Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I'm not so sure that these kinds of activities are prescribed as healthy pursuits for late middle-aged guys. I sure hate to think I can't 'go-it-alone' anymore, but the body is the boss I suppose...

las, I was thinking of you whence I wrote those lines; your antics are the inspiration of fools......

.......like me. grin

Originally Posted by las

Don't knock it! I tried it this year, solo, at age 66. 30 yard shot, flat level ground from the snow machine.

It still busted my butt!

The only thing worse than Scandic might be Germanic, a problem closely aligned with folks of your nomenclature if I remember correctly. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ja! Ve ain't du schmart. Dats fur shure.

Oops. I think quarter square -head blood slipped in there...

My immigrant German grand dad used to say in his heavy accent:

"Du zuun vee ged olt, du late vee ged schmart.

I'm half way there. 50% is good isn't it?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't knock us Norse folks...

...we might be stubborn, but we're right wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m 75 German, 25 Czech... so blockheaded, adds to the party portion.... screw it we can do this.

I do happen to have portable spotlights though.

But for some reason they are generally referred to as headlights... LOL.

SLOW is the ticket... by yourself for sure. I took lots of mini breaks. And was careful, no one else if I cut myself or worse.

I"m hoping I can keep it up. Kinda hope at least Carolyn is along the next time we go bang though. LOL.

I am not sure I am cut out for DIY in the snow though, but I"d be willing to experience it once... if I coudl get a tag about then.

Of course I"m dumb enough, I"ll stop and help anybody with anything if they are willing to let me pitch in...I guess I could say though, luckily I"ve never stumbled into someone elses' moose kill. Probably because we don't favor the trails that much except to get to another point to venture back into the bush..

PS LAs on the boat thread... I have this bad habit of ramming my airboat on the coast into the dock. THe dock is really weird for me for some reason... Current mixed with opposite winds and no reverse... I have half a dozen fairly good dents so far... managed one Sat morning again... Ugh....Its usually the under current that messes me up at the last instant... I always try to put up into the wind so I can push against that rather than have it hit me in the prop....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Don't knock us Norse folks...

...we might be stubborn, but we're right wink

I was thinking about that on the second of the four days and 300 miles involved in my little rally for ol' alces. Except, I kept thinking of the old adage "strong of back, weak of mind" and how handy that sometimes can be. It also occurred to me that I've definitely traded in my back but I don't seem to have gotten much in trade if my mind is supposed to be the balancing effect there. But I suppose stubborn does count for something. And, hey, if I some day end up croaking from a heart attack alone on some distant hill in a place I've long loved and made memories with friends over the years, I just hope they find me frozen in a position that lends itself to being easily strapped to a sled without them having to go "Robert Service*" on my sorry frame.
wink

Originally Posted by http://www.internal.org/Robert_W_Service/The_Ballad_of_Blasphemous_Bill
Have you ever sat by a frozen corpse That looks at you with a grin,
And that seems to say: "You may try all day, But you'll never jam me in"?
I'm not a man of the quitting kind, But I never felt so blue
As I sat there gazing at that stiff And studying what I'd do.
He's froze too hard to thaw;
He's obstinate, and he won't lie straight,
So I guess I got to -- saw."
So I sawed off poor Bill's arms and legs,
And I laid him snug and straight

eek

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Skol!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rost.
On the trestle bit, there was a 8-10 mph current turning 90 degrees from a rock wall then into the trestle... I was planning on beaching into the back current immmediay upstream. The current had other ideas. I went bow first into the rocks then sideways into the trestle

The 1" heavy wall pipe handle on the lift had me pinned as the boat swamped and went under. I bent it getting loose.

Below the trestle the Lab retrieved the lunch. And ate it.

Survival situation....

Sad state of affairs when the dog ris the smartest one in or out of tha boat...

Last edited by las; 01/23/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[...]an S&M project. (S&M, of course laugh , meaning "slow and methodical".) [...]

Thats German...

Slow, methodical, and some self punishment. Yep. german.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hate not knowing what to expect from currents/ vs wind..... just when I get a couple of clean docks, I bump the dang dock.

I've just about come to the conclusion I"m coming in sideways from now on, perpendicular to that dock, and then just have someone hop off and walk me into the slip...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.