Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
just bought a ruger american in a 223 to use as a truck gun and farm tool. looking for a 4-12x40 scope. Got some cabela's gift card and points equaling about $250.

both are in my price range for my new beater / tool gun.

which is better for the intended purpose.

thanks

FJB
GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
At your price point I would probably take a serious look at the Redfield as well. Leupold warranty/service and looks to be a couple of oz lighter than the corresponding Nikon.

Last edited by JSH; 01/25/15. Reason: Incorrect Info
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JSH
At your price point I would probably take a serious look at the Redfield as well. Leupold warranty/service and looks to be a couple of oz lighter than the corresponding Nikon.

+1 This or VX-1 from Cabelas(don't think they carry the Weaver Classic).

Last edited by CowboyTim; 01/25/15.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockchucker
just bought a ruger american in a 223 to use as a truck gun and farm tool. looking for a 4-12x40 scope. Got some cabela's gift card and points equaling about $250.

both are in my price range for my new beater / tool gun.

which is better for the intended purpose.

thanks

Vortex takes a beating here but I have a Crossfire 11 and it holds zero without fail and is every bit as clear as my Leupolds. My only criticism with them is at higher magnifications.My 2-7 is very clean and crisp all the way through the variable spectrum and of course their warranty is beyond reproach.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are wanting to try the Vortex, it looks like you can get into the Diamondback line for very little more than the Crossfire. I don't have personal experience with Vortex but online reviews heavily favor the Diamondback and it is made in the Philippines vs China if that matters to you.
My experience with Nikon was with the Monarch and Buckmaster lines which worked well but are not in your price point. Frankly, once I get above $200 I just look for a Leupold, even if I have to save a bit longer.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
well i guess the redfield is on the list now.

anybody running the 4x12 with the accu reticle?

FJB
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
With a $200 budget it would be VX-1 from Leupold. The Redfield is a good scope too, but at about the same price the Leupold is a bit better. Especially on new scopes. When the Redfield was introduced it was somewhere between VX-1 and VX-2. The newer VX-1's are dramatically better and comparable to an older VX-2.

The Vortex and Nikon scopes I've used were clear and sharp. As far as I can tell they were durable and reliable as well. But other features such as excessive weight, short eye relief and tunnel vision turned me away from them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It doesn't look like a VX-1 4-12 is going to make his budget, at least not from Cabelas. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vortex Diamondback. Clearer than my VXII's and prostaff 5. Better field of view to boot. Paid $220 at BassPro, should be similar through Cabelas. Good luck.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
ok im down to the diamond back and the redfield both in 4-12. ive had the redfield before with no complaints. how does the diamond back stack up?

FJB
IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had the redfield revenge, sold it. Got the their tac 22, nice but not at 2x the edges are blurry. I Will not go to Redfield again. Had Diamondback, sold it but it's not a bad scope. Ended up with Nikon Monarch because I wanted 2-10. I think The prostaffs are the best cheaper/entry scopes out there. I have 3 of them and liked them over entry redfield and vortex.
Also Nikon's warranty isn't bad as I thought.

Last edited by Dre; 01/26/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the 2 choices you listed I would definitely go with the Nikon. If you can throw a little bit extra go for the vx-1 like the other guys said.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I work the gun counter at a Cabela's in Texas. We sell a lot of Vortex. Crossfires are made in China, the rest are made in the Philippines or Japan. I think the Vipers are good scopes but I'm not impressed with Diamondbacks or Crossfires. I've also found there are many people that see better out of Nikon than Leupold and the reverse is also true. I don't see well out of Nikons but do see well out of Leupold. One line that gets overlooked is the Fullfield II. For my eyes they are much better than Prostaff, Crossfire and Diamondback, especially in low light. The 3-9x40 Fullfield II is regular priced at $199.99 at Cabela's. People are usually surprised when I pull out a Fullfield II to compare with the lower end Nikons and Vortex.

Vortex seems to appeal to a younger crowd as a rule. Our younger outfitters push Vortex the most. They tout the warranty as being the best in the business, even after it is explained to them that Vortex just copied Leupold's Warranty. I'm not knocking Vortex. I have two of the original Viper line that were purchased from Sirs Doug and Neil in Gotham city and think they are excellent scopes. I mount a lot of 6-18 Crossfires on rifles that younger people purchase even after I explain that better glass triumphs magnification and a 3-9 would serve them better. These scopes are mounted on rifles used for deer and hog hunting where the absolute maximum shot would be 300 yards for most people and the vast majority of shots are under 100 yards. There were some funny looks and snide remarks made when a VX3 1.75-6x32 came that I ordered from the custom shop with a German #4 reticle installed. They still didn't get it when I explained the scope would be mounted on a Marlin 336, used exclusively for hogs and the reticle is about the best there is for low light shooting. Goes to show you the power of advertising advocating magnification to the exclusion of all else.

Last edited by cdb; 01/29/15.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Take it for what you think it is worth... but on our Christmas Youth Project in Memorial to Mickey Coleman, Vortex donated TWO of the 2 x 7 Crossfire Scopes with the BDC reticle...

Made the request and got them ASAP...I inspected one when I received them, and I have to admit I was pretty darn impressed with it...I know it is one of their lower end scopes, but it looked to be up to any job I'd want of it.

Two parents requested lower power scopes for their kids, than the 3 x 9s we had offered elsewhere...

While you will never go wrong with a Leupold, and I own them, Nikons and a few others, my next several scope purchases will be from Vortex...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience with Vortex is...one really needs to look through the individual scope before purchasing. I have a Diamondback 1.75-5x32 that I am happy with. I looked through a 2-7x35 Diamondback at Gander Mtn that you couldn't pay me to use.

I've owned the 2-7x32 Viper that I couldn't learn to love no matter how I tried. I have a Skyline spotting scope that I'm happy with.

For your price point I'd check out the Weaver Classics also. I think they're a very underrated scope for the money. I have a K6 that I'm really happy with and it holds up well at dusk with more expensive scopes.

Dan

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Let me chime in here. I sent in a M8-4X Leupold that was 40 years old I have mounted on a 99 Savage for a truck gun. Leupold went completely through it, resealed it etc. the works. Didn't even charge me return shipping. Nuf said.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
looked through the 4x12 redfield, diamondback, and prostaff.

prostaff was to long

diamondback not enough eye relief and the glass wasnt sharp

redfield was to my liking.

as my luck would have it, they were sold out of redfields and i needed a scope that day.

ended up with a cabelas outfitter series scope 4-12x44. has a side focus, sharp glass and plenty of eye relief.

it was $30 over budget but im happy with it.

FJB
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Outfitter series I think are too often times overlooked. Really decent scopes for the $$.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Anything BUT Vortex. I've had a Viper, Viper HS & HS-T. I think Vortex glass sux compared to Nikon & Leupold.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.