Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I hate math. That's why, if I were offered a round trip ticket to any time travel destination, I'd go back and find that Greek guy Pythagorus and kill him slowly.

yeah, but if you did that, your time machine would vanish, leaving you stuck in ancient Greece, fighting either Spartans or Persians grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You mean the dual springs in Gen 4s? thanks.

My G30 is a Generation 3 30SF and it has dual recoil springs. The G30 was ahead of the curve with dual recoil springs. The G36 has the dual recoil springs as well.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
... Though never ideal--and ultimately in a sense an "abstraction"--i like the idea of "measuring" via the "Taylor KO Formula" for a KO value.

Velocity X Weight X Diameter divided by 7000 = KO value.

Some general comparisons below, based on approximate velocities with commonly used pill weights:

.22 Long Rifle: 1.5 KO value;

.32 ACP: 2.75 KO value;

.380 Auto: 4.7 KO value;

9 MM: 7.0 KO value;

.40 S&W: 10.0 KO value;

.45 ACP: 13.3 KO value;

.44 Magnum: 18.0 KO value;

They are only "numbers", "abstractions", but if we can accept them in this light the results are made manifest, and individual handgunners must decide for themselves.

Sorry, but the KO really is absurd. It arguably doesn't even work for it's intended purpose, but it's intended purpose by Taylor was only to judge the effectiveness of solid rifle bullets on elephant skulls: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/myths.html#tko

I just calculated the KO for a standard softball thrown at 50 mph. It is 384.98. This would make a 50 mph softball 55 times more effective than the 7 KO value of a 9mm. Probably not credible. It gives way to much emphasis on diameter. Because Taylor came up with it, so many people, including gun writers, have latched on to it. But it doesn't even do what Taylor wanted, and Taylor never intended it to have anything to do with hollow-point handgun bullets in self-defense on human targets.

Some of these types of answers can only leave a person to scratch their noggin.

Any "calculation or formula", whether it be foot pounds, Taylor KO, relative incapacitation index, etc., are merely abstractions, simply "yardsticks" used for some means to compare--no matter how absurd or crude they may appear to be.

We're talking here about projectiles--from 40 grains to 240 grains--launched from firearms--traveling at velocities from 900 fps to 1250 fps.

I've heard the softball, snowball, and shot put comparisons all before--and though (foolishly), they can be assigned a Taylor KO number, it's utter foolishness to equate a hand launched softball to a firearm launched projectile.

The proof would be in the pudding: no person who sets forth this argument (or any person for that matter), would go out and hunt black bear, deer, elk, or moose--or, within a city setting--face down a goblin intent on doing bodily harm--with a softball as a projectile of preferred choice. Using comparisons such as these is a thousand times more absurd and crude, than any formula devised by others to try and compare the "stopping abilities" of specific cartridges.

In a perfect world we'd do away with all of these "calculating methods", but until then...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hate math. That's why, if I were offered a round trip ticket to any time travel destination, I'd go back and find that Greek guy Pythagorus and kill him slowly.

I doubt he'd afford you the leverage.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by jwp475

I like the 45 Super because it leave large wound channel and penetrates very well with 230 grain XTPs. The down side is only a 9 round capacity with a 10 round spare magazine loaded with 255 grain flat point hard cast if needed.

...yes, but when you hit someone with the first round there is no need for a second or a reload...

Bob

No firearms trainer of any credibility would utter such a silly statement.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Glocktard

I'd do it on an inclined plane.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by jwp475

I like the 45 Super because it leave large wound channel and penetrates very well with 230 grain XTPs. The down side is only a 9 round capacity with a 10 round spare magazine loaded with 255 grain flat point hard cast if needed.

...yes, but when you hit someone with the first round there is no need for a second or a reload...

Bob

No firearms trainer of any credibility would utter such a silly statement.
No drive by poster with any credibility would have read that and not caught that it was tongue in cheek.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'd do it on an inclined plane.

Nicely stated smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm wondering how many people read your comment, and understood the wry humor in it.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The .45 is, statistically, better at one-shot stops than the .380, .38 SPL, and 9mm. Not sure about the .40 and .327 Fed..

That's the only part of your answer that had anything to do with the question.

True enough.

My point, made rather poorly I guess, was that once you reach a certain level of efficacy there are a lot of other things to be considered rather than just the cartridge. If the #1 rule is "Have a gun", I would amend it to be "Have a gun you can operate".

My Beretta 950B .25ACP stays in the safe. I bought it because it was staring at me through the glass countertop at Ganders, boasting a $149.99 price tag. It was made in 1968 before the thumb safety was added. My wife can load it through the tip-up barrel but cannot operate the slide. It is a fun little gun, a conversation piece, possibly a backup but never a primary weapon due to the cartridge. Even if the Beretta was chambered for a much more effective cartridge, say 9mm or .45, it would be a very close range weapon at best as the sight radius is so short as to make accurate fire difficult.

My wife is an excellent example of why the ability to operate the firearm rather than cartridge should be the primary concern when choosing a defensive firearm. Although a strong woman in her younger years, two shoulder replacements due to leukemia treatments in 2006 have left her unable to operate the slide on any of our semi-auto handguns, which makes them totally worthless to her for self-defense purposes. Even if I were to load the chamber for her, a semi would become nothing more than a club in the event of a misfire or a jam. Her only viable choice for handguns is revolvers. Furthermore osteoporosis is another legacy of her leukemia treatments so recoil is a significant concern - too much could easily break bones in her hands. A Ruger LCR in .357 Mag would probably not be a good thing and a Redhawk in .44 Mag less so. Instead her SP101 is chambered for .327 Fed and her LCR in .38 SPL +P. She shoots reduced recoil loads in both.

I don't imagine for a second that my wife's situation is anything close to unique. Lots of people have problems with slides and getting the practice needed to be proficient with semi-auto manuals of arms. For them a semi is simply not a good choice. Unless one wants to go to moon clips that pretty well eliminates rimless cartridges.

A couple weeks back I purchased a S&W Shield in .40S&W with the intent that it would replace the Walther PPK/s .380 I've carried for the last six years. While I consider the .40S&W to be a superior defensive cartridge, there was a problem - the trigger was such that the PPK/s was far easier to shoot accurately. After extensive trigger work the .40 is now much friendlier in the accuracy department and only now is it suitable for its intended role.

In February of 1993 I purchased a Browning BDM in 9mm. It was and still is a very nice gun, holding 15 in the mag. It had a serious problem, though. The trigger was literally off the scale. Regularly hitting a 5-gallon bucket at 7 yards was beyond the capability of anyone that shot it because of the trigger. I sent the BDM back to Browning, who put it in a ransom rest, shot a small group at 25 yards and sent it back saying there was no problem. I bought a Kimber .45 which replaced the BDM as my defensive gun. Much as I liked the gun otherwise, the BDM was pretty useless until after 2000 when I had the trigger worked on by a gunsmith. Now it shoots very well and is in my car every day when I go to work.

In our home we have handguns ranging from .22 Short to .44 Mag and .45ACP. There is no doubt in my mind that the .44 Mag would be the most reliable fight stopper but the Super Redhawk with its 7.5" barrel is not a particularly good choice for CCW. The .357 Mag has a good reputation but again mine is a Blackhawk and single action to boot - another poor choice for CCW when considering other available options.

After six years of service my Walther .380 PPK/s is being semi-retired, replaced by the S&W Shield .40 S&W which is the same size. My 9mm will remain as the one I carry in my car, choosing high capacity mags and a more forgiving DA/SA action with restrike capability over what I consider a more effective cartridge, the .45 ACP, in my SA Kimber. The Kimber will remain in the safe far more often than not.

If cartridge was the most important factor I'd probably get a double-stack .357 Sig. Or maybe a Widley in .475 Widley Magnum. Or a .50 Desert Eagle. Or a .500 S&W. smile

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/24/15. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bottom line is all handgun rounds are pretty crummy fight stoppers. All calibers have horror stories of angry armed men that just won't go down. The big mags punch through so quickly that much of the energy is expended once its left the body. The other side of the equation, the smaller rounds are so ineffective they have problems on a cross torso shot, and may or may not reach the vitals.

Like a few on this board I carried a weapon as a part of my job, and responded to hundreds if not thousands of gunshot wounds over a 28 year period. The only death ray I found was a full on shot of 00 buckshot at about 10 yards and less. Handguns wounds, regardless of caliber, if the victims were conscious and talking when I got there, they usually lived. As much press as it gets, rifle wounds of any kind were really rare in my city of 250K.

I carried just about all the calibers at sometime during my career, 41 Mag, .357, .38, 45 ACP, 380, 9mm. As I've aged, I've settled on my issue weapon, a G17 with Trijicons, CT laser with a Abbrendo mag extension. This gives me 24 rounds of +P+ 127 grain Talons. I carry one spare mag with another 23 rounds.

I look at the +P+ round to be nothing more than an equivalent of a +P 125 JHP .38 Special. Only I have 47 of them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm wondering how many people read your comment, and understood the wry humor in it.

I drink wry whisky too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Archimedes thought it was quite funny, at least from where he stood.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
... Though never ideal--and ultimately in a sense an "abstraction"--i like the idea of "measuring" via the "Taylor KO Formula" for a KO value.

Velocity X Weight X Diameter divided by 7000 = KO value.

Some general comparisons below, based on approximate velocities with commonly used pill weights:

.22 Long Rifle: 1.5 KO value;

.32 ACP: 2.75 KO value;

.380 Auto: 4.7 KO value;

9 MM: 7.0 KO value;

.40 S&W: 10.0 KO value;

.45 ACP: 13.3 KO value;

.44 Magnum: 18.0 KO value;

They are only "numbers", "abstractions", but if we can accept them in this light the results are made manifest, and individual handgunners must decide for themselves.

Sorry, but the KO really is absurd. It arguably doesn't even work for it's intended purpose, but it's intended purpose by Taylor was only to judge the effectiveness of solid rifle bullets on elephant skulls: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/myths.html#tko

I just calculated the KO for a standard softball thrown at 50 mph. It is 384.98. This would make a 50 mph softball 55 times more effective than the 7 KO value of a 9mm. Probably not credible. It gives way to much emphasis on diameter. Because Taylor came up with it, so many people, including gun writers, have latched on to it. But it doesn't even do what Taylor wanted, and Taylor never intended it to have anything to do with hollow-point handgun bullets in self-defense on human targets.

Some of these types of answers can only leave a person to scratch their noggin.

Any "calculation or formula", whether it be foot pounds, Taylor KO, relative incapacitation index, etc., are merely abstractions, simply "yardsticks" used for some means to compare--no matter how absurd or crude they may appear to be.

We're talking here about projectiles--from 40 grains to 240 grains--launched from firearms--traveling at velocities from 900 fps to 1250 fps.

I've heard the softball, snowball, and shot put comparisons all before--and though (foolishly), they can be assigned a Taylor KO number, it's utter foolishness to equate a hand launched softball to a firearm launched projectile.

The proof would be in the pudding: no person who sets forth this argument (or any person for that matter), would go out and hunt black bear, deer, elk, or moose--or, within a city setting--face down a goblin intent on doing bodily harm--with a softball as a projectile of preferred choice. Using comparisons such as these is a thousand times more absurd and crude, than any formula devised by others to try and compare the "stopping abilities" of specific cartridges.

In a perfect world we'd do away with all of these "calculating methods", but until then...

There is a reasonable debate as to the relationship of the kinetic energy of a bullet and its terminal effect. It obviously depends on bullet construction, the dimensions and construction of the target, etc �

But kinetic energy has been around since � forever. It wasn�t invented. It is a scientific concept. Unlike KO, it was not invented recently. Although it involves two components, rather than one component, it is a scientific concept that that has been around since the universe expanded, and certainly before firearms were invented. It�s just like velocity or mass itself.

KO was, on the contrary, a human invention to try after the fact to justify the effect of larger caliber solid bullets at rifle velocities on a very narrow range of mass/velocity and on a very narrow scope of African targets. It doesn�t even do that well, but it certainly doesn�t have, and never was intended to have, any application to 9mm hollow point rounds.

This guy is skeptical of the correlation between KE and wounding, but he acknowledges the fallacy of comparing it to other made-up formulas:

Originally Posted by Rathcoombe

S]imply because an arbitrary quantity of kinetic energy is not, in and of itself, sufficient to describe the wounding characteristics of our weapons does not imply that kinetic energy is not a valid measure of ballistic performance. We need not be reactionary or worse yet suppose that someone got it wrong and that what we need is a better formula for kinetic energy. This truly novel and disturbing misconception was once highlighted in a feature article, the essence of which was that kinetic energy is simply the arbitrary fabrication of some gun writer, not based on physical laws, and is fundamentally incorrect.

Reading something like this, its as if the cancerous pseudoscience of gun writers has spread to corrupt even the hallowed precepts of true science. I shouldn't make it seem as if the author of this particular article were alone in his assumptions. The history of popular terminal ballistics in the 20th century saw several examples of this kind of crackpot science, such as Elmer Keith's ridiculous invention of "pounds-feet". What is most astounding about particular outrage against science and clear reasoning is that the (long since departed) editors of the magazine didn't know enough themselves to prevent its publication. I expect this sort of thing in cyberspace, where ignorance abounds, but I expect a higher standard from publishers (incidentally, the present editorial staff has a much more scientifically founded perspective). Men like Townsend Whelen knew their basic science and would not have made such errors, nor permitted them to be published in their journal. It troubles me that our knowledge has diminished so much in 70 years.

When gun writers attempt to describe terminal ballistics in terms more technical than "wallop" they take on the mantle of science and bear the responsibility to their readership to convey an accurate discussion of the mechanisms involved. Science does not merely belong to scientists nor only in the realm of the scientific journal. It is truth on a fundamental level. There are no "everyday" meanings to terms such as velocity, momentum, kinetic energy and impulse. They are not slang or jargon used to describe nebulous, ill-defined concepts. They hold precise meanings. To carelessly misuse scientific language is to render a disservice to the readership, even though it be predominately composed of non-technical readers.

Before going any further let me make an apology to the reader. This article and the letter exchange is now ancient history. It was not my intent then nor is it now to pillory anyone. I wrote my own letters to the editor of the magazine at the time in hopes of inspiring a more fastidious editorship in terms of technical matter. I feel justified in rehashing the argument in cyberspace because it represents a viewpoint with which I suspect many reasonably educated shooters would sympathize - and I don't mean my viewpoint! I understand that much of what I am pressing here seems arcane and unimportant to most shooters. But the integrity of such concepts is the fundamental underpinning to all ballistics, the technology on which we depend. Is it necessary for the average shooter to understand all these concepts and be thoroughly conversant? No, it is not. However, when they are discussed, the discussion needs to be scientifically correct.

I guess I expect too much and perhaps I am being too critical, but whether the average Joe understands the ins and outs of physics is not the issue - its the attitude that accredited science is no better than hip-pocket hooey that bothers me. Its the attitude that science is based on opinion, rather than fact. Its the same mentality that has lead to the wholesale disrespect of science in America, and that has allowed a culture to flourish with notions such as New Age mysticism, literalist religious extremism trumping science in the classroom and denial of global warming despite undeniable evidence.

Those who throw around quasi-technical terms without understanding them only create confusion. Velocity is not impulse. It is not like impulse. Kinetic energy is not momentum and velocity "combined". Momentum will not describe "the load with the hardest thump". There is no room in true science for a private opinion about a better definition of energy, and those who ask "Is the ft-lb an accurate KE label?" should not be published.

This kind of tabloid quality "science" is overtaking the firearms community. In the age of bioengineering, quantum electronics and relativistic physics, the firearms community is becoming mired in a level of scientific ignorance comparable to Medieval Europe. The truth is not marketable but crackpot theories about better formulas for kinetic energy warrant feature articles. Falsehood and error need to be corrected. Those of us who care about the quality of the literature and the accuracy of the inquiry into terminal ballistics bear the responsibility to repudiate the nonsense and to authoritatively instruct concerning the facts.

Since this has proved to be a pitfall for some I will unravel the mystery. The definition of energy is based upon physical laws. A ft-lb is a valid unit of kinetic energy - by definition. There is nothing to prove. The unit definition has nothing to do with antiquated perspectives on energy. Kinetic energy is calculated as (1/2) mass times velocity squared. But pounds are actually a unit of force (i.e., weight), which is mass times acceleration (due to gravity in this case). So, to get kinetic energy we must divide by 32.174 ft/s2, which reduces the velocity squared terms of ft2/s2 simply to feet. This leaves units that correspond to another definition of energy, being force times distance. Its really only confusing in the old English system of units because we normally think of pounds as mass rather than as force; in metric its obvious that all forms of energy are the same thing because they are all in Joules or kg-m2/s2.

Just in case somebody doesn't know, foot-pounds are a real quantity and can be converted into BTUs, Joules, kilowatt-hours, calories, ergs, electron-volts or any other measure of energy as you please. All of these resolve down to the same fundamental quantities of mass times distance (divided by time) squared. Not all energy is the same, but all energy has the same fundamental units. Kinetic energy was not invented for the delight of gun writers. The different definitions of energy are based upon inter-related physical laws, none of which have been overturned since God created the universe, let alone in the last century.

Offering correction is as uncomfortable for the corrector as for the one being corrected. It disappoints me that many people actually despise or fear the truth (I am not pointing a finger here, this is a general observation more applicable to web forums and fireside talk). It is a subtle thing, typically taking the form of a resistance to let go of cherished misconceptions and an egoistic tendency that we all share to be knowledgeable. I have been proved wrong many times in my life and while the experience is not always a comfortable one, I am happier for being corrected. Not everyone is made happier by correction.

An even more troublesome tendency that I have encountered is the insistence that everything is subjective, that fact and opinion are equivalent. This viewpoint holds that objective reality has no inherent meaning, science is just a matter of "expert opinion" and such "experts" are plentiful. If, as some have contended, all measured data such as penetration depth and wound diameter (even in game animals) provide us no absolute knowledge, if any degree of uncertainty removes all hope of understanding, then truly we have embraced superstition (or a weird form of agnosticism) and are equally well served by consulting an astrologer about the performance of our weapons.

KE does not necessarily predict the effect on a particular animal of a bullet, because of material issues of bullet construction, the size and construction of the game (a more violently-expanding bullet may do better on a smaller animal (e.g., a human) but when extreme penetration is needed on some giant animal you might want a solid; etc... Also, some of the KE is converted to heat energy, etc ... But energy is an inherent scientific concept. It's just like mass and velocity. KO is just a made up thing.

Again, it has its limitations, but KE says that a 50 mph softball has 1/6 the effect of a 9mm. KO says it has a 55 times the effect of a 9mm. KE is at least a starting point. KO is just silly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Factors that make up the wound channel are; the amount of momentum transfered, the amount of direct applied force, the amount of hydraulic pressure, the frontal area of the projectile for the amount of direct crushed tissue.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My neighbor told me when he used to cop out in LA, a lot of guys carried a G21. He said the 45 hit a lot harder then 9s and 357s, in actual shootings.

Now we never got into what loads they used. He just says that the 45 puts them down faster.

The other day I was talking to a guy I know a little bit. He was sitting in his Dodge Durango. I thought he had those stickers on his door that look like bullet holes (3). I then touched them and realized they were real.

He laughed and said the guy he bought it from used to live in Mexico and there was some story behind it. He said he was told they were bullet holes from a 38 and luckily they only went through the first layer of the door.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by viking
My neighbor told me when he used to cop out in LA, a lot of guys carried a G21. He said the 45 hit a lot harder then 9s and 357s, in actual shootings.

Now we never got into what loads they used. He just says that the 45 puts them down faster.

I agree with this as it it has been my experience shooting game, plus the fact that the bigger slugs give more of a visual indication of a hit. A proper load/bullet choice is key in any cartridge to get the best results.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10Glocks, 1973cb450, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.