Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9541456 01/24/15
gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took a 10/22 in on a trade from a buddy of mine. There's a place here in town that manufacturer's replacement barrels. So I stopped in to see if they had a bull barrel version that was threaded for a can. They did, and so I walked out the door new barrel in hand.
Well I just had to see what this thing would do. I put a little eotech that I had laying around on it and was pretty surprised with what it's done so far. I think it'll make a nice little truck gun....here's two groups that I shot. One with a suppressor on, one without.
Both were shot with CCI ammo, rapid fire....
I'm anxious to try different ammo now
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gonzaga; 01/24/15.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
From what distance were you shooting and which group was shot with the suppressor, top or bottom?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First picture is blurry or my eyes are getting worse. What yardage were you shooting? What do the groups measure? What do you think of the eotech on the 10-22? Newer 10-22 with plastic parts or one of the older ones??? Pictures of the rifle man...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've put together around 7-8 10/22 for our family that included 4 sons. Each son left the home when they moved out with a modified 10/22.

I would put Hogue overmolded stocks on them and either Butler Creek barrels or Elysium barrels and later found out that Elysium was making the barrels for Butler Creek. These rifles would almost always shot .5-.75 at 75 yards with CCI Mini Mags and would usually stay under 1.25" at 75 yards with plinking ammo.

The last one I put together had the polymer trigger group and when I got it new I took it apart and added the stock and the barrel and lubed the trigger parts with CLP before putting the scope on it or even shooting it. I wish I could remember where I applied the lube because this trigger went from heavy and gritty to smooth and light. We have an older 10/22 that was modified as above with about 17,000-20,000 rounds trough it and the triggers now in those two rifles are about the same. One from extensive use and cleaning and the other from lubing it..............where ????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redhill
Each son left the home when they moved out with a modified 10/22.

I would put Hogue overmolded stocks on them and either Butler Creek barrels or Elysium barrels and later found out that Elysium was making the barrels for Butler Creek.

I like the way you think about sending each son out the door with a modded 10/22 grin

OP, sorry in-advance for getting sidetracked...

I bought a bull barrel 10/22 from a bud. It has a Clerke barrel (now Elysium I believe). It shoots lights-out with 40gr bulk ammo or Woof MT using a 6x Super Chicken. Another bud was trimming the tips of small trees with it at 100y last time out.

But I chopped the barrelgrin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/24/15.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jason, how short is the barrel now? Damn good shooting 10-22 now from the looks of it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Top target is without the suppressor. Just 25 yards out. Yes it is blurry, sorry about that.

I didn't measure the group, it was a busy day out there, I just walked out, snapped the pic and grabbed the target off the board and threw it away....

It is an Elysium arms barrel. I might have to change to a scope to see what this baby will do now....lol. I have a VXII, target dot that just might find its way on there. I have never tried any Wolf ammo, most 22 ammo is still pretty hard to come by around here...

Thanks for posting them pics 4thpoint, good shooting there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That shoots about like my MKII target pistol at 25 yards. This is with open sights. The ruger 10-22 (with factory barrel) in the picture shot the target next to it at 50 yards with open sights. Chuckster and hat there for moral support grin

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wouldn't want to be a gopher or bunny, when any of our 10/22's are operating.

They're killing machines.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Jason, how short is the barrel now? Damn good shooting 10-22 now from the looks of it.

L,

The barrel was 20" at the start. I cut it at 16.5", tried to face it with a big belt sander (actually came out pretty good) then took it to the lathe. Then got carried away with different target-style crowns. Its barely legal now!

Screwed up when I tried to clean the actual crown with a VLD chamfer tool. Too much taper. Switched to a standard chamfer and it came out great.

Jason

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That rifle also loves 36gr Remington Golden Bullets of all things. At 100 yards its scary accurate with Goldens and as I mentioned earlier a bud was trimming twigs at 50-100y with those Goldens. I did put a Kidd trigger, guide rod, and buffer in it for the heck of it. And bedded a few inches past the clamp.

I've shot a bunch of bulk and some match ammo on paper at 50y and it doesn't seem finicky at all. I've settled on Goldens in hopes of shooting sage rats this spring but it seems to like everything.

If a fella took his time with it, I bet it'd give my Anschutz a run for its money. Hard to beat the Annie but that 10/22 impresses everyone.

First pic shows it as-is now in Dr. Frankenruger stock painted green. Other pic before the chop... with a Hogue and different scope & rail.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Clerke shot 40gr Thunderbolts pretty well too, when it was still 20". Target below was with the Hogue stock and 3-15x SWFA. Pretty sure I was just blasting away and a better shooter could have kept those fliers in one big hole.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

L,

The barrel was 20" at the start. I cut it at 16.5", tried to face it with a big belt sander (actually came out pretty good) then took it to the lathe. Then got carried away with different target-style crowns. Its barely legal now!

Screwed up when I tried to clean the actual crown with a VLD chamfer tool. Too much taper. Switched to a standard chamfer and it came out great.

Jason

LOL. Sounds like that was fun huh.. laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
That rifle also loves 36gr Remington Golden Bullets of all things. At 100 yards its scary accurate with Goldens and as I mentioned earlier a bud was trimming twigs at 50-100y with those Goldens. I did put a Kidd trigger, guide rod, and buffer in it for the heck of it. And bedded a few inches past the clamp.

I've shot a bunch of bulk and some match ammo on paper at 50y and it doesn't seem finicky at all. I've settled on Goldens in hopes of shooting sage rats this spring but it seems to like everything.

If a fella took his time with it, I bet it'd give my Anschutz a run for its money. Hard to beat the Annie but that 10/22 impresses everyone.

First pic shows it as-is now in Dr. Frankenruger stock painted green. Other pic before the chop... with a Hogue and different scope & rail.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Geeze, that is a fat barrel. I got lucky with mine as it has the standard factory SS barrel and it was not finicky either. It liked the bulk federal hp's which suited me just fine. It also liked the federal automatch and American eagles. Here's how it did with the bulk federal hp's:

[Linked Image]

I ended up selling this rifle to a buddy that needed a good golf ball gun. Now I ran across another older SS 10-22 with the metal trigger group (not the plastic one) for $200.00. I'll likely buy it and throw a heavier barrel and nice stock on it. A guy should never be without a good 10-22.. The 10-22 is as American as apple pie.. wink

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
BSA, What is a golf ball gun??? We have shot golf balls with pistols.. The only kind of golf that ever interested me.. A new game or sport?????

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farkin' 10/22s can't hit chitt near as I can tell.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang nice shooting guys....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Naw, they don't shoot... grin

This one, I bought at a gun show from a guy walking the floor wanting to turn his gun. Paid him a "C" note, but that was some years ago. I installed a Walther barrel from Clark, bedded the action and foreend, re-built the trigger using Clark and Volquartsen parts, even installed a trigger stop with Brownell parts. Added the supressor later.

Target, 50' indoor range with common W/W ammo, not match. It'll shoot the fancy stuff too, just not that picky.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So, were you standing on your head when you were shooting or writing?

Did sort of the same thing with my own after picking it up save for the muffler. Started out shooting nice patterns, but with a little tweak and twiddle, leg of newt and............... shazzam!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Naw, they don't shoot... grin

This one, I bought at a gun show from a guy walking the floor wanting to turn his gun. Paid him a "C" note, but that was some years ago. I installed a Walther barrel from Clark, bedded the action and foreend, re-built the trigger using Clark and Volquartsen parts, even installed a trigger stop with Brownell parts. Added the supressor later.

Target, 50' indoor range with common W/W ammo, not match. It'll shoot the fancy stuff too, just not that picky.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Veddy nice!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.