Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I'm thinking really hard about one of these. Any opinions?

[Linked Image]

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You haven't bought it yet? Geesh....

You're looking at a rather exclusive product with a high price tag. If you can afford it, you will smile on the other end of the deal.

I'm poor, but a neighbor is not and has two of about 5 yrs age. They are at the top end of the quality pyramid in fit, finish, reliability and precision, even with the chintzy wood stocks. ( laugh ) Tongue in cheek there, the wood is fantastic.

From another perspective, you won't make money selling an almost new Savage. You won't lose money with a Dakota.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Recently at the DSC convention I spoke with a few guild members about Dakota. All praised the rifle as being excellent for a "production" rifle. However, they did agree in their opinion of the older Dakotas being superior to current offerings. The main concern was build consistency and accuracy as of late.

They are beautiful rifles.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll lose my "looney" creds for this, but I generally gravitate to one rifle and let it go at that. I might as well let it be one of these, right? whistle

It's a lot of coin, though, you're right. I'll be doing overtime on weddings and funerals! grin

Seriously, though, I'm interested in what anyone might be able to tell me about the actions. I have 7x57s in M98, M70, and MRC1999. Any comparison?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If I'm not mistaken, they had some functional issues.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by CBB15
Recently at the DSC convention I spoke with a few guild members about Dakota. All praised the rifle as being excellent for a "production" rifle. However, they did agree in their opinion of the older Dakotas being superior to current offerings. The main concern was build consistency and accuracy as of late.

They are beautiful rifles.

Isn't Dakota now under the same ownership umbrella as Remington? If so, that may be a reason for the current offerings not being up to par.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I recently had an opportunity to purchase an "older" Dakota 76 in .416 Rigby. (1999?) I may only shoot one bullet through it that really counts, but I want that ONE bullet to REALLY COUNT with a dead Cape Buffalo on the receiving end later this year.

They are truly a work of art IMHO.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

I'm thinking really hard about one of these. Any opinions?

[Linked Image]

Mike

Nice rifle.

I traded for a .270, not as fancy as that one, but pretty nice. Mine didn't have the express sights. I didn't use it and it went down the road, traded for an Ed Brown Damara, .300WM, a rifle that I really like and one that I use.

That was pre-Fire days when I didn't know about the .270's tainted profile... shocked

I've had and have guns that are too nice to take in the woods. If you're going to be hesitant to take it hunting, you may want to re-think this deal.

Besides, what's the Bishop gonna think when you show up with a high dollar rifle, better than his...?? He may cut your wages... frown

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't know about the present 76's, but the original rifles made when Don Allen was at the helm of Dakota sometimes had functional problems. I know this because of several friends who owned them, and a well-known gunsmith who had several in for "fixing" various OTB problems the first time I visited his shop. The only one I ever shot much functioned fine, but wasn't outstandingly accurate.

The new ones may have eliminated the glitches. Many models of rifles have started out with functional problems, but fixed them quickly enough to become quite popular.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have two, both in .338WM, I bought my first new in May, 1994 and my second, a fancier version, last June, used but, 98%.

They SHOOT, consistet sub-moa with max. 250NPs and the older Trophy Bonded.

They have beautiful balance, handle like a fine sidelock 20 bore and function flawlessly, although the first neede a stronger W spring.

This action, plus the old Brno ZG-47 are THE best factory big game hunting actions ever made and the rifles are much superior to anything close their price point.

The pair I now have is closer to the "perfect" BC rifle than anthing else and I carry mine a lot, even with dozens of higher end big game rifles in my safes.

JMHO, but, try one, you wll probably like it.

IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've had and have guns that are too nice to take in the woods. If you're going to be hesitant to take it hunting, you may want to re-think this deal.

Besides, what's the Bishop gonna think when you show up with a high dollar rifle, better than his...?? He may cut your wages... frown

DF

Well, that is a thought - the wood issue. I have it priced in both their "xx" and "xxx" grade wood. Frankly, if I could find someone to rework my existing Zastava M98 or MRC ASR into something like that, I'm not sure I wouldn't take that route instead. But, as they say, life's too short to hunt with ugly rifles. smile

As for the Bishop, well, it'd be hard 'not' to go into the woods with a better looking rifle than his. He's shooting a Ruger American. grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike

DF

Well, that is a thought - the wood issue. I have it priced in both their "xx" and "xxx" grade wood. Frankly, if I could find someone to rework my existing Zastava M98 or MRC ASR into something like that, I'm not sure I wouldn't take that route instead. But, as they say, life's too short to hunt with ugly rifles. smile

As for the Bishop, well, it'd be hard 'not' to go into the woods with a better looking rifle than his. He's shooting a Ruger American. grin

OUCH!

Obviously not a Loony... grin

I don't know if Karnis is able to do stocks, but if he is, reworking one of your existing would be tempting and a better use of resources, IMO.

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Obviously not a Loony... grin

I don't know if Karnis is able to do stocks, but if he is, reworking one of your existing would be tempting and a better use of resources, IMO.

DF

I haven't seen anything of him on the 'Fire for a long time. It's not just a matter of the stock, though. I'm after the rest of the "express" set-up as well.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Express stuff looks cool, but with the type of hunting we generally do, not much need to release the scope and head into the bush with irons...

I still like the looks...

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here is mine,bought in Oct 1994,got it Feb 1995. 7mm Dakota and a Leopold 4.5-14x.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What caliber/cartridge are you looking to get Rev?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You haven't bought it yet? Geesh....

You're looking at a rather exclusive product with a high price tag. If you can afford it, you will smile on the other end of the deal.

I'm poor, but a neighbor is not and has two of about 5 yrs age. They are at the top end of the quality pyramid in fit, finish, reliability and precision, even with the chintzy wood stocks. ( laugh ) Tongue in cheek there, the wood is fantastic.

From another perspective, you won't make money selling an almost new Savage. You won't lose money with a Dakota.

maybe so Dan, but you do have a 7x57 Mauser that is a work of art in my opinion! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There has been one used .270 M76 at a local dealer for a couple years. I think it's a little over $3k. The wood is quite plain.

I think in general they over-rate their wood. Did I mention I am a wood slut? blush grin I've seen Dakota call wood XX grade, that would be called "decent" by a Ruger #1 owner. here's an example:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464588721

In fairness, there have been some Dakotas out recently that seem better - this one is honest to God exhibition wood:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464165855

I nearly bought a Model 10 in 7mm Dakota a few years ago, but could not quite swing it at the time, It was a little over $3k and had good wood. I collect single shots so a Model 10 is on my wish list.

Because of the weight of a M76 action, I think I would lean toward it for medium bores & DG cartridges, more so than general deer-sized game. The M76 Traveler take-downs are pretty interesting, though spendy. You can have more than one barrel & caliber for a different action, as long as the case heads match - for example a 7mm STW, and a .375 H&H, Or a a .338 Lapua and a .416 Rigby.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agreed, was going to post much the same, these rifles make outstanding .300 mags, ,338s, ,375s and so forth, but, are a tad weighty in, say, .270Win.

They are IT for the superb, outstanding and perfect .338WM, the best cartridge for serious hunting..... wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Personally I would look for a nice used one.You could probably find one at about half the price of a new.I have had two used ones and they were the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever owned.My friend bought a used one in 270 Win. and the stock had a slight crack in the butt.He sent it in to them and they put on a new stock of much better wood than was on it before.Completely re blued it and sent it back at NO CHARGE.Now thats is pretty cool,I would say.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had this 1989 vintage 416 Rigby for some time. It functioned very well and was as accurate as needed. Also very well put together. I bought it used for a song when I was living in Houston and sold it for two songs to a guy in SoCal that was going to hunt buffalo with it. He did and now he has it for sale at Champlin's, ad below. The Dakota was replaced with a NH Win M70 416 Rem.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=2600

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.