Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
mntman: Uh-oh....bad influence. smile

Hmmmm....I think Pat and Scotty have both been nominated for Model 70 salesmen of the year a couple times.... laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Here it is. Finished weight with scope, rings and sling. Capable of sub MOA and a delight to carry and shoot...

[Linked Image]

That's a weird azzed looking Winchester model 70.. whistle

That's because it's a Dennis Olson Sako....I bet. smile

POS, THIS is supposed to be about "Winchester" model 70's... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by POPGUN

Hmmmm....I think Pat and Scotty have both been nominated for Model 70 salesmen of the year a couple times.... laugh
I'd say so!! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BobinNH is the reason I bought a damn 270 Winchester... mad

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

I'd say so!! laugh

I thought that title should go to tdn...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Hypothetically, what could one accomplish with a .300 Win that one could not with a .30-06.

Say a featherweight in a McMillan Edge?

My philosophy about magnums is not light bullets screaming fast. It is about heavy bullets fast enough. But you have to be willing to haul around enough barrel length to take advantage of the case capacity. I love my .300, but a .30-06 FWT would be a damn fine rifle.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/23/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not to take away from many of the other "bad" influences around here, but, I give Allen Day a lot of credit for my perspectives about winnys. I was always a fan of his writings. I didn't always agree with his perspectives 100%, but he clearly based them on first hand experiences. Shame he's not still around or I'd be asking him what he thought I was doing wrong in my build. (besides not building a 300 win mag of course). Always seemed like a pretty smart fella.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd say so!! laugh

Haha, well played sir grin. I love em and leave em, but hoping to settle down with a few this year. ... Hoping...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd say so!! laugh

Haha, well played sir grin. I love em and leave em, but hoping to settle down with a few this year. ... Hoping...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not going to happen... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMO, Winchester DID design the ideal hunting rifle - the Pre-64 70 in .270 with a good quality 6x period scope. Maybe I'm biased, but this is my ideal, the top one. No plastic stocks, no nothing, just the rifle as designed.

[Linked Image]

yooper

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice keeping it old school. I have 2 pre 64's with the wood stocks left on them. 1 is waiting to go to it's new home and the other is waiting to go on a real "big" big game hunt...

[Linked Image]

I pulled the original stock and put it in a dual cross bolt stock and glass bedded the thing. It's not as pretty as the original stock, but it's much stronger and more trust worthy now:

[Linked Image]

My Alaskan is still in it's original stock too, but a much improved (over original) pillar/glass bedding job was done..:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This, is an "easy" one and I already may have the rifle(s) to offer as my solution to the OP's query.

I bought my first P-64, an unfired Alaskan-.338WM 47 years ago, almost to the day, aged 21 and a working "mountainman" for the old BC Forest Service-this included solo stints of three months, NO breaks, on remote fire lookouts in Grizzly country where the "B machine" helos we used had strict weight limits and ONE rifle was IT.

During the intervening years, I have owned 43 P-64s and two custom Classic sts rifles plus about 100 other big game rifles and I STILL consider the P-64s to be among the BEST serious hunting/working rifles ever made.

For ME, you may well differ, I would choose TWO to meet this specification.

1. .338WM Alaskan, good synthetic stock, Leupy 1.75x6 MHD and M-8 4x MHD, in Talley QD screwlocks, Brockman rear peep/base and a "Sourdough" front sight. Load ONE bullet weight, using different types if you are "techy" or just shoot 250NPs over RE-22 to make 2800 at the muzzle and with sub-moa accuracy.

I have four VERY clean specimens of this rifle and seldom use them now as I carry my Dakota .338s, a pair, for most hunts. I like the 23" tubes as I am a short guy and BC is kinda bushy.

2. Fwt.-270Win. all changes as above and scopes are Swaro Z3-3x9, or, Leupy VX3-2.5x8 or Conquest 3x9s. I shoot 150 NPs over RE-22 for hunting and whatever 150s for practice as I do 250 whatevers in the .338s for the same purpose.

I have changed the trigger guards to factory steel ones, retained the alloy floorplates and tuned the triggers on all my rifles.

I have two originals of these and a "made up" one on a 1946 std. action using a Classic sts FWT. tube and a modded Micky MK-X Edge stock, now my alltime favourite .270.

IF, I were younger, I would have Ed Lapour's flanged safetys installed on all of my dozen P-64s and Darcy Echol's 4+1 mags. on the .338s, plus have the Classic gas blocks installed on all 12 of my remaining P-64s.

All of my 10 originals, most are 95% at least are rigged this way, but, I no longer shoot most of them, however, the above .338/270 combo is my concept of the "best" in P-64s for hunting as the OP describes.

All of THAT said, my ideal setup would be a .270 on a "roundbolt" Brno 21H action and a 4+1 .338 on a Brno ZG-47 as these actions are the pinnacle of production sporting rifle actions and even better with minor mods.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
SNAP: Really appreciate your post with the extensive experience you've had with your old 70s. Sounds to me like the perfect 2 gun combination for anything in north america. Interesting you mention the Ed LaPour flanged bolt sleeves. I contacted him recently about one and he said he was out of stock and wouldn't be running any more this year. I hear a small number of gun writers talk about this design error on the old 70s but I've never had any bad experience with the many I shoot and hunt with. What is your experience with this? I've only blown one primer from an old 70 and I never knew it happened until I extracted the case and saw it. Thanks again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be original Mauser 1898 with full inner front ring collar, lever or inside trigger guard magazine plate release, old Model 70 type trigger plus two position tang safety and Kimber style stock. I have seen Holland & Holland Mannlicher .375 Magnum set up this way so it is possible. The biggest issues with old Model 70 are: gas venting system, fugly "boat oar" stock , floor plate release and POS three position safety.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
RG-During the past 47 years that I have been handloading and shooting P-64s, I have had about four case head separations. All of these, except one, happened in P-64 actions, one a custom .280 Rem. using a No. 3 SGW tube, a rifle that shot .5" at 200 yds. with 160 NPs consistently, were .300H&H rifles.

I had a .243Win. let go in a Dumoulin FN "H-ring" action, supposedly superior to Mod. 70s and THAT sent more gas back than ANY of the incidents in P-64s. Soooo, my wish to install Ed's safety is based on my innate caution, a character trait that a lot of the real bushmen I used to work with shared....when alone 100 air miles from any road and in "no fly" weather, in BC's mountains, only an idiot takes chances.....

So, my experience was like yours, I extracted the cases and then found the problem....the H&H chambered P-64s seem very prone to this and I suspect that their chambers were deliberately cut large to cope with 1950s ammo and African weather.

There is a LOT of ignorant and self-serving bullsh*t written in gunrags and posted on forums about various gun issues and many seem to need to attempt to "defend" their preconceived notions about rifles, etc. This, has always been the case with P-64s and such cr*pola is best ignored.

That said, for a "working" bush rifle, there is NO "better" choice as they came from the factory than a P-64; look at all the Alaskan guides and many African ones who chose these.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SNAP
This, is an "easy" one and I already may have the rifle(s) to offer as my solution to the OP's query.

I bought my first P-64, an unfired Alaskan-.338WM 47 years ago, almost to the day, aged 21 and a working "mountainman" for the old BC Forest Service-this included solo stints of three months, NO breaks, on remote fire lookouts in Grizzly country where the "B machine" helos we used had strict weight limits and ONE rifle was IT.

During the intervening years, I have owned 43 P-64s and two custom Classic sts rifles plus about 100 other big game rifles and I STILL consider the P-64s to be among the BEST serious hunting/working rifles ever made.

1. .338WM Alaskan, good synthetic stock, Leupy 1.75x6 MHD and M-8 4x MHD, in Talley QD screwlocks, Brockman rear peep/base and a "Sourdough" front sight. Load ONE bullet weight, using different types if you are "techy" or just shoot 250NPs over RE-22 to make 2800 at the muzzle and with sub-moa accuracy.

I have four VERY clean specimens of this rifle and seldom use them now as I carry my Dakota .338s, a pair, for most hunts. I like the 23" tubes as I am a short guy and BC is kinda bushy.

2. Fwt.-270Win. all changes as above and scopes are Swaro Z3-3x9, or, Leupy VX3-2.5x8 or Conquest 3x9s. I shoot 150 NPs over RE-22 for hunting and whatever 150s for practice as I do 250 whatevers in the .338s for the same purpose.

I have changed the trigger guards to factory steel ones, retained the alloy floorplates and tuned the triggers on all my rifles.

I have two originals of these and a "made up" one on a 1946 std. action using a Classic sts FWT. tube and a modded Micky MK-X Edge stock, now my alltime favourite .270.

IF, I were younger, I would have Ed Lapour's flanged safetys installed on all of my dozen P-64s and Darcy Echol's 4+1 mags. on the .338s, plus have the Classic gas blocks installed on all 12 of my remaining P-64s.

All of my 10 originals, most are 95% at least are rigged this way, but, I no longer shoot most of them, however, the above .338/270 combo is my concept of the "best" in P-64s for hunting as the OP describes.

All of THAT said, my ideal setup would be a .270 on a "roundbolt" Brno 21H action and a 4+1 .338 on a Brno ZG-47 as these actions are the pinnacle of production sporting rifle actions and even better with minor mods.

Kute, why did you change your screen name?? I'm loving what you are bringing to the table brother. Thanks for the very informative post..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread fella's. Really enjoy all of the Pre 64's up on here.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I totally agree Scotty!! Original or slightly/highly customized, it doesn't matter to me. They are all good.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SNAP

I like your way of thinking!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.