Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hey folks,

Just sharing my new baby. While I have few Winchesters in my collection compared to others, the more I engage with them, the more I start to want to get more and more. This one in in particular is something I am still wondering if I am dreaming.

This thing is in new condition and is a special order to be built with no sights.

Enjoy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Beauty, are you going to hunt with it? I would.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Being as this is one of the rarest production model 70's to exist and in the condition that it is in, I wont be risking any part of this investment any time soon.

Maybe when I retire with more money than I can spend.

That is not looking like it will happen in the next decade at this point.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Beautiful rifle! I have one just like it in 270. Very special rifle. Congrats.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sightless supergrade fwt, I'm assuming. Looks like a nice clean rifle. Thanks for sharing. Are you the original owner and do you know for certain that it came from the Winchester custom shop?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They made a total of 321 Super Grade FW 30/06's which I guess would have been catalogued rifles.

IIRC, they stopped making SG rifles as catalogued items by 1961 (but I could be wrong about that;working from memory), so any SG by that date would be a special order rifle. The lack of iron sights adds to the scarcity and further evidence of Special Order I would think. Clearly a very rare variation of pre 64 M70 and worth several thousand dollars.

Normally I'd hunt about any pre 64 M70 but that wouldn't be one of them....which is why I've passed by any SG FW I had a chance to buy. They are a collectors item worth a lot of dough and at least these days I'd rather get a production grade rifle for a lot less money to hunt with.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am not the original owner however the collection this came from included 50 plus very rare model 70's.

Being sightless and original, the only way it would have been produced would be in the custom shop.

I am a Jr. when it comes to model 70's but what information I can find would show that.

This sort of confirmed it for me.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/57/lid/3440

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They made a total of 321 Super Grade FW 30/06's which I guess would have been catalogued rifles.

IIRC, they stopped making SG rifles as catalogued items by 1961 (but I could be wrong about that;working from memory), so any SG by that date would be a special order rifle. The lack of iron sights adds to the scarcity and further evidence of Special Order I would think. Clearly a very rare variation of pre 64 M70 and worth several thousand dollars.

Normally I'd hunt about any pre 64 M70 but that wouldn't be one of them....which is why I've passed by any SG FW I had a chance to buy. They are a collectors item worth a lot of dough and at least these days I'd rather get a production grade rifle for a lot less money to hunt with.

1960 was the last year for the super grade Bob...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa I thought it was right around that time. Thanks.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
That is interesting. Could someone order a SGFW up through 64 in the custom shop?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mr. Green: I think so...unless they suspended operation for some reason. I had a SG produced after 1960,and it was likely a Special Order rifle.....so I guess someone was working there. smile

The thing that's curious about your rifle is that the Rock island auction description says it was made in 1957 (or did I misread that?). Yet you indicate it was made in 1961.

Was it maybe built on an action made in 1957(per serial number) but the rifle itself was produced in 1961?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Maybe I have the DOM off. My SN is 5547xx. That is a 61 eh?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes that seems like the right number for that date of manufacture....I think it's Rock Island and not you.

Does not matter really.Still a scarce and valuable rifle.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Believe that the RIA auction was used as a reference....not the same gun as the extractor (and bolt?) are not jeweled and wood is obviously different....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a great find! And not too beaten up. wink

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The Rock Island was just a reference. I have to agree with some comments. I would love to hunt with it but knowing my luck even on the best of days. Id scratch it. The thing is basically new. I hate pictures with flash. I wish the weather around here would let me take pics in natural light.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need to wait for the weather to change. Simply rig 4 or 5 clip-on work lights with daylight fluorescent screw-in bulbs.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wow! What a beauty! You are on the fast track to the pre 64 mod 70 addiction my friend! LOL, It will have you looking at a bass boat and telling yourself,"you know what I only took it out 5 times, is it worth it", or in my case I will look at and old tractor and say, "you know what I only need one tractor"... Congrats on a super nice pre 64 SG, I love the smooth barrel,at 60Im finding myself selling more and more .22 Winchesters that do not have provision for scopes! very best WinPoor

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I hope I'm not the only one to notice, but the buttplate is refinished and not correct and the barrel color looks a little off to me as well. Not to rain on anyone's parade but when one thing is wrong and we're talking about a rare configuration, it usually leads to more problems.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
What makes you say the buttplate is refinished? Typically a refinished gun would have at least some sign of wear. The checkering and everything is perfect. The buttplate is aluminum and is absolutely correct. The finish is going to look different on a featherweight gun.Thoughts from any 70 masters?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 32 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,716
Posts18,457,094
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.