Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9534926 01/21/15
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thinking about going on a flyin to Canada this yr. I would like to know if anyone still uses flatfish to troll with? I know the problems with them but I have a feeling the fish don't see that many of them anymore.

GB2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
They still sell a bunch of them up here in AK for guys back trolling for salmon. I don't know anyone that uses them but they're on every fishing store shelf up here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If I am not flyfishing I'll use them for trout, either trolled when lake fishing or cast into fast water and swung through the edges on decent sized streams. About F4 size, frog and perch are two of my favourites but a gold F5 trolled over shallows just at dark has hooked some nice fish for me! I tend to change out the small trebles for a single hook and usually pinch the barb down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still one of my all time favorites and hard to beat for bass in our sandpit lakes.Only have one left with the small trebles as they're overkill IMO and a PITA.The rest have all been changed out to single hooks.

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the single hook lure seem to have the same action as the original? They're an effective lure but I've about quit using them because the original hook setup is a hassle to unhook the fish.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine are mostly all U-20's which are larger in size but I haven't noticed any difference in action however on the smaller sizes it may.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When are you going and what species are you fishing?

I use them a lot at certain times for certain fish.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by VernAK

In June. I used to fish them a lot for Salmon and Steelhead and if you got to close to the weeds you got some BIG northerns. I still got some and wondered if I should bring them. I have a lot of swim baits but I thought this might be a change for the fish to see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Flatfish will work for pike and I use em for lake trout but you'll be too early for the bigger lake trout.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK

Mainly bass early which is about end of March or first of April here before the weeds get to thick.Usually stop using crank baits and switch to plastic as the water temp warms up then back to cranks in the fall.

Woody
IC B3

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The U20 in the UV colors are my go to for lake trout. Especially when they are in a neutral mood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bring them with you. For pike, get them as big as you can. The U-20 is easy to find; the M2 is bigger but harder to find. There is a yellow with red and black polka dots that is awesome for pike and walleye (pickerel, eh!) Orange is good for lakers.

Good luck!

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks guys

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the frog color for casting in the early spring over pike and walleye. A slow retrieve works well. If you are trolling them you need to troll pretty slow or else they tend to either track way off to the side or waterski on the surface.

A Canadian Wiggler will give you a similar action, but they can be trolled a bit faster since they are made of brass. Just switch out the front treble for a smaller hook as the one that comes with it can hook the nose of the lure and foul up the action.

SS

ETA: Kwikfish are also very similar to flatfish and do well also. I find that they tend to troll a bit better.

Last edited by SamSteele; 02/02/15.

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Lazy Ike is also similar. I have two or three of this type lure...somewhere. I promise to try one this year on one of those "nothing else works" days.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's be honest here. If you are fishing a lake in northern Canada for pike or walleye it almost doesn't matter what your lure is (within reason). I once use a two lures I made from a soup spoon for a whole day and still caught good fish. The bowl of the spoon was very similar to a Williams Trophy II, and the other was just the handle with some flash tape on it. Sometimes it's fun to use something you never thought would work and find out that it does!

Point of the post is that you can pack a simple tackle box and still have good fishing action. Classic Len Thompson spoons and Mister Twister jigs are pretty much all you need for most northern lakes.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the small F2(?) fly fishing. They work.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back when I was a kid, and did my trolling on Lake Michigan's Little Bay De Noc, a silver F5 with a crawler on it was bad medecine on walleyes. When I fished the bass tounaments, we had a guy in our club who fished a couple old Pfleuger Supreme levelwinds. His go to lure was a frog colored flatfish. Nothing wrong with kickin' it old school.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Let's be honest here. If you are fishing a lake in northern Canada for pike or walleye it almost doesn't matter what your lure is (within reason). I once use a two lures I made from a soup spoon for a whole day and still caught good fish. The bowl of the spoon was very similar to a Williams Trophy II, and the other was just the handle with some flash tape on it. Sometimes it's fun to use something you never thought would work and find out that it does!

Point of the post is that you can pack a simple tackle box and still have good fishing action. Classic Len Thompson spoons and Mister Twister jigs are pretty much all you need for most northern lakes.

SS

Thats exactly my opinion also. Take enough of 3 lures and have them rigged on 3 rods. A rapala type for trolling, a daredevil
type for casting/trolling for pike, and most importantly jigs. And if forced to go with just one, ill take the jigs. Im talking Canadien lake fishing for mainly pike and walleyes, not deep trolling for lakers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know where you're going but here in BC's interior lakes, if you're not fly fishing (which is close to sacrilege), they are a mainstay for rainbows. My sons use them almost exclusively when they're using their spinning gear - black with silver, froggy patterns, and red with black, all trolled with a bit of weight about 4 feet in front of the lure. They catch tons of fish with this set-up. The flatfish would be the first lure I would suggest for anyone fishing for rainbows in the interior.
They're not as good for lake trout, dolly v's, or kokanee, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 26 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.