Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Rev,please don't take this the wrong way,BUT,load down a .300 H&H! Keep this up I'm gonna tell Ingwe. smile

I was just thinking that it might be a little much for a 90 pound pig at 40 yards. Drop a 150 gr cup and core to about 2300 fps and you might be on to something. Of course, about the time you did that a 290 pounder would appear 200 yards away! cry

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,for the first a 30/30 would work,the second well.... whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,all kidding aside,why do you want a straight pull bolt action?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Rev,for the first a 30/30 would work,the second well.... whistle

Yep!

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Saaawwwwweeeeeeeettttttt!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Rev,all kidding aside,why do you want a straight pull bolt action?

I don't know how seriously I want one, but there are two reasons why I think a straight-pull is an attractive option. First, they're compact, which makes them handy in brush or blind. From what I can tell, they're about 3 inches shorter than a standard bolt action with the same length barrel. Second, every once in a while I'll either get a chance at a second pig or need to put another round in one that I might have hit too high. The clearings where the pigs are taken is never any more than about 25 feet from dense palmetto or myrtle and oak thickets. Pigs might not look fast, but they can cover that 25 feet pretty dog-gone fast. Frankly, a good auto would be the ticket, but then there's that length thing again.

It just sounds like rationalization, doesn't it...good rationalization, but rationalization nevertheless.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes it does sound like "good rationalization" to me.

You sound like a "rifle looney" what will the itch be tomorrow,next week.... cool

My itch right now is either a Winchester in .25-06 or a "classic" style rifle in .340 Wby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ain't it the truth! I always give it three weeks. If the itch is still there, I then begin to think seriously about scratching it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My wife gives me two weeks,then she knows I'm serious! laugh

Almost never get to two weeks,or even two days,hours,minutes. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My brother-in-law just bought an Aimpoint and shared one of the video downloads he received. It's over an hour of Franz Albrecht and his friends taking out European boar in Hungary, almost all at full speed. On this particular video they're shooting Sauer 202s. Holy cow, can that fellow work a bolt. I've seen a clip of him with the Merkel and he's even faster...which is incredible. There's something to be said about young eyes and reflexes.

And the piggies end up in a nice little pile!

Even more amazing when you realize they're doing it all offhand.

The shooting is incredible, no doubt about it. I don't know if you've seen the clips of the indoor range where they shoot, but it is a live-fire range with a video of running boar. At the shot the video freezes for an instant and a red dot shows bullet impact. I wish I had one of those handy! I remember as a kid reading one of Jack O'Connor's books and he had an illustration of how to practice a running shot by having someone roll a tire with a target in the middle down a hill. The only problem in south Florida is that we don't have any hills. grin

One of my parishioners is from Germany and his mother frequently shoots driven game. And you're right: they pile them up at the end, have a little ceremony respecting the game, then off to the market they go. He said it's a pretty interesting experience.

Actually, I was was referring to the pile they end up in after the shot! They catch them as they pass through those fire cuts and roll them over.

I have a friend who was an Army captain in Germany at the end of the war. As the mlitary administrator for a good-sized area, and since civilians were forbidden to have firearms, he was able to do a lot of hunting and learned all the ceremonial stuff. He still has a bunch of roebuck antlers on his wall. He even bagged a couple of auerhahns, sort of a German "turkey".

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, I see. The looked like boulders where Franz Albrecht was shooting!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ain't it the truth! I always give it three weeks. If the itch is still there, I then begin to think seriously about scratching it.

You aren't sure how serious you are about the Dakota after stewing on it...

But I'll bet you still want a british magazine rifle grin

Save your money wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

Save your money wink

For the magazine rifle? Or just in general? confused

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I see. The looked like boulders where Franz Albrecht was shooting!

I believe Albrecht is German for "Whack 'n Stack".

What fresh Hell is this?
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Could be. Looke him up on the Internet. He's some sort of prince. Evidently he has a lot of time on his hands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have plenty of TIME. It's the shortage of that other resource that keeps me experiencing driven boar shooting second hand. If one wants to live like a prince, one should be more selective when choosing one's parents.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe

Save your money wink

For the magazine rifle? Or just in general? confused
Use the money and go on a safari.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have a Dakota 76 African in .416 Rigby they made for me in early 2007. So far, it's been on six (6) DG hunts and has always worked perfectly. I've got ~400 rounds through it now and it consistently shoots an inch or less. It has accounted for many head of game. If I could only own one rifle, this would be the one I keep.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.