24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm late in posting this... but here goes.
Even before she was born, my wife told me that our first child was going to be a hunter. Her reasoning: When the baby was kicking around inside her, I would read aloud from a reloading manual, hunting magazine, or hunting novel. According to my wife this literature settled the unborn child down better than any of the children's books she would read aloud.... Who am to argue with that logic?
Ten years later, after logging countless hours wandering the hills with me, shooting her 22, observing (and even assisting) in field dressing an elk, she completed her hunter's safety course and would be eligible to apply for a junior's tag in AZ.
Elk and deer were both a no-go. She didn't draw a tag. We were lucky enough, however, to purchase a left over Javelina tag for a unit close to home.
For three days, we spent a lot of time glassing, talking, napping in what was perfect weather to be outdoors. On the fourth morning, we found a herd of pigs and were lucky enough to have a small boar stand broadside at about 80 yards for enough time for me to watch her pull up the rifle, comment that she couldn't see anything through the scope, realize that the cap was still on, flip it up, and fire. The pig turned around about four times and ran down into the wash, I told her that she must have hit it. I was surprised that it didn't drop after spinning. We found blood at the bottom of the hill. followed for about 100 yards and found the pig in some catclaw. She was able to put the finishing shot on it. When I retrieved it for her, she was all smiles. In her words, it was the best day ever....

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for sharing, what a great smile. Is that wood underneath that pink paint?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yes, that is a heavily modified remington ADL wood stock. I cut it to 11" LOP, lopped 3" off the foreend, slimmed everything down and built out the pistol grip to accommodate her little hand. Painted it to match the Cerakote on the metal.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
Yes, that is a heavily modified remington ADL wood stock. I cut it to 11" LOP, lopped 3" off the foreend, slimmed everything down and built out the pistol grip to accommodate her little hand. Painted it to match the Cerakote on the metal.

Turned out really good. I was just asking, because I think you got that stock from me.

Congrats again to you and your daughter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
bigswede

Did we trade my LA stock for your SA stock? My memory is not near as good as that of my wife!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Yes, I think so. I'm in the same boat memory wise. Plus, I had dealings with so many good people on here hard to keep you all straight.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That smile says it all! Congratulations to both of you and best wishes for many more memorable hunts together!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Congratulations to the little Huntress and thank you Dad for taking the time to introduce your daughter to the great outdoors and hunting.

BTW what caliber is her rifle?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the compliments. She has another Javelina hunt this weekend and is reminding me to make sure her application is in for a youth elk hunt next fall. Yep, she's hooked.
Se is currently shooting a .243, however I just acquired a lefty 7-08 that will soon be her go to rifle. (She is a lefty)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is awesome congrats

Lifetime Christian

NRA Lifetime Member

Had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Your 9mm should expand but my 45 wont shrink.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a frustrated javelina hunter. Does she hire out as a guide??? laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What cartridge is she shooting?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,804 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.