Campfire Member
B
How soon should I book my flight to SA

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have gotten tickets as little as ten days before departure. Best is to get them as soon as details are SOLID. I use Steve at Travel With Guns.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I always booked 3-4 months in advance. You have a better chance of getting seats that you want.
The flights I taken have been full, so don't wait too long.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Classic dilemna: Too soon and you pay full price too late and cruddy seats or the flight is booked,

I booked 10 months out, great seat and absolutely no issues, I used Lori at Travel Express (from the AH site)

About 3 months before I departed I was messing on the internet and could have bought the tickets cheaper but, for the money and time on the aircraft, it was really a non-issue

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For our last safari to Africa, my wife and I booked our flights in January, for our August departure, thru Gracy Travel.
Once your safari plans are nailed down, with little or no chance of cancellation or change of plans, there is no reason not to get the tickets.

Plus- getting the tickets paid for well in advance sorta takes some of the sting out of the costs yet to come, further down the road........

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most airlines have cheaper rates if purchased at least 30 days in advance. You can go to someplace like travelocity, I think it is, and see what they prices are. OR, I have just checked the airlines themselves. Last year, went to RSA and took the grandson. Paid $3,200 R/T for the two of us, from DC to Joburg. Used to be places like Gracey, have used them, got their fee from the airline, so didn't cost you anything more, but last time I checked, the airlines not paying them, so a fee on top. Also, depends if you go with a non-refundable bargain rate of full rate. There's no reason to pay full rate, unless you have more money that you need, as seems to be at least twice as much. There are only really two airlines flying from USA directly to RSA, Delta and SAA. You can fly directly from DC to joburg, with a stop in Dakar, or fly to Atlanta with a stop there, and fly directly to joburg with no stops on the way. I understand Delta now has bigger seats/or more leg room. Also Dakar right on the hump in Africa which is where Nigeria and such are, which means closer to the Ebola area. I personally, having done it once, would never fly though Europe again. NO gun issues flying from USA direct, but have read where some at times if going through Europe. Research "cheap airline fares" and it will come up with a number of places to look. Last year I bought our tickets about a month ahead of time.

NOTE: non-refundable bargain rate doesn't mean you can't change thetravel dates, just a fee to do so, and tickets are good for , I think, 2 years if something come up.

Last edited by ghost; 12/29/14.

Ghost
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I/we book ASAP upon firming up plans with PH/outfitter. We booked 10 months in advance and paid for the economy comfort seats, first row, left side that allows 3 to seat together and early boarding to stow gear in overhead. BTW, if anyone can get the first compartment, left side of the aircraft back against the restroom we have found this to be good seats. Plus, a person can have the restroom available when vacant. I was able to stand behind my seat for long periods to stretch my legs. Not economy comfort though. This will be our 3rd and perhaps last trip to RSA to hunt. Have learned to start early and plan well. Easily done and pays in comfort in the long run. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 12/29/14.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For international travel I try to use air miles. So I book them as soon as they open up.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Delta allows you to book 320 days prior...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
B
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I'm booked went delta from alanta

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
If you want a good seat the sooner the better. Wait too long and you don't get a good seat. Don't ask me how I know. cry

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a fan of Delta's Economy Comfort so I always try to book before the SCI show. That way I'm locked in before all of the show bookings. I have used Gracy for all of my trips.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gracy and Delta EC for me as well. Looking to go back to Namibia in May.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Book as far in advance as possible. You can book your flights yourself. I've always booked my own flights and made my own travel arrangements and have never had any issues.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Book as far in advance as possible. You can book your flights yourself. I've always booked my own flights and made my own travel arrangements and have never had any issues.

I'm very capable of booking flights, SAPS, lodging, etc myself. But when the SHTF in a country like Africa, I find peace of mind knowing folks like Ann @ Air2000 and Gracy's experienced people are on deck to sort things out.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I bought mine last week for my trip to SA in June. We are going through Gracy and Delta as well

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.