-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note, some guys will use Acraglass bedding compound to fill in the barrel channel, but it is harder to sand that bondo. You could just ask a body shop guy what they use to repair Corvette body cracks as they might know of something newer/better.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I prefer not to use Bondo for thick applications, but as RDFinn notes, many have had success with it in filling the channels. I have used Devcon and Marine-Tex, with epoxy microballoons purchased at the hobby store. Here is a Bansner that I did

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice looking work on that stock! What size barrel did you modify the stock for?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is an HS Precision PHL factory barrel channel. Aside from the shank, it is very small - roughly a #1 or slightly smaller

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marine Tex is fantastic stuff and a lot of gunsmiths use it as a bedding compound. I have several McMillans that were bedded with Marine Tex and they are as solid as a rock. Only potential problem with it is if you don't work with it quickly, it hardens up and removing the excess can be a real PITA. Marine-Tex when fully cured, can be drilled and tapped. They use that stuff to repair transoms on boats so you can get the idea how fricken strong it is. I don't recall exactly how long the "working time" is with it and, IMO, it's probably better left to those who are experienced with using it. As you know, it's a two part epoxy so it'll say on the can how long you have to work with it before it starts to cure.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They missed perfection by "" much.

The rate of twist on the .22, .24, and .25 calibers is too slow. If they'd twisted those three 1-8" (instead of 1-12" for the .22s, 1-10" for the .24s and .25s), I can't imagine improving on that platform.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see that the 7mm RM has a 1-9" twist and the 7-08 has a 9" ish twist as well, but the 280 Ackley has a 1-10" twist. Not sure why they make those decisions, but I could make due with the 10 twist in the Ackley as I currently only use 140's and 150's in my Ackley. One thing that is very nice is to see a custom action that has a receiver and bolt made out of stainless steel. Almost every other custom (Remington clone) has a SS body but they use a CM bolt. Off the top of my head, only HS Precision uses all SS in their actions (17-4 body and a 410/416 series bolt). I guess because the new 704 actions will be CeraKoted, they don't have to worry about using two similar steels (stainless) and galling.

R
R
Greetings Campfire Colleagues,

Thank you for the comments and feedback on our rifles. I have posted some information here to try to clarify our company and the plans we have for bringing our rifle to market:
Legendary Arms Works Rifles-A new rifle manufacturing company

I will try to answer some of the questions and comments above:

Wildone: Thank you for starting the thread. A few quick answers to your questions. Mark Bansner had an outstandingly successful custom gunsmith business with a worldwide reputation. Just walk the floor of DSC or SCI with him and you will see what I mean. What does one do when you reach the pinnacle of your career success? Go home and sit in the rocking chair? For anyone here who knows Mark you will know what I am refereeing to. One answer is �more of the same but bigger� which is the reason that Mark decided to team up with Trop Gun Shop. The opportunity to build a firearms company to produce a 100% American made rifles with the features sought by shooters and hunters was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Mark is the President of our manufacturing division, still works on rifles as well as directs the day today activities and gets his hand dirty.
We opted to use Timney triggers as part of the balance decision company�s deal with of cost versus benefit. Timney triggers have a great reputation as a hunting trigger. We have not �cut corners� on this rifle but it is a production rifle versus a custom rifle where the sky is the limit. Our barrels are tested for accuracy and they perform. As with any new venture we are always looking for ways to improve performance and quality and it will be an ongoing activity.

Steelhead: Not sure I would use the term �screw up� the twist rate on the 243 as 1 in 10� is the industry accepted standard which is where we started. Clearly there is a movement in that caliber to use heavier bullets and faster twists and we know that a number of other manufacturers are in the 1 to 9� range. I have taken these recommendations back to Mark and the team for review and if I had to guess we may move to the faster twist.

SNAP: Glad you think the High Tech Specialties stocks are well regarded. Mark used that stock after purchasing the company 20 years ago on all his rifles and we have basically kept it the same with a few minor modifications to make production easier and faster. They are still hand laid fiberglass with all the finish, fit and feel of the originals.

RDFinn: Correct, we purchased the full rights to manufacture the 704 action. Please refer to my link above for the full background. The action and the bolt are both 416 Stainless steel and you are correct CNC machining is the secret. Continuous output at close tolerances.

Wildone: per my comment above Mark di not �give up the ship�. He is an integral and primary member of the management team and directs all our production facilities. To take Mark away from the gunsmith bench would be akin to leaving a thoroughbred race horse tied in the stable all day. He IS Legendary Arms Works.

Regarding our stocks: Yes they are still available for individual purchase though I will say that our production feed is now focused on the LAW 704 gun and so the selection may be limited. Once we get the rifle production more established we will be offering a wide variety of stocks for individual sale. The price is $290 and the quality of the stock is superior to any other on the market.

RDfinn: We will be making actions available to the trade. The action is basically the Ed Brown 704 design be we have made a few modifications since the original design. I will be posting a full Actions specification sheet shortly that will give all the details. I�m not sure of the logic of using another stock on the 704 action when you can use our stock. Yes the Big Five has a shadow line cheek piece, the Closer and Professional do not. Our barrels are a proprietary source and we test them for accuracy. As you state, what really matters is that it shoots.

Steelhead: I�m guessing your reference to PT Barnum was done tongue in cheek because the company is genuine. We believe our 704 rifle offers a great deal of hunting and shooting accuracy and features for a challenging price point. Get one in your hand and then let me know how you feel�I�ve seen the reaction far too many times and it starts with a smile. No showmanship here, just 100% American made quality.

Bloodworks: Don�t count it out yet, see my comments above regarding the 243 twist rate and the feedback. We will take it under serious consideration.

Hawkmtn: Glad to hear that you visited Mark�s shop so you have seen the ramp up first hand. Even bigger now. I suggest that before you draw conclusions about why Mark teamed up to build a production facility you talk with Mark on your next visit. As I state above he is not jeopardizing his success but merely enhancing it and taking it to the next level. As most of know making a living at being a custom gunsmith is very challenging and most never really make it. Mark did and did it successfully for 30 years doing all the things that are expected�kids through college, nice home etc. This is the next step and as I said he is actively involved day to day. Your comment about Dave Dunn, is clearly unfounded if you have never met Dave. He is a �gun guy� first class with very high ethics and a desire to make an American made gun. I challenge you to visit the store, meet Dave and hear the story first hand before you draw conjecture based on other opinions. Get one of our rifles in your hands and then let me know what you think. Your eclat was a custom gun and they are at the top of the heap by a master riflesmith and the price reflects it. Our 704 rifle is not the same as a custom but it certainly beats anything on the market at that price. Be open to change and I/ bet once you handle one you will agree.

Wildone: Pure speculation, here are the facts. Mark�s son Garret is actively involved in the company and works beside his father. Per my comments above Mark did NOT retire and did not sell out. He gets his hand dirty every day on the rifles. We are not implying that LAW is the same as a Bansner rifle, never said that. It does however reflect the input, expertise and experience of Mark�much like David Miller having input on a Model 70 bottom metal. It is basically the difference between custom and production but our production is meant to be a higher standard. We will be reinstating the full custom business but probably not before 2016 in all honesty. Apples and oranges.

JasonH: Thanks for the insight. You are correct�get one of our guns in your hands and then judge. We are just trying to run an open and transparent firearms company that is focused on high quality. I do consider the Nosler Patriot one of our main competitors and they produce a fine rifle but the differences are vast once you dig into the details. The controlled round feed of the 704 is only one feature, there are many others.

RDfinn: It looks to me that as you thought further about the rifle, our company and Mark you came to a conclusion that is spot on. Thanks for your openness and honesty. Message heard on the 243 twist rate�did we mention the other caliber selection we offer that is unique�

4agerThanks for the feedback on the twists. Clearly there is a movement toward faster twists to shoot heavier and longer bullets. Your feedback will be taken back to Mark and the gunsmith team.

Thank you all for the honest feedback. Clearly twist rates are important to this shooting community and I will take the feedback to Mark and the team. We are working diligently to get rifles into the hands of customers. Please feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Paul

Last edited by Reed; 01/25/15.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Propriety barrels? Never heard of them. Just curious as to why you are willing to tell who makes the other components but not the barrels

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reed

SNAP: Glad you think the High Tech Specialties stocks are well regarded. Mark used that stock after purchasing the company 20 years ago on all his rifles and we have basically kept it the same with a few minor modifications to make production easier and faster. They are still hand laid fiberglass with all the finish, fit and feel of the originals.

This is the part that has me concerned. I've had several of the original stocks from Mark over the years.

When you say they're still "hand laid glass" does that mean they're still made with sheets of glass cloth like they've always been? Or are you using chopped glass?

I think in general Marks previous stocks finished up at around 26 oz's with paint and bedding w/ 1" Decelerator. What's the current average weight now that you've added aluminum?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Twist a 243 1:8 or 1:9, and I will buy one. I love the 243, but the 1:10 twist is a deal killer for me.
I've owned several bansner stocks, and still choose them as my first choice when looking for a high-quality but not too expensive stock. I'm interested to hear as well about the aluminum block.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

R
R
Brad, Handlaid fiberglass sheets the same as the original Bansner. Same look, feel, fit and finish, and strength just some changes on the molds to make it easier for production. Side by side against your stocks and you will be hard pressed to tell the difference

Last edited by Reed; 01/24/15.
R
R
Steelhead: Proprietary barrels means that we have taken great pains to select barrels that shoot accurately in this case. Because of our business arrangement we are precluded from giving additional information but I can tell you that they are a major barrel manufacturer, air gauged and tested to make sure they shoot. I once heard Mark say something like "I could give a [bleep] if you stamp the barrel with pink polka dots as long as it shoots". All other material except the Timney trigger are ours.

Paul

Last edited by Reed; 01/24/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reed, current average weight of the finished, painted stocks?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Reed, current average weight of the finished, painted stocks?

Up... still waiting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
up

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of respect for Mark and if any of my posts were taken anywhere outside of that context they were misread. Am I disappointed he is not building custom rifles anymore , well yes I am. But Mark has to do whats good for him no harm no foul . Good luck in your new venture Mark.

Reed Thanks for responding and good luck to you as well. Production guns just don't work for me anymore but all the best to you .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildone
I have not had the resources to build something the past year or so . I own two Bansner built customs from his shop in Adamstown a 7-08 and a 300wm. I was looking around today and noticed Trop has acquired them. Whats the deal with Mark ? Did he totally sell, retire , still working? Anyone have more details than whats on the LAW website? Mark always used Jewells and Lilja , however I see LAW is using timney, a "match grade" barrel and that the pricing is substantially lower. Anyone know where they cut the corners? I would have liked to have had one more of Marks builds this year wasn't that year though.

Mark came by my booth at SHOT and we talked for about 20 Min.

He is done doing custom work and this new venture is to offer a production rifle of very high quality at a reasonable price.

I would say he is excited about a new challenge.

While I am sure all of you guys were great customers he did say he will no longer have to "deal with Prima Donnas" and will get to build great rifles as he sees fit. laugh

Originally Posted by RDFinn
I got a Burns response back about the barrel maker...."proprietary" even though we know Burns uses Benchmark barrels.

Are you not the little detective. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
are you implying that I am am Prima Donna John?

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.