gr 270.

Might I suggest you do some wet phone book tests with a few beef shoulder bones between them ?

Although it's kinda obvious your question was rhetorical, given a dossier of memberships as you hold, I decided to answer it in a courteous and factual manner as the site rules encourage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh jeez, we're already to "raking shots?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
"What does "not as certain" mean?"

It means that a bigger bullet of heavier construction will almost always penetrate better than a lighter one of lesser construction.

For a raking or shoulder shot I doubt anyone would argue that the 180 TSX from a 300 H&H or any heavy well constructed 9.3x62 will go farther and do more damage than any 130 gr 270.

Might I suggest you do some wet phone book tests with a few beef shoulder bones between them ?

Although it's kinda obvious your question was rhetorical, given a dossier of memberships as you hold, I decided to answer it in a courteous and factual manner as the site rules encourage.

Interesting,maybe you should put the magazines down and actually kill some elk.

Also,it sounds like you've read Elmer Keith.... note highlighted sentence.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contrary to the TV hunting shows, Elk don't have a habit of standing broadside at 100 yards waiting for you to shoot them.

Even on this thread a gentleman who actually killed an elk with a 130 TSX took a raking shot.

Of course I've read Keith, anyone who has not is a dunce. He probably killed more Elk than all of us put together. As the bullets of his day were not today's super bullets, he favored two big holes that let out a lot of blood.

As for the magazines, well one can learn a lot by reading those who have been there/done that.

My best Elk was taken at 18 paces in the middle of a second growth jungle. 1809 British Military flintlock rifle with a 1.2 ounce slug I designed. I'm no expert Elk hunter but I am a pretty good hunter (back when the term meant something).
When you punch a 61 caliber slug through both lungs of an Elk, he falls down dead in 20 yards leaving two blood trails a blind man could follow.

"You a'int huntin elk boy, till you kin smell em."

When you kill one with an early 19th century flinter, I'll be impressed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Cow elk,75-100 yds away,210 gr NP .338 RUM.

[Linked Image]

Cow elk, 100 yds,160 gr NP,7mm Dakota.
[Linked Image]

Cow elk 60 +/- yds 150 gr Speer Grand Slam .270 Wby. This one took several before I finally put one in it's head at about 30 feet and the bullet did not exit.
[Linked Image]

Cow elk longest shot so far at about 150-175 yds 210 gr NP .340 Wby.
[Linked Image]

None of these along with two other cow elk I killed,never had to use a" raking shot" there may have been a slight quartering shot,but never a "raking shot."

If I get drawn for cow elk again this year,going to use my .270 Win with a 130 gr Swift A-Frame. Most likely IF I get one it won't be a "raking shot" either.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not any bulls, no flinter in sight..........

Lotsa good freezer meat. We shoot cows in January when they come down to feed in the pasture land.

Last edited by 7x64FN; 02/23/15.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
And your point is what...

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty obvious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's obvious he has more dead elk pics than you, and that you still haven't any experience on elk with the .270 and either the 130 TTSX or 150 TTSX.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Pretty obvious.
Yeah it is,I've killed more than you have and with a wider selection of cartridges.

FYI on the other two cow elk,I used a .340 Wby with a 250 gr Nosler Partition and the other was with a .300 Win Mag and a 200 gr Nosler Partition.

Chew on that for a while.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ruger 450 aka Larry Root March 10, 2014 NitroExpress Forum
My best Elk was taken on a private ranch and ended up costing about $8000. It was more like hunting Whitetails in upstate NY where I grew up than the image of the 500 yard cross canyon shot you see on the stupid TV shows.

It was an in tent, food cooked for you, one guide/hunter horseback hunt (brought my own tack).

Killed this boy at 18 paces with an 1809 British Baker 61 caliber military flintlock. 30+ years of Whitetail hunting with bow and shotgun back East were invaluable in getting up on him. As a now deceased old timer once told me: "you a'int huntin' Elk till you can smell em' ."... I sure could !

[Linked Image]

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/show...50&topic=&Search=true#Post243579

$8k, seriously?! [Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
$800 for a canned hunt, are you're just so proud of it. Bless your heart.

And before he tries to use it against me...I've never killed an elk. Never paid thousands of dollars for a critter, either.

And then attempting to refute JB's FACTS...you've really seemed to have found Jesus (as you claim)...that must be why you're so humble...or has your Priest not gotten to that sermon?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ehnm,

Now I realize that is Larry, the translation of "raking" means butt shot like when he used his Rem 1100 to shoot deer in the butt in New York.

Just ignore him.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
He did,never heard that before. Yeah "raking shot" is one in the keyster to "rake" forward into the chest or commonly called "Texas heart shot."

As far as ignoring him,well,nope,it's fun making his head explode.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Larry,

Many Campfire members appreciate your recent attempt to be more genial, but you remain addicted to twisting almost any thread into YOUR thread. No matter the question, you go off on a tangent, sooner or later disclosing Larry's One True Answer To Everything, even if this Answer has nothing to do with the question.

When other people point this out, you start insulting them. This isn't exactly unknown on the Campfire. Other posters do it too, one far better than you. But if you're serious about becoming a New Larry, stick to answers involving actual experience with the subject. This would do far more good than wishing people the very best at the end of your posts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, the people with "actual experience" killing Elk with a 270 are few and far between on this thread. Insofar as my "one true answer" I seem to recall you being a fan of the 9.3x62 also. I have never killed a Cape Buffalo but by reading a lot of writing by people who have, I think I could equip myself to accomplish a clean kill if ever given the opportunity.

A friend of mine's wife has killed 3 good bulls with a 243 and partitions. She is a hunter who gets close, picks her shot and passes up any that are questionable.

Most men, especially dudes from back east are not as disciplined as this gal and will take all kinds of too far away, moving and bad angle shots.

As far as killing cow Elk goes, I had a type 6 permit this year that allows taking cows and calves in a certain area up through 1/31. Not needing any meat, we went down to a friend's ranch on the 20th and looked at 100s of Elk of all genders. Had I wished to I could have walked 100 yards off the county road and filled an 18 wheeler with Elk.

Finally, a fair chase hunt on a multi 1000 acre private ranch, on horseback, with a guide and a very nice Wall tent camp, food and sitting around the campfire with the 3 other hunters, guides and cook is not free. I was 70 when I killed that Elk with the flinter and really don't desire to do all the skinning, quartering and hauling out by myself. I can afford to pay for this type of hunt since I don't own fancy houses, new cars, big boats, ATVs and so on. As Clint said:" a man has to know his limits".

O'Reilly well described the motivations of haters. We do have a few here (I don't include you) and that is too bad. I won't take their bait and I hope Ric will give me back the ignore feature soon so I can avoid their cluttering up interesting threads with their childish remarks.

Elk and deer are not high on my list anymore. Antelope are far more interesting and each year I draw I try to make it harder. This year it was a 1900 Swede/Danish 6.5x55 sniper rifle, next year, if I draw, it will be my 41 Swiss centerfire that is the same as a 44 Magnum from an 8" handgun. When you are close enough the them to hear their odd vocalizing, then you are hunting. Anyone can kill one from 300 yards with a 270.

Keep up the good work at Wolfe and here.

Best to you and yours, Larry

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ehnm:

Originally Posted by interthem
Guess all the animals in MT stand broadside for the hunters there eh ? They don't in Wyoming or Idaho !
Growing up hunting Whitetails in the thickets of upstate NY (as well as rabbits, birds and fuzzy tails) you learn how to shoot animals on the run/flying coming, crossing or going. You eat tofu, I prefer Elk and with my R1 (as with my 1100 back when), running game is not difficult, especially, when they are close.
(I shoot over 200 rounds of ammo in sporting clays and trap, weekly)

Funny how nobody get upset when someboy is blabbing about shoot game at 600 or more yards but think running game shooting is "bad".

Some people (very few) can do the former, far more can do the latter as a lot more folks shoot clays than graduate from USMC sniper school.

Most men, especially dudes from back east are not as disciplined as this gal and will take all kinds of too far away, moving and bad angle shots.

Hmmm…..

Originally Posted by interthem
Makes perfect sense. Any decent cup and core bullet will kill any Whitetail that walks with good bullet placement. When the Barnes wins (even on a big Whitetal) is when you jump that monster 6x6 out of a dead fall and he is heading straight away.

The "blue box" federal will stop in the paunch, the TSX will probably come out the other end or end up in the neck somewhere.

Shots I would have passed with any other bullet (except a partition) put a Deer, Elk and Moose down with one shot each with the ancient slow 35 Whelen and a 225 TSX out to 200 paces. Messy gutting jobs, but meat is meat.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.