Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
OK pre-64 men, lets have a little fun. Its winter here in northern michigan so not good shooting weather. So lets pool our expertise and design the ideal hunting rifle for anything in North America built around a pre-64. We can start with the action of course, consider the pros and cons of the various cartridges and finally select a cartridge, then consider stock options, ideal dimensions, perfect optics, etc. We probably won't agree on much but it will be fun. There's no wrong idea, other than we stick with a pre-64 action to start.

I'll start us off by throwing out a couple ideas and then you guys take it from there. Since we don't have a cartridge yet, lets just say we'll take a early 50's vintage action, but swap the steel bottom metal for a featherweight to save weight and have the bolt knob checkered for a little fast bolt work.

OK, let the ideas start coming. Thanks for playing.

Ruffed Grouse

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

50's FWT 30-06 VX3 2x8 or 3x9

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]

50's FWT 30-06 VX3 2x8 or 3x9

I might go for a slightly different stock (probably a brown or bansner) but hard to fault the other components! That or a 270/280 and take the big bears out of the equation. In a perfect world I'd have the bolt handle tweaked so I could mount the scope as low as possible, but that is just me!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Very hard to improve on the original....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Very hard to improve on the original....

Well it could have been stainless smile

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Vote with KeystoneBen because I have one just like his except in 270.But I have other 270's and 30/06's too.

I have been dropping pre 64 M70's into aftermarket synthetic stocks since about 1979-1980 and hunting with them in calibers from 270 to 375H&h and many in between. Some of these have had custom barrels and some factory. From the standpoint of reliability,these rifles made it hard to justify a custom rifle.

But some how I managed that, too. smile

BSA has a picture of my retro custom 7 Rem Mag in wood stock that would qualify if a guy wants to do it with wood/blue.I've had similar rifles in 270 and 280.

Sometimes I think excruciating over cartridges will drive you nuts. I've never come back from a hunt and complained I didn't get what I was after because I had the wrong cartridge.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here would be my entry.

Pre-War Model 70 .375 ACK Mag. Burgess/Hoenig.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Here would be my entry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's really very unfair..... grin wink

Two geniuses like them,together in the same rifle,makes lots of other stuff pale in comparison. My head hurts thinking about it. cry

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Really unfair..Yes. Absolutely beautiful-yes also.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well, let's consider these questions: so this rifle will be used for north america from whitetails in the brush, elk, sheep in the mountains, to moose and the big bears. So what caliber and weight do we want to end up with? I'm thinking a 8 1/2# .300 Win. Mag. might do well with a barrel contour similar to the standard weight barrel (.600" at the muzzle). Any other votes for the .300 as caliber of choice?

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hypothetically, what could one accomplish with a .300 Win that one could not with a .30-06.

Say a featherweight in a McMillan Edge?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Here would be my entry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What a junker. When are you going to get a nice rifle???

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be a hater. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
OK pre-64 men, lets have a little fun. Its winter here in northern michigan so not good shooting weather. So lets pool our expertise and design the ideal hunting rifle for anything in North America built around a pre-64. We can start with the action of course, consider the pros and cons of the various cartridges and finally select a cartridge, then consider stock options, ideal dimensions, perfect optics, etc. We probably won't agree on much but it will be fun. There's no wrong idea, other than we stick with a pre-64 action to start.

I'll start us off by throwing out a couple ideas and then you guys take it from there. Since we don't have a cartridge yet, lets just say we'll take a early 50's vintage action, but swap the steel bottom metal for a featherweight to save weight and have the bolt knob checkered for a little fast bolt work.

OK, let the ideas start coming. Thanks for playing.

Ruffed Grouse

BTDT. Way ahead of you buddy.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, let's consider these questions: so this rifle will be used for north america from whitetails in the brush, elk, sheep in the mountains, to moose and the big bears. So what caliber and weight do we want to end up with? I'm thinking a 8 1/2# .300 Win. Mag. might do well with a barrel contour similar to the standard weight barrel (.600" at the muzzle). Any other votes for the .300 as caliber of choice?

I'm getting nauseas just thinking about a 300. Unless you were talking about the 300 savage wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Hypothetically, what could one accomplish with a .300 Win that one could not with a .30-06.

Exactamundo. Make mine a hunters compact with standard fill though. Hold the edge. No need: the standard fill hunters compact balances out perfectly with the 22" barreled fwt.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have mine.

1949 .270 in a stock I inletted, finished, and checkered myself. Leupold QR mount for quick Lyman 48 interchangeability, 4x scope ( happens to be an old Burris). There is zero wood exposed. The entire action, magazine well, and barrel channel is epoxied in.

[Linked Image]

And the old girl shoots too:

[Linked Image]

That is a 200 yard 3 shot group fired prone over my backpack on the Wyoming prairie with the wind behind me.

Love that rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a nice rifle. You do great work!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=pre6422hornet]I have mine.

1949 .270 in a stock I inletted, finished, and checkered myself. Leupold QR mount for quick Lyman 48 interchangeability, 4x scope ( happens to be an old Burris). There is zero wood exposed. The entire action, magazine well, and barrel channel is epoxied in.

[Linked Image]

Dude, that is one beautiful looking gun! I'm here working in southern Michigan in the snow looking at this and can't wait to get home tomorrow to send picks of my entry. Sorry guys but I'm of the Elmer Keith school and since no 333OKH, i'll gladly take my Alaskan in 338.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
beautiful rifle razz: did you stock it from the blank or get it semi-inletted? Its so beautiful it might be hard to take on a rough weather hunt. You did a great job. Congrats !! thanks for sharing !!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Razz

[Linked Image]

Dude, that is one beautiful looking gun! I'm here working in southern Michigan in the snow looking at this and can't wait to get home tomorrow to send picks of my entry. Sorry guys but I'm of the Elmer Keith school and since no 333OKH, i'll gladly take my Alaskan in 338.

I love my 338 win mag as well Razz. I also love the good ol 30-06, however my 270 fwt is very comfortable to shoot and pack around. The damn thing is extremely accurate too. More so than it needs to be. I've been leaving it at home because it makes my 30-06 look bad: BobinNH warned me that would probably happen cry sick Kinda pisses me off, but that's life I guess...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
thanks guys!

I have some stocks inbound from the east coast that I will be working on soon for a good friend. Plus an old Mauser stock for a client in Oregon. Then this spring another commission of 2 stocks from up North. Wonder how I am going perform my day job!

Razz, good luck on the flight home! I am flying back to ABQ tomorrow as well. Wife says it is supposed to drop an inch of snow and the city is going bererk!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here it is. Finished weight with scope, rings and sling. Capable of sub MOA and a delight to carry and shoot...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hate to show my 338 again, but here it is. It's damn near perfect for me. I like the fact that it has a capacity of 5 and weighs 8 pounds loaded and ready to go:

[Linked Image]

I played around with the stock paint job again the other day. I wanted to try some black speckles to kind of bring out the midnight blue cerakote better:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another rifle that I feel is damn near perfect for me is my 270 fwt. It's stocked with the Mcmillan hunters compact standard fill. Leupold DD lows and Zeiss 3-9x42. I like everything about it, even the cheap azzed Zeiss...:
[Linked Image]

I've always been a 30-06 guy and feel I have to be honest. I don't really care for the swirly on my 30-06 fwt. Why, because it is kind of slick feeling and it's heavy......:
[Linked Image]
I'll be on the lookout for another hunters compact for my 06 fwt. It's a damn shame to like a 270 over a 30-06, just because you like the stock better... sick

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Here it is. Finished weight with scope, rings and sling. Capable of sub MOA and a delight to carry and shoot...

[Linked Image]

That's a weird azzed looking Winchester model 70.. whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Couldn't have said it better...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sure! I've had several 300 magnums (300 Weatherby, Winchester,and H&H) put together on pre 64 actions,mostly Brown Precision stocks. One of the earlier one's was on a H&H action from a rifle someone had butchered.Butch Searcy installed a SS Krieger chambered 300 Win Mag,and bedded it in a Brown for me. I used it all over the west and in Canada on quite a few hunts,killed a lot of game with it.

It weighed 8.25-8.5 pounds scoped. I would not really want it much lighter.

That particular rifle never killed a brown bear because I used a 375 H&H for that; but you could.It was a pretty deadly rifle with Nosler Partitions and Bitterroots.A bit potent for smaller stuff but it certainly kills them fine.

Doing the same thing today I would not change much; I'd use D'Arcy Echols Legend with a standard fill because that stock is so good at mitigating recoil.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

That's because it's a Dennis Olson Sako....I bet. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
beautiful rifle razz: did you stock it from the blank or get it semi-inletted? Its so beautiful it might be hard to take on a rough weather hunt. You did a great job. Congrats !! thanks for sharing !!

Ruffed Grouse, that's not mine. I was quoting pre6422hornet. picture and gun are all his and yes it is fine!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

Yup, I started with a model 70, just didn't use any of it...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hah! I guessed right! smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hopefully the one I'm having built now will be close to a one gun all around solution. I'm currently having Mark Penrod build a 7 Mag on an H&H action with a fast twist barrel. Will be fully blueprinted and timed. Having it cerakoted and dropped in a legend stock.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Razz

[Linked Image]

That is a beauty!!

I think the ideal is probably an early 50's .270 Fwt. I would keep the wood stock, throw on a Swaro 2-12x50 and rock on.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mntmn: That sounds like it will turn out great!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob,

Lot of Allen Day's influence along with yours went into the thinking. smile

Check out my new website

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well.... Mines pretty darned good already, for my use.

M70 Alaskan, McMillan Pre 64 Monte Carlo, Red Pad, 2.5x10 Swaro, Talley Screwlock mounts, and proper sling! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For some silly reason I think I need other rifles and I blame you all for it..

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

Thanks Pat. That rifle really is, "the one" for me. Balances well, weight is pretty easily carried and it is consistent for me. I'd take it anywhere. 200's for small stuff, 275's for bigger stuff and the 225 BBC's for anything else! grin

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Nice Scotty! Very NICE!

Thanks Pat. That rifle really is, "the one" for me. Balances well, weight is pretty easily carried and it is consistent for me. I'd take it anywhere. 200's for small stuff, 275's for bigger stuff and the 225 BBC's for anything else! grin

Heck yes!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mntman: Uh-oh....bad influence. smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hmmmm....I think Pat and Scotty have both been nominated for Model 70 salesmen of the year a couple times.... laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

POS, THIS is supposed to be about "Winchester" model 70's... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by POPGUN

Hmmmm....I think Pat and Scotty have both been nominated for Model 70 salesmen of the year a couple times.... laugh
I'd say so!! laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BobinNH is the reason I bought a damn 270 Winchester... mad

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

I'd say so!! laugh

I thought that title should go to tdn...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My philosophy about magnums is not light bullets screaming fast. It is about heavy bullets fast enough. But you have to be willing to haul around enough barrel length to take advantage of the case capacity. I love my .300, but a .30-06 FWT would be a damn fine rifle.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/23/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not to take away from many of the other "bad" influences around here, but, I give Allen Day a lot of credit for my perspectives about winnys. I was always a fan of his writings. I didn't always agree with his perspectives 100%, but he clearly based them on first hand experiences. Shame he's not still around or I'd be asking him what he thought I was doing wrong in my build. (besides not building a 300 win mag of course). Always seemed like a pretty smart fella.

Check out my new website

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd say so!! laugh

Haha, well played sir grin. I love em and leave em, but hoping to settle down with a few this year. ... Hoping...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd say so!! laugh

Haha, well played sir grin. I love em and leave em, but hoping to settle down with a few this year. ... Hoping...

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not going to happen... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMO, Winchester DID design the ideal hunting rifle - the Pre-64 70 in .270 with a good quality 6x period scope. Maybe I'm biased, but this is my ideal, the top one. No plastic stocks, no nothing, just the rifle as designed.

[Linked Image]

yooper

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice keeping it old school. I have 2 pre 64's with the wood stocks left on them. 1 is waiting to go to it's new home and the other is waiting to go on a real "big" big game hunt...

[Linked Image]

I pulled the original stock and put it in a dual cross bolt stock and glass bedded the thing. It's not as pretty as the original stock, but it's much stronger and more trust worthy now:

[Linked Image]

My Alaskan is still in it's original stock too, but a much improved (over original) pillar/glass bedding job was done..:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This, is an "easy" one and I already may have the rifle(s) to offer as my solution to the OP's query.

I bought my first P-64, an unfired Alaskan-.338WM 47 years ago, almost to the day, aged 21 and a working "mountainman" for the old BC Forest Service-this included solo stints of three months, NO breaks, on remote fire lookouts in Grizzly country where the "B machine" helos we used had strict weight limits and ONE rifle was IT.

During the intervening years, I have owned 43 P-64s and two custom Classic sts rifles plus about 100 other big game rifles and I STILL consider the P-64s to be among the BEST serious hunting/working rifles ever made.

For ME, you may well differ, I would choose TWO to meet this specification.

1. .338WM Alaskan, good synthetic stock, Leupy 1.75x6 MHD and M-8 4x MHD, in Talley QD screwlocks, Brockman rear peep/base and a "Sourdough" front sight. Load ONE bullet weight, using different types if you are "techy" or just shoot 250NPs over RE-22 to make 2800 at the muzzle and with sub-moa accuracy.

I have four VERY clean specimens of this rifle and seldom use them now as I carry my Dakota .338s, a pair, for most hunts. I like the 23" tubes as I am a short guy and BC is kinda bushy.

2. Fwt.-270Win. all changes as above and scopes are Swaro Z3-3x9, or, Leupy VX3-2.5x8 or Conquest 3x9s. I shoot 150 NPs over RE-22 for hunting and whatever 150s for practice as I do 250 whatevers in the .338s for the same purpose.

I have changed the trigger guards to factory steel ones, retained the alloy floorplates and tuned the triggers on all my rifles.

I have two originals of these and a "made up" one on a 1946 std. action using a Classic sts FWT. tube and a modded Micky MK-X Edge stock, now my alltime favourite .270.

IF, I were younger, I would have Ed Lapour's flanged safetys installed on all of my dozen P-64s and Darcy Echol's 4+1 mags. on the .338s, plus have the Classic gas blocks installed on all 12 of my remaining P-64s.

All of my 10 originals, most are 95% at least are rigged this way, but, I no longer shoot most of them, however, the above .338/270 combo is my concept of the "best" in P-64s for hunting as the OP describes.

All of THAT said, my ideal setup would be a .270 on a "roundbolt" Brno 21H action and a 4+1 .338 on a Brno ZG-47 as these actions are the pinnacle of production sporting rifle actions and even better with minor mods.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
SNAP: Really appreciate your post with the extensive experience you've had with your old 70s. Sounds to me like the perfect 2 gun combination for anything in north america. Interesting you mention the Ed LaPour flanged bolt sleeves. I contacted him recently about one and he said he was out of stock and wouldn't be running any more this year. I hear a small number of gun writers talk about this design error on the old 70s but I've never had any bad experience with the many I shoot and hunt with. What is your experience with this? I've only blown one primer from an old 70 and I never knew it happened until I extracted the case and saw it. Thanks again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be original Mauser 1898 with full inner front ring collar, lever or inside trigger guard magazine plate release, old Model 70 type trigger plus two position tang safety and Kimber style stock. I have seen Holland & Holland Mannlicher .375 Magnum set up this way so it is possible. The biggest issues with old Model 70 are: gas venting system, fugly "boat oar" stock , floor plate release and POS three position safety.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
RG-During the past 47 years that I have been handloading and shooting P-64s, I have had about four case head separations. All of these, except one, happened in P-64 actions, one a custom .280 Rem. using a No. 3 SGW tube, a rifle that shot .5" at 200 yds. with 160 NPs consistently, were .300H&H rifles.

I had a .243Win. let go in a Dumoulin FN "H-ring" action, supposedly superior to Mod. 70s and THAT sent more gas back than ANY of the incidents in P-64s. Soooo, my wish to install Ed's safety is based on my innate caution, a character trait that a lot of the real bushmen I used to work with shared....when alone 100 air miles from any road and in "no fly" weather, in BC's mountains, only an idiot takes chances.....

So, my experience was like yours, I extracted the cases and then found the problem....the H&H chambered P-64s seem very prone to this and I suspect that their chambers were deliberately cut large to cope with 1950s ammo and African weather.

There is a LOT of ignorant and self-serving bullsh*t written in gunrags and posted on forums about various gun issues and many seem to need to attempt to "defend" their preconceived notions about rifles, etc. This, has always been the case with P-64s and such cr*pola is best ignored.

That said, for a "working" bush rifle, there is NO "better" choice as they came from the factory than a P-64; look at all the Alaskan guides and many African ones who chose these.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SNAP
This, is an "easy" one and I already may have the rifle(s) to offer as my solution to the OP's query.

I bought my first P-64, an unfired Alaskan-.338WM 47 years ago, almost to the day, aged 21 and a working "mountainman" for the old BC Forest Service-this included solo stints of three months, NO breaks, on remote fire lookouts in Grizzly country where the "B machine" helos we used had strict weight limits and ONE rifle was IT.

During the intervening years, I have owned 43 P-64s and two custom Classic sts rifles plus about 100 other big game rifles and I STILL consider the P-64s to be among the BEST serious hunting/working rifles ever made.

1. .338WM Alaskan, good synthetic stock, Leupy 1.75x6 MHD and M-8 4x MHD, in Talley QD screwlocks, Brockman rear peep/base and a "Sourdough" front sight. Load ONE bullet weight, using different types if you are "techy" or just shoot 250NPs over RE-22 to make 2800 at the muzzle and with sub-moa accuracy.

I have four VERY clean specimens of this rifle and seldom use them now as I carry my Dakota .338s, a pair, for most hunts. I like the 23" tubes as I am a short guy and BC is kinda bushy.

2. Fwt.-270Win. all changes as above and scopes are Swaro Z3-3x9, or, Leupy VX3-2.5x8 or Conquest 3x9s. I shoot 150 NPs over RE-22 for hunting and whatever 150s for practice as I do 250 whatevers in the .338s for the same purpose.

I have changed the trigger guards to factory steel ones, retained the alloy floorplates and tuned the triggers on all my rifles.

I have two originals of these and a "made up" one on a 1946 std. action using a Classic sts FWT. tube and a modded Micky MK-X Edge stock, now my alltime favourite .270.

IF, I were younger, I would have Ed Lapour's flanged safetys installed on all of my dozen P-64s and Darcy Echol's 4+1 mags. on the .338s, plus have the Classic gas blocks installed on all 12 of my remaining P-64s.

All of my 10 originals, most are 95% at least are rigged this way, but, I no longer shoot most of them, however, the above .338/270 combo is my concept of the "best" in P-64s for hunting as the OP describes.

All of THAT said, my ideal setup would be a .270 on a "roundbolt" Brno 21H action and a 4+1 .338 on a Brno ZG-47 as these actions are the pinnacle of production sporting rifle actions and even better with minor mods.

Kute, why did you change your screen name?? I'm loving what you are bringing to the table brother. Thanks for the very informative post..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread fella's. Really enjoy all of the Pre 64's up on here.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I totally agree Scotty!! Original or slightly/highly customized, it doesn't matter to me. They are all good.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I like your way of thinking!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Oh yeah, I was going to say that as well.. Pretty hard to beat those two.. I am missing the Pre 64 270, but my old Classic 270WSM does work well.

I think it's getting some stock work soon too..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oh yeah, I was going to say that as well.. Pretty hard to beat those two.. I am missing the Pre 64 270, but my old Classic 270WSM does work well.

You're like me and really like the classics too. I only have 2 left (30-06 sporter and 7mm rem mag SS), but they have done everything I've asked without even the slightest hiccup. I've heard of some having problems, but I'm thankful I got real lucky with mine!!!! I'd have a hard time letting either of mine go. I probably use the 30-06 the majority of the time when hunting both deer and elk here.. It's a fun gun and I don't mind switching scopes, mounts, painting the stocks, cerakoting etc. etc... blush Eventually the 30-06 is going to be turned into a 9.3x62mm and I'll sell all of my other rifles... grin whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I am the opposite actually, I only have 1 Pre 64 and the rest are Classic's along with a 90's era XTR. All have been functional and accurate, but my first and only Pre 64 is truly my favorite rifle, hands down.

My 270WSM Classic has been very good. No hiccups and accurate as all get out and easy to work with. I think of it as the 270 Ackley.. 150's at the same speed a 270 Win does 130's. Pretty good combo. The bullets are what makes them cool to me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by beretzs; 01/23/15.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't shoot up all those BBC's in one place. You'll play hell replacing those ones..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, I am the opposite actually, I only have 1 Pre 64 and the rest are Classic's along with a 90's era XTR. All have been functional and accurate, but my first and only Pre 64 is truly my favorite rifle, hands down.

My 270WSM Classic has been very good. No hiccups and accurate as all get out and easy to work with. I think of it as the 270 Ackley.. 150's at the same speed a 270 Win does 130's. Pretty good combo. The bullets are what makes them cool to me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You know you love that 338 too. I can see more pre's in your future.. wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I agree, good stuff here. But I keep thinking there has to be room for a 30-06 in there! lol. laugh

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree Eric. The 270 is very good and the only reason I like mine better than my 30-06:

I've always been a 30-06 guy and feel I have to be honest. I don't really care for the swirly on my 30-06 fwt. Why, because it is kind of slick feeling and it's heavy......:
[Linked Image]
I'll be on the lookout for another hunters compact for my 06 fwt. It's a damn shame to like a 270 over a 30-06, just because you like the stock better... sick

Taken from a previous post earlier in the thread... I've tried to like the swirly, but like the Mcmillan hunters compact better. I was very disappointed in the weight of the swirly. Like I said before, the damn thing weighs more than the original wood stock. For me, the main reason for going to a synthetic is to lose weight and gain strength. If you aren't doing both, it's hardly worth switching...JMHO..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear you. That's the tradeoff when going Swirly vs. an Edge.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear you. That's the tradeoff when going Swirly vs. an Edge.

Eric

My 270 doesn't have an edge on it.. I'm like Oregon45 and actually prefer the balance better with the standard fill hunters compact on the fwt's. My 30-06 EW with the edge was too light in my opinion and just didn't feel right. Especially when shooting it off the bench cry laugh. I'd rather shoot my 338 Alaskan. Thus it went down the road.. wink

This is a great thread. Its got me to thinking about why I like my pre 64's so much and what it takes to make the "ideal" model 70. Well this thread and the recent "balance" thread has got me thinking.

Kutenay put a lot of perspective on the whole thing. I'd like to add what I feel the ideal model 70 build should include:

1. Proper balance...
2. Ideal cartridge to weight ratio..
3. Magazine capacity..
4. Strength of both action and stock..
5. Choice in optics and mounts/rings..
6. Fitting the rifle to you and your needs. AKA proper ergos..
7. Excellent accuracy.
8. Reliability and function.

You should be able to roll all this up into a nice package and call it your "ideal" model 70 build..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Good post!

When up and moving I tend to carry a rifle in my left hand, under the floor plate. I like rifles that sit there "neutral" and muzzle or butt tilt has me searching for the middle...so I like rifles with the weight evenly distributed between my hands.

Rifles like that seem to "point" more like a shotgun and the grouse guns I grew up with(very fast). I know some folks like a bit of muzzle tilt and I concede to that for some...but mostly I like a more neutral feel. I don't find these difficult to shoot at all.

I like a 22" barrel in standard cartridges like a 270, 280,7x57, 7/08,30/06,etc etc;and I like a light contour barrel, either FW or krieger #1. For stocks I've liked and used in no particular order, Brown Precision,Bansner,and McMillan Edge.

I used to stretch this concept into the 7 mag arena but by the time I get to a 7mm magnum I want a bit more stock(at least fuller dimensions) and my "new" favorite is the Echols Legend for anything 7 Rem Mag and up. I would not use an Edge in anything above a 7mm magnum. IMO you need more weight in a 300 magnum both to cut recoil ,offset a heavier barrel contour,and cut stock resonance in a rifle lighting a big fire.

I am slowly changing my mind when it comes to a 30/06 in a FW package...used to be fine with a light Brown but will likely use an Echols Legend on my present pre 64 FW....a light 30/06 can gin up a fair amount of recoil with full loads and the Legend mitigates recoil.

In 338 I'll take standard fill,and weight of 8-8.5 pounds scoped.I like a 23" barrel....ditto a 375 H&H where I like about a #4 contour and 23" is perfect to me but I can live with the 25" barrels of the pre 64's in 375 and 338,and an Echols Legend, standard fill.

I like any stock color so long as it's black, grey or brown...compared to a nice piece of French any synthetic is less than attractive, so I don't go crazy. I do like the colors on my Mashburn, though, which is a black/brown mix.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A posts back, somebody mentioned that there should be room among my rifles for a .30-06 and I DO have a 98% P-64 FWT., pillar-bedded into one of the original Pacific Research synthetic stocks and with a Leupy QR/Lyman receivr sight.Sourdough sight setup that I use on many of my rifles.

I had five VERY choice .30-06 rifles in my safes until a couple of years ago, when I began to seriously thin my collection as I am now eager to do.

I have kept this one, it shoots "lights out", but, I just am not a .30-06 guy, although I have used this round in bushwork and realize it's capabilities.

EACH to his own, but, I much prefer one of the 7mm standard rounds and the 7-08 for MY uses and a .338WM for any hunting where I consider it worth packing a rifle weighing 8,5-9lbs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SNAP no disagreement but I have this very nice pre 64 FW 06 and need to do something with it as I feel the need.... blush grin

I do like and admire the old round.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have really enjoyed all the posts guys. Unlike most of you, or maybe any of you, I've only used the original wood stocks on my pre-64s for all my hunting. Yes, I know thats pretty old school and behind the times. Guess I'm too old fashioned and tight. I've always taken lots of time to properly weatherproof them on the inside, but the big majority of my hunting has been done in cold conditions so I've never really worried about moisture having an adverse effect on the stock. The big portion of my hunting over the past 20 years plus has been with .270s. I have 3 of them: all pre-64s. The first is a transition action with a featherweight contour Douglas barrel 22" long that I used in Michigan's Upper Penninsula brush. The second is also a custom barrel: a Hart with 26 1/2" heavy barrel (.700 at the muzzle) for prairie whitetail hunting.Muzzle heavy by design and about 10 1/2#. And the 3rd has become my most used: a standard factory barrel and stock. I really like this rifle and it has taken most of my coyotes as well.

Then I started hunting in Alaska as we have relatives and now our youngest son is up there guiding. So I bought a pre-64 .300 Win. Mag. with what ended up being a barrel with much throat erosion and ended up re-placing it last summer with a douglas that ended up at 25". This is the rifle I took to Kodiak Island in Sept. for my goat hunt with my son. I had taken a lot of effort to weather-proof the insides of the stock as well as the outside and it performed fine, even though we didn't get lots of rain as Kodiak is famous for. I plan I using this same rifle in Idaho this fall for elk.

I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it guy. But I did break down and bought a set of Talley lightweights for the .300 before the goat hunt simply because I wanted to reduce weight a bit for climbing after those goats. I think the rifle weights about 8# 12 or 13 oz. loaded.

So when I started this thread, it was partially just for fun, but also thinking what about just ONE rifle for the rest of my hunting. If it weren't for Alaska with the brown bears, I'd probably be thinking standard caliber, but frankly, as I include Alaska with larger animals, I think that the .300 Win. Mag. with a Leup. 2 1/2-8 (what's on my .300) just might make a lot of sense for that one north american rifle. I just might even break down and put one of those non-wood stocks on it!!

Thanks again guys for all the input and sharing of experiences.

Ruffed Grouse

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

When up and moving I tend to carry a rifle in my left hand, under the floor plate. I like rifles that sit there "neutral" and muzzle or butt tilt has me searching for the middle...so I like rifles with the weight evenly distributed between my hands.

Rifles like that seem to "point" more like a shotgun and the grouse guns I grew up with(very fast). I know some folks like a bit of muzzle tilt and I concede to that for some...but mostly I like a more neutral feel. I don't find these difficult to shoot at all.

I like a 22" barrel in standard cartridges like a 270, 280,7x57, 7/08,30/06,etc etc;and I like a light contour barrel, either FW or krieger #1. For stocks I've liked and used in no particular order, Brown Precision,Bansner,and McMillan Edge.

I used to stretch this concept into the 7 mag arena but by the time I get to a 7mm magnum I want a bit more stock(at least fuller dimensions) and my "new" favorite is the Echols Legend for anything 7 Rem Mag and up. I would not use an Edge in anything above a 7mm magnum. IMO you need more weight in a 300 magnum both to cut recoil ,offset a heavier barrel contour,and cut stock resonance in a rifle lighting a big fire.

I am slowly changing my mind when it comes to a 30/06 in a FW package...used to be fine with a light Brown but will likely use an Echols Legend on my present pre 64 FW....a light 30/06 can gin up a fair amount of recoil with full loads and the Legend mitigates recoil.

In 338 I'll take standard fill,and weight of 8-8.5 pounds scoped.I like a 23" barrel....ditto a 375 H&H where I like about a #4 contour and 23" is perfect to me but I can live with the 25" barrels of the pre 64's in 375 and 338,and an Echols Legend, standard fill.

I like any stock color so long as it's black, grey or brown...compared to a nice piece of French any synthetic is less than attractive, so I don't go crazy. I do like the colors on my Mashburn, though, which is a black/brown mix.

Great post, lots of very good points there. Turns out we are pretty much in agreement on what works, so you must be right!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
pat lots of those formulas came from building in days when there were not so many factory options....at least I was not happy with what was out there. So I built a lot of rifles.

I recall driving Butch Searcy nuts with one 7 mag..2-3 trips back till the contour was just right...but when he got it, he really got it...and the rifle was a favorite for years before I toasted the barrel. I have duplicated it two other times since and wore those barrels out as well.So lots of stuff today does not grab my attention because I had it years ago.

I am still pretty content with a pre 64 FW dropped in a synthetic. Magnums need more thought in balancing weight and portability with tolerable recoil.

Ruffed grouse there is wood over here as well; your choice of a 300 Win Mag is very good IMHO...tough to beat that cartridge for all round utility. Drop it in a Legend if you go synthetic and I promise you will not be disappointed....JMHO of course. smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had probably the first Legend stock blanks that came into Canada, in my gunroom, belonging to my best buddy, several years ago.

I was considering installing them on my finest pair of P-64 .375/.300H&H rifles, but, found the ergonomics did not suit me. I managed to find a pair of Borden-Rimrock stock blanks and these are now on these rifles.....makes a FINE pair which I have not shot in 4-5 years.

So, I would advise trying different stock styles until YOU find what feels best to YOU. I happen to find the MPI Dakota Classic, the Bansner-Hightech, the Rimrock and, especially the original AHR style from Mickys, for the CZ-550, to suit me best.

I wish Micky would offer this pattern, inletted for Mauser 98s, I would LOVE to build my three remaining Brno 21/ZG actions into rifles using this stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trust me, you want what is called "Professionals Magnum":

"Grandpas Magnum"......

Key questions would be type of muzzle break it has and barrel twist rate. Ideally you want to stabilize heavier bullets otherwise there is no point of having hole larger than .30 caliber. I would leave guns like .338Mag and .375Mags to them young whippersnappers!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had probably the first Legend stock blanks that came into Canada, in my gunroom, belonging to my best buddy, several years ago.

I was considering installing them on my finest pair of P-64 .375/.300H&H rifles, but, found the ergonomics did not suit me. I managed to find a pair of Borden-Rimrock stock blanks and these are now on these rifles.....makes a FINE pair which I have not shot in 4-5 years.

So, I would advise trying different stock styles until YOU find what feels best to YOU. I happen to find the MPI Dakota Classic, the Bansner-Hightech, the Rimrock and, especially the original AHR style from Mickys, for the CZ-550, to suit me best.

I wish Micky would offer this pattern, inletted for Mauser 98s, I would LOVE to build my three remaining Brno 21/ZG actions into rifles using this stock.

I wish I could find an original AHR for my CZ 550 American 9.3..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Great post, lots of very good points there. Turns out we are pretty much in agreement on what works, so you must be right!

Bob's always right. At least everything I've read from him makes sense to me...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

My philosophy about magnums is not light bullets screaming fast. It is about heavy bullets fast enough. But you have to be willing to haul around enough barrel length to take advantage of the case capacity. I love my .300, but a .30-06 FWT would be a damn fine rifle.

Good posts guys. Let us remember Phil Shoemaker really likes the 30-06 stuffed with 200-220 gr. nosler partitions. That speaks volumes on the capabilities of the old war horse.. Give me a nicely stocked fwt over a big heavy kicking 300 win mag any day of the week and twice on sunday...BTDT and ain't going back.. Here's what MR. Shoemaker had to say:

Originally Posted by 458Win
I am loading up box of 30-06 with 220 Partitions and another with 220 Woodleighs and plan on using one or the other during this spring's bear season in my 30-06 as my back-up piece.
In the past, in test media the 220 partitions from my 30-06 penetrate virtually identical to 300 gr partitons from the 375 H&H.

I have killed as many bears with my 30-06 and 200 partitons as I have with the various 375's and while the 375's sometimes (? !) seem to put them down a little faster - the difference is not much, nor as evident, as most people suspect.

I am not suggesting that the 30-06 is an equal to my 458 as a backup rifle - because it certainly is not - but when used by someone who can shoot it the 30-06 with today's best bullets is a perfectly suitable rifle for use on big bears.

I'd also pick a good well balanced 9.3x62mm over the 300 win mag. "Different strokes for different folks"....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not old, but if you will allow a NH action and Bartlein barrel im .308W. 7lb 6.5oz and balances pretty nice. Shoots better than good also.

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent. You notice you, Bob and myself use the same front rest. Think that has an effect on our group shooting abilities? laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lately I've been using an old rolled up sleeping bag for a front rest. Jury is still out, but it may put this one into retirement.

Last edited by battue; 01/24/15.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I agree, good stuff here. But I keep thinking there has to be room for a 30-06 in there! lol. laugh

Eric

Well, hell yes Eric. Mine is not my pre 64 model 70 fwt though. Need to change the swirly first and then it will make the cut. Sorry for bashing the stock, just not my favorite. For now this one fits in nicely with it's much older brethren:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent. You notice you, Bob and myself use the same front rest. Think that has an effect on our group shooting abilities? laugh
I use that same rest as well! Lol laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha, now I know how you shot that .17" group with my old rifle... laugh cry Nothing like shooting $3,000.00 rifles on a $10.00 rest... smirk

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ha ha, now I know how you shot that .17" group with my old rifle... laugh cry Nothing like shooting $3,000.00 rifles on a $10.00 rest... smirk

Believe it or not that group was shot off a sandbag! crazy

[Linked Image]

Great lineup! I really like the way the last stock came out! The black you added in really looks nice!

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. You are just saying that because you want my more original 338 Alaskan... Don't worry, it's yours. laugh I believe you shot the old 30-06 off a sand bag and got a .17" group. That rifle is a people pleaser for sure... I remember it just sank into the bags and it was steady like a rock. I found it hard to not shoot good groups with that thing...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It was cold that day and your rifle never skipped a beat.

I'd like to add EricM's 1951 std. to the list: "ideal old 70 hunting rifle". I built this one to be a shooter and it definitely does that. It's also well balanced. I pillar/glass bedded the action in tight and freefloated the original barrel. It took work freefloating the barrel since it has the dog knot (sight boss). I also omitted the forend screw and made a dummy screw to go in the hole so the rifle still appears somewhat original (besides the stock being from a newer(1962) rifle). I was always very happy with this model 70 and consider it a damn good build and a damn good hunting rifle. It's also a sleeper, so if you see Eric with it and he wants to shoot for money, don't do it!!!.. laugh
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007-6.jpg[/img]

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Not to take away from many of the other "bad" influences around here, but, I give Allen Day a lot of credit for my perspectives about winnys. I was always a fan of his writings. I didn't always agree with his perspectives 100%, but he clearly based them on first hand experiences. Shame he's not still around or I'd be asking him what he thought I was doing wrong in my build. (besides not building a 300 win mag of course). Always seemed like a pretty smart fella.

Allen and I became friends around 1999. We often talked on the phone. As much as he liked the 300 WM, he absolutely loved the 270. I do miss him... shame he died so young.

Funny how I've really come around to the 270. Just does about everything well, and I'd not hesitate tackling a grizzly with one.

Anyway, my one and only complaint about the pre-64 is the bolt handle... it really needs to be scalloped to accommodate a lower mounted scope. Aside from that, hard to argue with them in 06-based stuff, where I think they are at their best. Nothing out of the box IME handles 06' cartridges as well as a pre-64. I like the Fwt's best off all.

I'd never checker the bolt handle... a smooth bolt is the absolute ideal for a hunting rifleman. It could be a smidge bigger, but that's ok. It's good enough.

Once upon a time I was a 338 WM guy. It's terrific on big elk, but I got sick of its recoil, and I grew to learn any good cartridge with a properly placed bullet does just fine on any elk that ever walked. I generally prefer a 375 H&H over the 338, and still think a 270 and 375 are about as good a "world pair" as exists.

Here's an unfired 1961 30-06 I picked up in 2008 or 09 and dropped in a Hunters Edge. Only thing I'd change now is make it a 270 with a 1" pad:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post Brad. I love that 30-06 fwt too. Nice rifle..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agreed.....on about everything,right down to the smooth bolt handle. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't mind the bolt handles. They have never given me any grief. However, I shoot differently than you righties. I grew up shooting the m1917 and also heard that one will tear into your knuckle pretty good. I was at the LGS a couple months ago and the guy behind the counter told me that and I said, "hmmmm, I grew up using one and never had that problem"... He handed the rifle to me and I shouldered it on the left side and he said, "smart azz"... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA,

Not looking for a fight, but I find it curious that you seem to complain about "heavy, hard kicking .300s", but you are pretty partial to the .338 WM. I realize the .338 is "more gun"than the .300, but it is not that much more, and it does rock you, I think a bit more.

I also suspect a .30-06 Fwt. with 200 to 220 grain bullets will get your attention, but it would be easier to pack around.

Comparing a .300 to a 9.3x62 is, to me, comparing two different things altogether. For me to pick one over the other, I would really have to look at the task at hand.

Full disclosure. My hunting rifles are a light .270, a standard weight .300, and I am building a Mauser in 9.3x62, because I always wanted a Mauser action rifle and 9.3x62 is a classic Mauser chambering.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/25/15.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Every 300 I've had kicks like a fu cking mule. THIS is full disclosure. You may want to think a little more on this. Maybe shoot them side by side. That may be an eye opener for you. I've used and shot the 300 quite a lot and prefer the 338 for obvious reasons.. One of the last times I shot my 338 Alaskan (that I'm selling to EricM), I sent 40 rounds downrange with it, 40 rounds of 7mm rem mag and 35 rounds from my 30-06 fwt. I know what I can handle as far as recoil is concerned. I have fond memories of shooting one of my friends 300 win mag's 2 times and handing it back to him and told him it kicked too much. I didn't want to shoot it another time to get a 3 shot group. My other 300 win mags were given away because they kicked like mules. However, at one time I only owned 1 rifle and it was a 300 win mag. It was not pleasant to shoot. I later sold that one and gave my dad the other one I had. Kind of sworn them off because they suck. My dad still has the one I gave him and he doesn't shoot it. He says it kicks too hard. I'll tell you what, I'd love to make a bet with you that I can do anything you can do and do it better with my 9.3x62mm vs your 300 win mag. Want to shoot groups or make a kill shot? Care to make a wager? I never do this, but it should be fun. Are you up for it?? How about something easy like post a 10 shot group with your 300 win mag and I'll post mine.... wink. I'll even use blemished bullets.. smirk

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA,

Honestly, when I said I wasn't looking for a fight, I meant it. I was simply making an observation for the sake of discussion, not a criticism.

As far as side by side, I did do that once, and more or less for the specific purpose of comparing recoil. Both rifles were Model 70s, both were in the same model of Brown Precision stock. My friend's .338 was a push feed rifle with a Shilen barrel. I don't know the contour, but it was not particularly light. If anything, it was a bit on the heavy side. When he re-barreled, he didn't go light as he didn't want anymore recoil than the rifle with the factory weight barrel. My .300 is a Classic Stainless BOSS gun, but I use the CR Conventional Recoil weight as I don't like the noise of the muzzle brake. I don't remember his scope, but it was not a heavy 50mm objective. I think it was a Leupold 3-9x40. Mine was a Leupold 3.5-10x40. I was shooting either 180 grain factory loads or 180 grain handloads at a measured 3000 fps. I don't remember what he had loaded up, but he had kind of sworn off the 250s, so I'm guessing 225. We had often remarked over the years how similar our two rifles were. Our specific purpose that day was he was curious about muzzle brakes. So we shot my .300 with the brake and with the CR weight, and we shot his .338. He shot all three configurations. I don't remember if I shot the muzzle brake or not, as I never use it, and never plan to use it. My hearing is screwed up enough already. He and I are both engineers with a good bit of shooting experience. Most of my professional career was in ballistics research, running a two-stage light gas gun. He worked for Tracking Point for a while. I offer this only to suggest we are not inexperienced and we try to be analytical and fair in our observations. Our consensus that day was the muzzle brake works well but is damn loud, too loud for either of us to like it if you weren't wearing ear protection. As far as recoil with the CR weight on the .300 compared to the .338, we thought the .338 had enough more recoil that you would say "Yeah, that's more." It wasn't a lot more, but it was more. Those two rifles weren't twins, but they were darn close. As you have pointed out, a lot of how a rile kicks you is in the stock design. These were stocked exactly alike. If they hadn't have been similar, we wouldn't have bothered doing what we did. Of course, one could mess with the loads to get a different result, but we were comparing our usual hunting loads.

I respect your opinions and posts on this forum, so if you say the .300 WM kicks you substantially harder than the .338 WM, I'm not going to argue. After all, you are the one behind the gun getting kicked. But I will say that your observations do not seem to match my observations. I can also trot out a bunch of math. The "doc" part of my screen name is legit. But nobody much cares about the math.

I'm more about liking one rifle compared to another, so I don't tend to get into "good cartridge, bad cartridge" arguments. I like the .270 because it works and I grew up reading JOC. A light one is easy to carry and doesn't kick the snot out of me. I like the .300 because to me it is a definite step up from the .270. But you have to be willing to go with a longer barrel to take advantage of the case volume. Otherwise, just use a .30-06. And a light .300 or a light .338 might get old quick. I wouldn't be building a 9.3x62 if I didn't think it was worthy. But if someone else loves the .280, .300 Norma, .338 WM, .35 Whelen or anything else, it's all good. We kill stuff by putting good bullets in the right place.

As for my comment that the .300 WM and the 9.3x62 are in different classes, I can offer that there are many more .300 WM long range target or sniper rifles than 9.3x62. On the flip side, while some say the 9.3x62 can in some situations be a pretty good substitute for .375 H&H, few would offer that complement/comparison to the .300 WM.

As for your offer to get into a contest, I'm not sure what it would prove. It sure wouldn't prove one cartridge is better than another. You do put together some very nice rifles and it is clear you can shoot. I ask you this. If you can do anything and do it better with your 9.3x62 compared to the .300 WM, what can you do with your .338 WM better than with your 9.3x62?

Again, not looking for a fight, just a gentlemanly discussion. I wasn't trying to call you out. On the rare occasion that I think someone is full of crap and I choose to call them on it, I'm pretty clear about it. Peace.

Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 01/25/15.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That, is one of the best posts I have read here in a long time and my experience with the several .300 mags. and the dozen .338WM and six 9.3x62 rifles I have owned tends to mske me agree with the "kick" aspect of it.

I find my 9.3 and .338WM rifles to be very similar in felt recoil and my .375 H&H, owned seven since 1982, definitely boot me harder.

But, none of these are difficult to shoot small groups with or to use in the field, for overall BC conditions, I have found the .338WM-225 and 250-to be the best choice.

I am also a HUGE .270 and .280 fan and these do the business far beyond what one might expect, using good bullets.

I have never had the desire to shoot Grizzlies, but, have seen some killed and one was with a P-64 .270 many years ago. I also would not worry with one in hand loaded with 150 NPs and have used mine quite a lot in BC Grizzly country.

So, Brad, have you sold yet more rifles and left your usual .30-06 and .308Win. rigs for the siren song of JOC's favourite?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks buddy. You are just saying that because you want my more original 338 Alaskan... Don't worry, it's yours. laugh I believe you shot the old 30-06 off a sand bag and got a .17" group. That rifle is a people pleaser for sure... I remember it just sank into the bags and it was steady like a rock. I found it hard to not shoot good groups with that thing...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It was cold that day and your rifle never skipped a beat.

I'd like to add EricM's 1951 std. to the list: "ideal old 70 hunting rifle". I built this one to be a shooter and it definitely does that. It's also well balanced. I pillar/glass bedded the action in tight and freefloated the original barrel. It took work freefloating the barrel since it has the dog knot (sight boss). I also omitted the forend screw and made a dummy screw to go in the hole so the rifle still appears somewhat original (besides the stock being from a newer(1962) rifle). I was always very happy with this model 70 and consider it a damn good build and a damn good hunting rifle. It's also a sleeper, so if you see Eric with it and he wants to shoot for money, don't do it!!!.. laugh
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/007-6.jpg[/img]

Badass man! cool

This thread is now reaching epic status. Tons of good info here!! I'm anxious to compare the pre-64 338 Alaskan's recoil to my BRNO 602 375 H&H.

Eric

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Every 300 I've had kicks like a fu cking mule. THIS is full disclosure. You may want to think a little more on this. Maybe shoot them side by side. That may be an eye opener for you. I've used and shot the 300 quite a lot and prefer the 338 for obvious reasons.. One of the last times I shot my 338 Alaskan (that I'm selling to EricM), I sent 40 rounds downrange with it, 40 rounds of 7mm rem mag and 35 rounds from my 30-06 fwt. I know what I can handle as far as recoil is concerned. I have fond memories of shooting one of my friends 300 win mag's 2 times and handing it back to him and told him it kicked too much. I didn't want to shoot it another time to get a 3 shot group. My other 300 win mags were given away because they kicked like mules. However, at one time I only owned 1 rifle and it was a 300 win mag. It was not pleasant to shoot. I later sold that one and gave my dad the other one I had. Kind of sworn them off because they suck. My dad still has the one I gave him and he doesn't shoot it. He says it kicks too hard. I'll tell you what, I'd love to make a bet with you that I can do anything you can do and do it better with my 9.3x62mm vs your 300 win mag. Want to shoot groups or make a kill shot? Care to make a wager? I never do this, but it should be fun. Are you up for it?? How about something easy like post a 10 shot group with your 300 win mag and I'll post mine.... wink. I'll even use blemished bullets.. smirk

you can't make this stuff up...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff guys: when I re-barreled my original .300 barrel I could have went with a .338 and did give it a tiny bit of thought. But for me, I was thinking of the mountain hunting application as well as being in a land with big critters so the .300 made more sense to me. The recoil issue for me hasn't been much of an issue with this particular rifle for 2 reasons I can think of. The first is, as I mentioned previously, the rifle comes in at 8# 12-13 ounces. Then, I wanted to use 180s but just could not get them to shoot in this barrel. After a lot of frustration, I tried some 150 Barnes TSX which did shoot very well. And I really noticed a decrease in felt recoil over the 180s. I know the 150s are not the preferred weight for the .300 but I went for accuracy over bullet weight. With the Barnes copper I did not really feel bad about penetration even at the .300 velocities. I did not chronograph the load but I believe it was right up there with the 25" barrel. The load was 75gr./imr 4350. Would my .270 have worked well on that goat. Sure, but remember this was an unguided hunt on Kodiak Island (my son is an Alaskan resident so I could hunt goats without a guide as long as he was with me) and we did see the big bears.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by toad

you can't make this stuff up...

Most of the time you have to pay for comedy like this.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
ruffedgrouse,

For what it is worth, my .300WM, Classic Stainless BOSS, Brown Precision Stock, Leupold 3.5-10x40, with sling, unloaded, weighs 8 lb. 12 oz.

I don't know if I would want it lighter, as I don't believe I have ever shot a lighter .300 WM to compare. Even if I did want it lighter, I don't know how much lighter I could get it anyway. If I didn't want to change the barrel or whittle on the action (neither of which I would consider), my available options are an even lighter stock, lighter scope, and lighter bottom metal. I'm pretty happy with it the way it is. It is a tad muzzle heavy, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Gun Doc

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This one will work. It's in 7x57, which is fine, but I'd want a .30-06. 22" barrel nicely floated, controlled feed, one-piece bottom metal of steel, classic stock of good wood. Maybe an extra McMillan stock for the hard hunts. New MOA trigger is OK and easy to adjust, but the old 70 trigger is great, too. Steel and walnut, made in America (2008). Scope is a Meopta 3-9X, in steel Talleys. I could live with this one (and I'm a lefty).
Bob

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RGK
This one will work. It's in 7x57, which is fine, but I'd want a .30-06. 22" barrel nicely floated, controlled feed, one-piece bottom metal of steel, classic stock of good wood. Maybe an extra McMillan stock for the hard hunts. New MOA trigger is OK and easy to adjust, but the old 70 trigger is great, too. Steel and walnut, made in America (2008). Scope is a Meopta 3-9X, in steel Talleys. I could live with this one (and I'm a lefty).
Bob

[Linked Image]

Is that one yours Bob? Nice rig.

Check out my new website

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. Gundoc7: Thank you for your post and input about your .300 wm. It sounds like our .300s are just about identical from a weight standpoint and frankly I didn't think it problematic to carry that much weight on my goat hunt. I'm rather used to rather physical work so an ultra lite weight rifle is not what I think best for me. I'm certainly vulnerable to excitement at the point of the shot, especially in a far away place, and then when climbing mountains in Alaska it gets your heart pumping. I did however try to somewhat minimize weight on my rifle. As I mentioned, I did go with Talley aluminum mts-rings and then used an ultralight homemade (by my wife) sling of nylon webbing that worked fine. I thought about switching to aluminum bottom metal but decided against it. I always prefer steel to aluminum but kind of violated that by going with the Talleys. I'm not going to change a thing on my elk hunt this fall; same rifle-same set-up. Recently I was looking over the D'Arcy Echols blog where he described building two identical .300s for a married couple that went to Asia on one of those sheep/ibex hunts. He said those 2 rifles weighed almost exactly 10 lbs. which he felt was just about perfect for that type of hunt. After reading that I thought to myself that I must be a wimp carrying only a 9 lb. rifle !!

Thanks again gundoc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great rifles and talk here. Never felt much difference between the 338 Win and the 300 magnums. On a blind test with two of the same rifles it'd be even tougher.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just measured my 59 Alaskan in the "new" stock I am inletting and finishing. Still have to shape the forearm and grind the but pad to fit and it weights 8 pounds even.

After Talley's, the 3x9x40 Burris C4 and three in the mag and one in the pipe I don't see it being an issue carrying up and down the mountains.

Then again I have never been one to worry about how heavy a rifle was so I was surprised it was even at 8 pounds.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Is that one yours Bob? Nice rig.

Yes, it's mine; thank you for the compliment. I got it at the Buda Cabela's. We gotta hook up and look at your knives!
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mr. Gundoc7: Thank you for your post and input about your .300 wm. It sounds like our .300s are just about identical from a weight standpoint and frankly I didn't think it problematic to carry that much weight on my goat hunt. I'm rather used to rather physical work so an ultra lite weight rifle is not what I think best for me. I'm certainly vulnerable to excitement at the point of the shot, especially in a far away place, and then when climbing mountains in Alaska it gets your heart pumping. I did however try to somewhat minimize weight on my rifle.

Recently I was looking over the D'Arcy Echols blog where he described building two identical .300s for a married couple that went to Asia on one of those sheep/ibex hunts. He said those 2 rifles weighed almost exactly 10 lbs. which he felt was just about perfect for that type of hunt. After reading that I thought to myself that I must be a wimp carrying only a 9 lb. rifle !!

Thanks again gundoc.

Well....Yeah! smile For decades the prototypical "mountain rifle" for the dedicated international BG hunter(the kind who can afford Darcy's rifles) was a 9# 300 magnum,especially for the big-basin, treeless and wind swept basins of central Asia and the same rifle got used on the plains of Africa and even here in North America. I bet more World Slams of sheep have been taken by such rifles than anything else.

The writings of guys like John Batten, Jay Mellon,Elgin Gates,Herb Klein,the Kleinbergers and others are rife with references to those rifles.

But in Central Asia,those hunters are accompanied by a string of yaks,and enough sherpa guides and gun bearers that a heavy rifle can be handed off if they become a burden at 15,000+ feet. No doubt the extra weight becomes a blessing for very long shots at sharp eyed sheep who "make" you at great distance in rolling terrain.

In contrast the poor NA slob,who has to schlepp his rifle by himself, pack it all day alone,can certainly use something like a 9# 300, but might want to consider something a pound or two lighter. wink For a good many years guys like JOC said the ideal "mountain rifle" for North America might be a rifle of about 8# for a balance of shoot ability and portability.

Lightweight synthetics,better barrels,bullets, and more accurate light weight packages have lowered the bar these days, so that we can build something in the 7.5-8 pound range that still throws strikes at great distances. Even lighter rifles are available as well.

It all depends on what we are ready, willing,and able to carry. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/28/15.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still can see many of those pics in my mind of JOC's mountain hunt stories. The country, Him, his rifle, the horses....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It all depends on what we are ready, willing,and able to carry. wink

Yes good post as always. However, I submit there is something else to consider. These remote unsupported hunts rely on what you have with you for your creature comforts or even survival. The obvious fact is that what you are carrying is not only your rifle/scope combo but a backpack filled with "necessities". I believe it is more important to consider the weight of the "total package" rather than just dwell on the weight of the rifle. Yes I realize this is the rifle lunacy we crave but you are your own "sherpa"! There is no reason not to have a solid 7# "all-up" performing rifle.

I know from past practices that what I carry out on Day 1 of the hunt is not what I leave the tent with on Day 2. In other words, I cull out the extraneous items as a luxury not a necessity. Obviously that equates to less bulk and weight. There is also a need to consider a lighter empty backpack - as long as it fits and performs to your needs.

Also lets consider your physical fitness and overall weight. You are at your peak performance potential on Day 1. After that, the accumulated physical effects add up. Not to mention different foods and sleeping arrangements.

In other words, everything that goes on your back should be considered, not just the rifle. You will hunt as far as what your feet will "tell you". So... just how "good" are those boots?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/28/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bigwhoop: I agree. And the older I get the more sense it all makes. smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would like to SEE a non-resident hunter, say from "The Esstern Seaboard" states ACTUALLY carry a 9-10lb. rifle up and down a few BC mountains, every day for 10-14 days and not have his guide really carry it.

I have carried rifles of this weight in BC, hunting and wilderness working for over 50 years, often every day for months, working fire L/Os in some of the most remote parts of BC and AB.

It was not hard until my late 40s, twenty years ago and with the pack that "bigwhoop" so correctly mentions sbove, BUT, I NOW carry my 8.5 lb. Dakots 76-.338s, ZG-47-9.3x62, at about the same weight st the most and even these can be a real burden.

Frankly, from my experience in a few GO camps here, the visting US hunter is FAR better off with a 7.5lb. 270 or 30-06 and being a GOOD shot using premium bullets. I also favour 4x scopes, or, smaller variables, Talley QDs and a spare, matching scope in camp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Other than thin air, however that is a definite downside for an Eastern seaboard hunter, you don't have to be in BC to appreciate an easy carrying rifle. Places here, such as WV and parts of Pa will test the legs and what you have in your hand equally.

One day up, down and around is one thing. Everyday for a couple weeks another.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Buttue: The further east I get, the lighter I like them. smile

SNAP: Touche! wink

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bob, my post was not intended as any form of "put down", I just have found that most guys find heavy rifles a real burden in BC's typical Devil's Club, Buckbrush and VERY steep country....I am used to it and I sure do!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SNAP: I was applauding your wisdom and choices. smile wink

Forgive me if my response did not convey that. blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with most everything, but not being 20 to 40 pounds overweight, and in good aerobic condition means more on a hunt, than an extra pound of rifle.

Most hunters, including too often myself, are not at the weight and physical condition needed to hunt mountains, or really do anything but ride a four wheeler.

Last edited by Henry McCann; 01/29/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
I agree with most everything, but not being 20 to 40 pounds overweight, and in good aerobic condition means more on a hunt, than an extra pound of rifle.

Most hunters, including too often myself, are not at the weight and physical condition needed to hunt mountains, or really do anything but ride a four wheeler.

Yes and as the hunt progresses, the out of shape hunter loses less drive to climb the next ridge or walk up the valley one more time. He is defeated not by his 8+# rifle but his overweight/out of condition abilities. It matters little if he had a "bean field rifle" or a Kifaru Rambling rifle.
Again, its all fun to talk about losing the last 2 oz. from a "lightweight" rifle but
the real limitation just may be the person staring back at you in the mirror.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.