Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw a 300 Win Mag today that has a S/N of 560XXX. Both the BBGV and Rule show that S/N as a late 1962 manufacture.

Can that be possible?

Thanks. donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
^^^

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Don't see why not....approx. mid Oct. '62 serial # and the 300 Win. Mag was available after Feb. 1 '63. Winchester had to begin manufacturing before Feb 1....most likely one of the early guns.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
I saw a 300 Win Mag today that has a S/N of 560XXX. Both the BBGV and Rule show that S/N as a late 1962 manufacture.

Can that be possible?

Thanks. donsm70

Yes sir, it is indeed possible. The 300 win mag cartridge made its debut in 1962. Rifles were being made in 1962 and released on or after Feb. 1 1963....Also, since the 300 win mag was being made on the short magnum action, you may even see some receivers stamped before 1962. That's the anomaly when dealing with pre 64 Winchester model 70's...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Can that be possible?

Thanks. donsm70

Yes sir, it is indeed possible. The 300 win mag cartridge made its debut in 1962. Rifles were being made in 1962 and released on or after Feb. 1 1963....Also, since the 300 win mag was being made on the short magnum action, you may even see some receivers stamped before 1962. That's the anomaly when dealing with pre 64 Winchester model 70's...

Exactly...(without consulting Rule but we get BSA so who needs Rule? smile )

But those receivers were available from the time the 458 Win Mag,338, and 264 WM were introduced in the 50's....the 300 Win Mag was the last of the 30/06-length belted mags so those receivers were being made well before the 300 WM was introduced.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Can that be possible?

Thanks. donsm70

Exactly...(without consulting Rule but we get BSA so who needs Rule? smile )

But those receivers were available from the time the 458 Win Mag,338, and 264 WM were introduced in the 50's....the 300 Win Mag was the last of the 30/06-length belted mags so those receivers were being made well before the 300 WM was introduced.

Exactamundo. I also need to add that they were stamped ".458". So if you guys get any of these rifles chambered in the typical 30-06 length belted magnums and they have this stamp on the bottom of the recoil lug. Don't panic. They are supposed to be stamped that way. They were probably not originally a 458 mag. Just a FYI...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just the guys I was hoping to hear from and thank you very much for the replies.

I may just get me another one.

donsm70

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Date of the production of the rifle does not always coincide with the date of manufacture of the receiver,as indicated by the serial number.....generally it does but not always...that's part of the wildcard aspect of buying pre 64's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just the guys I was hoping to hear from and thank you very much for the replies.

I may just get me another one.

donsm70

Oh man. You already have one of the nicest ones around!!! Or was that your like new 300 H&H?? laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Date of the production of the rifle does not always coincide with the date of manufacture of the receiver,as indicated by the serial number.....generally it does but not always...that's part of the wildcard aspect of buying pre 64's.

Exactly Bob.. Rule warns of this exact scenario. This is most prevalent in the short magnum actions. Like you said, stamped receivers were originally held back for production of the 458 win mag that made its debut in 1956...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not model 70 expert, but I'm pretty sure Winchester only used one action length. The .300 WM would use same action as I have seen on old .264WM which was standard .30-06/.270 length w/o rear bridge cutout seen in .300H&H/.375H&H rifles. The only action mismatch existed in Winchester 21 lineup where receivers were forged well before rest of the gun was produced. I suspect there were some Model 70s made in 1940s with pre-WWII receivers and post war components because production was suspended to make war time clunkers for the military like the .30 cal carbine. If you find some anomalies in .300WM gun it will most likely be parts bin gun made to fool some buyer into thinking it was factory original. Remember rare and factory original Model 70 means big bucks just like 28ga Model 12 therefore there is plenty of incentive there to use "spare parts".

Obviously CRF Winchester made well after 1964 (I think production started in early 90s ) can be had with short action.

Last edited by Slavek; 01/24/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don, is it going to be as nice as your 300 H&H? I drool over this one of yours:

I had several members refer me to Perry County Fireams in Central PA, and I gave them a call. They actually had several to pick from and I chose a 1955 with a raised comb and in 95 to 97% condition.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

donsm70

That sure is a clean 300 H&H..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
I'm not model 70 expert, but I'm pretty sure Winchester only used one action length. The .300 WM would use same action as I have seen on old .264WM which was standard .30-06/.270 length w/o rear bridge cutout seen in .300H&H/.375H&H rifles. The only action mismatch existed in Winchester 21 lineup where receivers were forged well before rest of the gun was produced. I suspect there were some Model 70s made in 1940s with pre-WWII receivers and post war components because production was suspended to make war time clunkers for the military like the .30 cal carbine. If you find some anomalies in .300WM gun it will most likely be parts bin gun made to fool some buyer into thinking it was factory original. Remember rare and factory original Model 70 means big bucks just like 28ga Model 12 therefore there is plenty of incentive there to use "spare parts".

Obviously CRF Winchester made well after 1964 (I think production started in early 90s ) can be had with short action.

Slavek, why don't you pull up a chair and learn something. Do you have "The rifleman's rifle" book written by Roger C. Rule? I'd suggest buying it and after you are done reading it, come back and ask a few more questions.. Thanks..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Slavek, Winchester made 2 action lengths in the pre 64.

standard (long) action and H&H action.

All cartridges that are NOW assembled in a short action ( .308, .243 etc) that were available back then, were built using the standard action, and they had different magazines, bolt stops, ejectors, in any number of configurations to meet the cartridge specs.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Slavek, Winchester made 2 action lengths in the pre 64.

standard (long) action and H&H action.

All cartridges that are NOW assembled in a short action ( .308, .243 etc) that were available back then, were built using the standard action, and they had different magazines, bolt stops, ejectors, in any number of configurations to meet the cartridge specs.

Exactly.. However, the H&H was the same length action, just opened up a bit.. wink. As seen here (below):

[Linked Image]

VS. the standard and short magnum action:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
donsm70 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don, is it going to be as nice as your 300 H&H? I drool over this one of yours:

I had several members refer me to Perry County Fireams in Central PA, and I gave them a call. They actually had several to pick from and I chose a 1955 with a raised comb and in 95 to 97% condition.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

donsm70

That sure is a clean 300 H&H..

You've got a good memory BSA. The 300 Win Mag is every bit as nice, or better than the 300 H&H. If I get this one, I will only need the 458 Win Mag to complete my Pre-64 Winchester Magnum collection.

donsm70

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool Don. Can't wait to see your new rifle if you end up getting it..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a .300 H&H just like that one, the last of the four I have owned over some 26 years, have also had three original .375s and three salvaged H&H cut actions.

There was ONE length of action and they were milled to function with different rounds from the Hornet to the .458WM.

The .338WM Alaskans were the best of the bunch, I have never seen a .300WM, of quite a few, that I wanted to own and I could have afforded one during my "P-64 years".

I am finished with these and hope to sell most of mine this year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Too bad you live in BC. There would be a lot of interest for some of your rifles..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I KNOW, it is a REAL PITA as I have not been able to ship small Brno parts to good guys in the US and I am very good at finding such rare items here.

I am SO frustrated with BOTH US and Canadian sporting gun laws, but, I expect it to get worse....... frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.