Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Called this bull in this past archery season. Bull came in and then turned to leave. 30yds quartering away. When my hunter hit the latch he turned straight away. Not the best shot, but it worked, THANK GOD
Bull went 40 yds and was very dead.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

125 grain slick trick. It was buried nearly to the fletchings.

Toby Joe

GB1

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd call that a lucky arrow...that I may never use again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a poop chute slick trick all right.....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Femoral artery will put them down quick
a case of rather be lucky than good

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Very much a case of rather be lucky then good. When I seen the arrow hit him, my heart sank and I knew it was going to be a very long day. Then I heard the crash. Not much blood on the trail, but he only went 40 yds. I caped and quartered him on the ground and didnt open him up. I figured the tenderloins were toast. So I didnt get to see the internal damamge, but I bet there was alot of blood.

Toby Joe

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
I figured the tenderloins were toast.

Why'd you figure that? Not condemning your decision, just curious why it was made.

Brandon Gleason
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tobey Joe:

Are you sure you weren't hunting in Texas?

KC

confused

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very much a case of rather be lucky then good. When I seen the arrow hit him, my heart sank and I knew it was going to be a very long day. Then I heard the crash. Not much blood on the trail, but he only went 40 yds. I caped and quartered him on the ground and didnt open him up. I figured the tenderloins were toast. So I didnt get to see the internal damamge, but I bet there was alot of blood.

Toby Joe
Unless that's a 4 foot arrow, it's nowhere near the tenderloins.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure, but if that arrow zipped through guts those tenderloins wouldn't be hitting my grill or plate either... Or maybe you missed the part where he said it was buried to the fletchings...

Tanner

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That hit with an arrow or a bullet is extremely lethal.

I had the same happen to a pretty good muley on me many years ago.

Was a bit trickier track, but was dead about 150 yards away. You could follow the trail, but it was a slow trail to follow but no big deal really.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
Sure, but if that arrow zipped through guts those tenderloins wouldn't be hitting my grill or plate either... Or maybe you missed the part where he said it was buried to the fletchings...

Tanner

JACKPOT

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Texas heart shot is better than naught. If the arrows dont fly, the meat dont fry.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stick 'em, and let the guide sort it out.....

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had a guy tell me this year "That one in the liver is better then 2 in the quiver". Thought that was pretty good.

Toby Joe

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Im betting hes glad he took the shot.

Pull the TL and strip the perinysium before the chitt soaks in. Grill them in terryaki and you'll be in like Flynn. wink

Last edited by eyeball; 01/22/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Tanner

JACKPOT

That's an excellent point. I was, again, asking for my own edification and not as a jab to you.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tanner

JACKPOT

Tanner is good people. He doesn't miss much.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
PUll em rinse em and eat em. IMO never waste a loin or a backstrap, but to each his/her own and if its a long time till cooking I guess I may htink otherwise.

drop em in a [bleep] pile of mud? rinse em and eat em. Heck, people eat haggis. Just dont let it fester.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Dad took a bow shot at a deer a couple of years ago, grazed a limb between him and the deer and the arrow to hit the rear ham. Deer ran ~40 yards and died. The arrow exited and he said the blood trail was massive. The femoral artery is a killer...but I'd not try to hit it on purpose.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Femoral is a bit trickier, but if you hit the pelvic joint there are a LOT of large arteries right there that almost have to be damaged by that hit.

FWIW the ham is also more artery rich than just the femoral, the femoral will be really quick death, but even a good solid hit there will bleed out pretty quickly.

In retrospect I let a couple of deer walk that I should have shot, now that i know what I know.

Same can be said for a rifle... once you know what its capable of and where things are located, you become much more deadly, and don't have to listen to all the old tales either...

Edit to add... I should not have said pelvic joint, more like the cavity is what I meant. Can't seem to think of the right word right now either...

Last edited by rost495; 01/23/15.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,642
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.