Originally Posted by wabigoon
Kid, I'd like to see the recipe for the chowder.
And, you can send me any clams you don't want!

I know this calls for walleye but I don't see why a good boneless northern pike wouldn't work. smile

Tony Dean's walleye chowder recipe. It is fantastic! I double the recipe and use more bacon then he suggests.

Best Walleye Chowder Ever

Imagine sitting inside an ice fishing shack on a cold winter day, preparing to dig into a big bowl of walleye chowder. And, if you try this version, created by Chef Mark Mancuso of La Minestra Restaurant in Pierre, SD, you’ll agree that it’s superb.

It’s easy to make too, and from start to finish, it should take just 45 minutes, and much of that time is spent relaxing while your Walleye Chowder simmers to a delightful flavor.

INGREDIENTS

3 tbsp butter
3 strips diced bacon
One half cup diced celery
1 large yellow onion
One quarter cup flour
3 cups cold milk
2 cups quartered red potatoes
2 eight-ounce walleye filets
One half cup whipping cream
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley

PREPARATION

Put the butter into a large stock pot to melt over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and quickly saute until the bacon begins to crisp.

Add the celery and onions, saute both until onions turn slightly opaque. Then add flour to form a roux. Stir until the roux blends with the butter, forming an almost paste-like consistency. Then add milk. Be sure to use cold milk to prevent lumping. You can adjust the thickness at this point. To thin it, simply add chicken stock, milk or water.

Add the potatoes and chunks of fish and stir gently. Use a whisk and be careful not to break up the delicate pieces of walleye. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.

Then, add the whipping cream and stir gently, then put in bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.

Bon Appetit!

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/16/15.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...