Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You know you need/want one!

Very accurate and fun to shoot. She was good to me but time to move on...

gunbroker

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent pictures! Good luck on your sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I move along all the time, but can't seem to justify selling a rifle.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beautiful rifle... excellent caliber which would take anything in the New World, but a .375 H&H Magnum is more "cartridge" than most guys can reasonably handle, even with that muzzle-brake. I've never used a muzzle-brake on my rifles. Does it really help THAT much?

Seems to me that your price is 'way too low, but an excellent "buy" for anyone willing to take that recoil. Of course, recoil might not be too bad with that muzzle-brake you have on it.

My thought on the recoil is tempered by the heavy recoil of my .338 Win. Magnum (no muzzle-brake) which truly "punishes" me and actually becomes painful after the 17th. shot. That's why it's "retired" and sitting in an honored place in my gun-safe.

That said, your rifle is an excellent "buy" for anyone wanting an fine, almost "custom-made" rifle firing a powerful "can-do" cartridge. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ron_T
...... but a .375 H&H Magnum is more "cartridge" than most guys can reasonably handle, even with that muzzle-brake.

Ron T.

I disagree but I am not normal! LOL

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A positive response to the ad and a qualified opinion on recoil from the cartridges mentioned.
After firing many rifles chambered for 375 & 338 mag over the past 45-50 years , I have coined a specific type of recoil.
I call it "Recoil Velocity" !
Meaning simply ,the rifle comes back faster , which creates more "felt" recoil than a 375 Mag and more than the shooter would expect!
In a comparison, One would expect a 270 gr 375 H&H Fact' load to "kick" harder than a 225 gr 338 Win Mag Fact' load,fired from identical Rifles, let's say Pre-64 M70's w/ MC stocks , or Ruger #1 w/fact' stocks.
NOT so ; The 338 Rifle comes back so much faster ,that it overcomes the bullet weight differential with the additional velocity of the lighter 225 gr .
In retrospect I believe my "Recoil Velocity" is derived, simply from the muzzle "Energy" advantage of the 338 over the 375, combined with the reaction of the Rifle to the velocity of the 225 gr bullet.

Last edited by nitrosonic; 01/21/15.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The recoil of the #1 375 is really not all that punishing, and better than several bolt guns I've fired the same ammo in. (And it's a pussy-cat compared to the likes of light rifles like the #1-S in 45-70 or 9.3x74R.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
A positive response to the ad and a qualified opinion on recoil from the cartridges mentioned.
After firing many rifles chambered for 375 & 338 mag over the past 45-50 years , I have coined a specific type of recoil.
I call it "Recoil Velocity" !
Meaning simply ,the rifle comes back faster , which creates more "felt" recoil than a 375 Mag and more than the shooter would expect!
In a comparison, One would expect a 270 gr 375 H&H Fact' load to "kick" harder than a 225 gr 338 Win Mag Fact' load,fired from identical Rifles, let's say Pre-64 M70's w/ MC stocks , or Ruger #1 w/fact' stocks.
NOT so ; The 338 Rifle comes back so much faster ,that it overcomes the bullet weight differential with the additional velocity of the lighter 225 gr .
In retrospect I believe my "Recoil Velocity" is derived, simply from the muzzle "Energy" advantage of the 338 over the 375, combined with the reaction of the Rifle to the velocity of the 225 gr bullet.

When I first got the rifle it was my first .375 and 'big bore'. It was not without some trepidation that I headed to the range for my first session. I had hand loaded some medium range .270 gr loads to get her sighted in. It was about 32* and sleeting and I was alone at the range and trying to be quick. I had no idea what to expect when I pulled that trigger off the bench.

Forcibly telling myself not to flinch, I slowly squeezed the trigger and...thought I misloaded the round. Between the rifles weight, brake (was already on when I bought it) and the medium load, it was an absolute pussy cat. I eventually went on to load up HOT loads with 300 and even 350 gr bullets. It was never really bad to shoot even from the bench. I had several sessions of 40 rds off the bench with no ill effects (except maybe concussion fatigue).

To contrast that, I have a Rem 700 in 9.3 that kicks my ass. Off the bench I can manage maybe 12 rounds (NOT full power) before I have to quit to avoid a flinch. Probably stock design because my buddies two 9.3's aren't near as bad.

I find a lot of truth in Nitro's post. I had a No.1A in .35 Whelen that was pretty unpleasant. I could tolerate it with a scope and warm loads. One day I decided to put a peep sight on it and was shooting full house 250 gr. I calculated the recoil velocity (can't remember it exactly) but in that light of a rifle it was brutal! Very nasty. Couldn't help but think Lipsey's should've spec'd that one with the 'S' contour. Maybe I would've kept it.

Anyway, I liked the old .375 BERNIE and for now I'll probably keep the dies, etc. in case I ever stumble across a 'must have' CRF of some sort in .375 again. Apart from the weight, the .375 has a lot going for it, especially if you hand load...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.