-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took my family to our cabin in Saskatchewan for some ice fishing between Christmas and New Years. We ended up fishing for 3 days and caught over 200 perch total, keeping 80 for the freezer. I got a 6 man Eskimo popup tent on Boxing Day, so we could all fish inside one tent with a heater. Kids had a great time. This picture is of one afternoon's "keepers".

[Linked Image]

Peace and quiet on a frozen lake with your family around you, catching fish, telling stories, and keeping warm. What more could a guy ask for?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is sweet!

One of the things I miss from when I lived in Manitoba was icefishing perch -- and eating them within an hour of catching them!

John

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Great fishing! I like perch.

What was bait?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice haul. The pic should be titled "And the work begins"!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bait was Northland Slug Bug and other micro jigs with glow heads tipped with a maggot.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do hope you are acquainted with an electric filet knife. . or teenagers! Awesome eats!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lovely! I like the skin on so divide by 10 and that's what I usually keep. Hopefully next month when the eggs are best.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very nice mess of perch. Nothing better for eating. If you ever run low on maggots or just want to try something different, try perch eyes on your hook. Sometimes they outfish maggots and they stay on your hook longer.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That looks and sounds like a great way to spend a few days having fun with family! A little work getting them ready for the fish fry, but I'm happy to do that kind of work. Enjoy!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all. All the cleaning and deboning was done by yours truly the good old manual way. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer!

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get an electric filet knife and you'll never look back Sam.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I use a custom filleting knife that I inherited from my Grandfather, so it has become a source of pride to do it the manual way.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I resisted until this year. perch have hard scales and rib bones, and quickly dull knives. I love sharp knives; I *HATE* sharpening them! I use the electtric - or however you spell it - to cut thru the rib bones, and then use a my favorite fillet knife to cut the rib bones out. Much faster, even when I shave meat off the removed rib bones. They make great fish chips!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,220
Posts18,466,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.