-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the meopta S2 is the best spotter I have ever looked into. its better than swaro, zeiss, leica all of them. With all that said the only thing that would give me pause in forking over the $2200 for one is resale value. the other big names will always hold their value. many people don't know what meopta is and as so I think your going to take a hit on the used market. I never pay retail for optics, EVER. I buy right so I can upgrade without taking a big hit at resale time. there is deals to be had on the S2 call around is all I got to say. let them know your a legitimate buyer and not a tire kicker. you will be suprised at the deal you get. last time I looked I could get the S2 for about 1700 ish with a couple phone calls. cabelas would have to be below that AND able to cover the sales tax for them to be a player if I was going to pull the trigger on one.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
last time I looked I could get the S2 for about 1700 ish with a couple phone calls.

With the eyepiece, or body alone ?

Cumminscowboy, you make a very good point with regard to re-sale value, something I like to keep in the back of my head as well on large purchases.

I did do some calling around today, and will likely make the trip to Eagle Optics on Sat to do some side x side comparisons. When I called them to see if they had the various models in stock, I was told they did not have the Meopro, but did have the S2 angled, the Swaro ATS HD 80, and all of the Swaro ATX/STX variants.

In another call, I located a ANIB Swaro ATS 80 HD w/20-60x eyepiece that can be had for about same as what I've seen new S2s w/eyepiece going for. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to look at/thru it before someone else decides it's a good deal. From a re-sale standpoint, I don't think one can go wrong with the Swaro, but at this point that is not foremost in my mind.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Which store is that?

The other question that begs answering is this; Were these actual Meopta (branded) S2s with eyepieces, or the Cabela's Instinct version (fixed eye-piece)?

I was in the store today ( Springfield Oregon store); and they had 2 of the Meopta S2's. One angled and one straight. They were asking $1605, but I know they will take 10% of of that, maybe more.

As far as eyepieces- since these are the actual Meopta ones, the EP is not fixed. The Cabelas ones are 20-70 fixed. And BTW- the 20-70 zoom is a very nice zoom EP.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
last time I looked I could get the S2 for about 1700 ish with a couple phone calls.

Cumminscowboy, you make a very good point with regard to re-sale value, something I like to keep in the back of my head as well on large purchases.

I did do some calling around today, and will likely make the trip to Eagle Optics on Sat to do some side x side comparisons. When I called them to see if they had the various models in stock, I was told they did not have the Meopro, but did have the S2 angled, the Swaro ATS HD 80, and all of the Swaro ATX/STX variants.

In another call, I located a ANIB Swaro ATS 80 HD w/20-60x eyepiece that can be had for about same as what I've seen new S2s w/eyepiece going for. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to look at/thru it before someone else decides it's a good deal. From a re-sale standpoint, I don't think one can go wrong with the Swaro, but at this point that is not foremost in my mind.

it was with 20-70 eye piece. I haven't acutally been able to look at an S2 yet with the wide angle eye piece. I would be interested in looking at one with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
meopta must be good schit. I see where some azzhat stole their stuff at Shot Show, and left the Swaro/Leica/Zeiss booths untouched.....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I see where some azzhat stole their stuff at Shot Show, and left the Swaro/Leica/Zeiss booths untouched.....

Confirmed. Talked to a I guy I know that is at SHOT. Optics and laptops taken from the Meopta booth.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would sure like to know where you can buy this scope, with the eyepiece for $1700.00. Let me know, and I'll call and buy one myself.

Respects,
Richard

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

it was with 20-70 eye piece. I haven't acutally been able to look at an S2 yet with the wide angle eye piece. I would be interested in looking at one with it.

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, there was no response from cummingscowboy, so I used llamas information, and bought one from the Cabela's in Oregon.

Price was $1603.00 with the full factory warranty.

Thank you Llama, you saved me at least $500.00 from what I could find here in Colorado!!

Respects,
Richard

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Well, there was no response from cummingscowboy, so I used llamas information, and bought one from the Cabela's in Oregon.

Straight or angled?

Glad you were able to get a hold of someone in the Bargain Cave that knew something about spotting scopes/Meopta. I called three times, spoke to 4 different 'outfitters' and not a one had a clue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wifowler, PM sent concerning contact info on story mgr.

Regards,
Richard

Originally Posted by Buckskin

Straight or angled?

Glad you were able to get a hold of someone in the Bargain Cave that knew something about spotting scopes/Meopta. I called three times, spoke to 4 different 'outfitters' and not a one had a clue.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 13 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.