Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've used various weight fleeces as my mid layer for years in my layering system. I've had very few issues with fleece - its warm, lightweight, and quiet.

My family bought me a Marmot down vest for Christmas and I've been wearing it hiking and for alot of running around town tasks. It has a remarkable weight to warmth ratio. I've looked at various puff jackets over the years and was always skeptical with something that could pack into a small pouch.

I'm also evaluating the Sitka Gear line and finding it has a good weight to warmth ratio. Been looking at the Kelvin jacket as a primary intermediate layer. It is made of 170 gram primaloft.

What has been your experience with these primaloft/down puff jackets as a mid-layer? Any recommendations on brands/products?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cabelas primaloft "passage" is decent. Noisy, but cheap and warm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fleece is somewhat obsolete with a good puff jacket although nice for adding a thin, warm layer. Lots and lots of flavors and tons reviews out there.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lightweight fleece vest under primaloft jacket is a good combo.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Primaloft pretty much sucks for bow hunting, but I like it for most everything else. I really like my Patagonia puff ball best and pull over.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
A lightweight fleece vest under primaloft jacket is a good combo.

100wt fleece or lighter for that, IMO. The Patagonia R1 Hoody is the standard, or the Propper Spy Hoody if you can find one.

Last edited by Glocktard; 01/24/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wick, warm, wind.

Firstlite Chama hoody + fleece mid layer + Primaloft = toasty. Start peeling when hiking, pile on when glassing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Cabelas primaloft "passage" is decent. Noisy, but cheap and warm.

Great jacket. I have one and wanted to buy one for my nephew for Christmas but no longer available.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I still like my fleece. I've been through the down phase (a long time ago). That's why we layer. Plus down is still susceptible to moisture--be it from sweating or from the sky.....

I area ski and backcountry ski, and every article of clothing I wear is synthetic. And I have a fleece vest mid-layer for every activity.

Backountry skiing can be the ultimate test, climbing (lots of sweating) but in windy conditions in varying temps, skiing down--still can be work but windy and lots of snow pouring on you--especially when I crash....... Of course, unlike hunting I have hardshell coat and pants on to shed snow.

For hunting I like fleece because it tends drape and is quiet. Even my cold weather hunting coat is a Cabela's fleece-Gore Tex coat from the mid 90's (Remember the Whitetail Series with Chuck Adams smiling mug shot?). Love that coat--I own two of them in fact.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Some well known ultralight backpackers still prefer fleece for consistently damp and wet conditions. Apparently even the synthetic puffies aren't very comfortable or warm when they are wet.

"Fleece clothing is often poo-poo�d because �puffy� clothing (insulated with goose down or synthetic fill) is much warmer for the weight. But in prolonged wet environments, I will inevitably get wet. And a wet puffy is cold and uncomfortable, regardless of the insulation type. The warmth of fleece is less effected: it retains less moisture and its loft is less effected. I longed for a fleece mid-layer to sandwich between my active layer and rain shell during the Alaska-Yukon Expedition, during which numerous storms overwhelmed my rain gear."

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-light-not-always-right-or-better/

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I need to get a puff because I'm sick of freezing my butt off on top of mountains at last light and first light. NW winds for us are cold, and that's the only guarantee you'll not have fog on mountain tops. Rain isn't aa issue because if it's raining, there is a really good chance it's socked in and you are in PVC, in the tent, or heading back to the rig to take a shot at it on another hunt.

Anybody ever handle one of these?
Cabelas XPG

Last edited by Calvin; 01/25/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Primaloft is awesome stuff. And the jacket linked is a good'un. The XPG line is pretty good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't used mine much yet, but the First Lite Uncompahgre seems to be a pretty sweet jacket.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I first used fleece in 1976, have still got a lot of it and like it for some situations.

I have down (very highend) and seven Pl. jackets, my best are original Integral Designs and these are my overall favourites wearing, as I do for 90+% of my activities and have for 50 years, merino layers.

I would keep Pl. over fleece and even down for BC conditions and down in dry cold, the Yukon and some winters here.

My best to date, out of a LOT of gear worn and worn out, is my Westcomb Neoshell Apoc, Montbell or ID jacket and merino underneath. I have never found any synthetic layers that keep me as comfortable, but, I no longer ski-mountaineer and now move quite slowly in the bush.

The BEST gear I now know of IS Westcomb and "Wildthings" in the eastern US....but, I just bought two Cabela's PL jackets at 29.95 each for hunting and like them a lot, so, research and see what you like.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I work as a professional ski patroller during the winter and just got home from work on a day where it was darned windy and didm't break +10. I'm wearing 3 layers of fleece and had a down vest under a goretex shell. I don't have much experience with primaloft or promaloft/down, but haven't bought it because I don't see it filling a need. I wear fleece under an outer layer when I hunt and carry a down jacket in my pack as a backup. If I'm so cold I need the down it's unlikely that I'm sweating so the down isn't likely to get wet. I'm also a big far of wool but am old enough to be old school without being a hipster. I hunted a couple of days this fall with a buddy who has is an Alaska Master Guide. When he got cold he pulled out a down piece.

YMMV.

Frank

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin

Anybody ever handle one of these?
Cabelas XPG

It doesn't specifically say it's windproof but I suspect it is. I'm not fond of the nylon exteriors because they tend to be a bit noisy.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SNAP
I first used fleece in 1976, have still got a lot of it and like it for some situations.

I have down (very highend) and seven Pl. jackets, my best are original Integral Designs and these are my overall favourites wearing, as I do for 90+% of my activities and have for 50 years, merino layers.

I would keep Pl. over fleece and even down for BC conditions and down in dry cold, the Yukon and some winters here.

My best to date, out of a LOT of gear worn and worn out, is my Westcomb Neoshell Apoc, Montbell or ID jacket and merino underneath. I have never found any synthetic layers that keep me as comfortable, but, I no longer ski-mountaineer and now move quite slowly in the bush.

The BEST gear I now know of IS Westcomb and "Wildthings" in the eastern US....but, I just bought two Cabela's PL jackets at 29.95 each for hunting and like them a lot, so, research and see what you like.

What is "Pl. jacket"?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fshaw
I work as a professional ski patroller during the winter and just got home from work on a day where it was darned windy and didm't break +10. I'm wearing 3 layers of fleece and had a down vest under a goretex shell. I don't have much experience with primaloft or promaloft/down, but haven't bought it because I don't see it filling a need. I wear fleece under an outer layer when I hunt and carry a down jacket in my pack as a backup. If I'm so cold I need the down it's unlikely that I'm sweating so the down isn't likely to get wet. I'm also a big far of wool but am old enough to be old school without being a hipster. I hunted a couple of days this fall with a buddy who has is an Alaska Master Guide. When he got cold he pulled out a down piece.

YMMV.

Frank

Fleece midlayers has been my go-to for about the last 10 years. Fleece is very breathable but not as warm at down/primaloft. The issue is hiking with down encapsulated in nylon doesn't breathe real well and I sweat. Hiking into a spot to sit works great with fleece but it isn't warm enough when temps start to dip in the high country. I haven't played with the newer puffy jackets but think hiking is a fleece mid-layer deal and sitting is a puff jacket under the outer shell deal.

I bought a primaloft packable jacket this weekend with 100 grams primaloft encased in some type of non-nylon fabric. Thinking it might solve both isues. We'll see.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by SNAP

What is "Pl. jacket"?

Primaloft I'd believe.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.