Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just depends on the rod location etc.

Smallest I had was the OO weight, largest is a 12wt Single Hand or 14ft 9wt Spey.

Western Rivers I am normally nymphing with a 9'6" Sage One, Dries is a 9ft 5wt Sage XP, Smaller Dries 9ft 4wt, Streamers 9' 7wt Helios or 9'6" Sage Method, Nymphing for Chrome is a Sage 99 9'9" 8wt.

All around I like a 9' 6wt. Its a little big for small rivers but if you were to get one I would do that. Its a good rod for the MO, Clark Fork etc. If you want a dry rod got 9ft 5wt. I just think a 5wt gets it done good enough nymphing.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As Sierra mentions - it depends on where and how I want to utilize the tool.

I have several 3, 5 and 7 weight rods ( TFO's mostly ). I like to fish close and smaller waters when possible. The upper Deschutes and Rogue are fav's.

I prefer to nymph and dry fly with the 3 weight mostly - the 5's are my all around guns and the 7's are used on bigger waters and slinging heavy tandem nymph set ups or salmon flies.

I don't go in for long rods - I can fish from my boat on the Rogue and position as needed - the smaller stream just don't warrant them.

Unfortunately, I have a bum shoulder and the 7's beat me up rather quickly, and they don't get a lot of use these days....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
This a a good thread.

I live in northern California and fish: Klamath and Trinity rivers for steelhead n salmon, the creeks for native trout, high country lakes and creeks for trout, native rainbows, some cutts as well planted brookies.
For steelhead a 8' fenwick 6weight, 9' sage 6wt, 9.5' StCroix 7wt, 8'9" Sage 3wt
for trout in creeks, 7' StCroix 2/3wt, 8.5' reddington 4wt, 11' TFO Tenkara rod.
for the high country lakes, all of the above haha.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bigger water with larger flies...10 ft. for 7 weight
Bigger water smaller flies...9 1/2 ft or 9' 3" for 5 weight

This is what has worked best for me on the South and Henry's Fork of the Snake in Idaho and the Madison in Montana.

The long 7 weight is also my normal rod in the SoCal surf zone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just depends on the quarry and size of the water. Anything from a 7 ft 2wt to a 16 ft 10wt. I do like enough spine to land things quickly and expedite release.

1Minute
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I mostly fish for trout in smaller to mid-size mountain streams here in the east. I mostly use a 7'9" 3 wt but occasionally move up to a 8' 4 wt & 8'6" 5 wt. All these rods are older Sage Light Lines.

I have bigger rods for larger rivers and steelheading but sadly enough do not get to those places often. Those rods are Winstons in 9' 8 wts. I have also used these rods for stripers on the coast of Maine.

I bought a used 9' 6 wt Sage XP off a good friend recently and am excited to try for smallies on the Susquehanna and Allegheny soon.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PastorDan

This is what has worked best for me on the South and Henry's Fork of the Snake in Idaho and the Madison in Montana.

exactly what I was looking for as a gift. Thanks!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For general fishing when I might switch from midges to streamers in one outing, I like my 50 year old Orvis split cane 8ft./5wt. with a double taper line. On the Pennsylvania limestone creeks where I fish mostly, more often than not I reach for a custom graphite 7ft./3wt. with a double taper floating line since size 20 and smaller dry flies are my game there. Sometimes when I'm feeling frisky I grab a 7ft./2wt. loaded with an English double taper silk line. Such rigs keep the effective range a little shorter than if I worked with a forward taper line, but I seek delicacy of presentation more so than distance. Leader/tippet length, line weight, rod dynamics become a little more critical when dropping a size 26 Griffith's Gnat in front of a rising Brown.

I tried the long light rods back when I thought the extra reach would serve me better for "dapping" on small tight streams. I found the tradeoff to be a handicap, but that's just me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think, in general, the 5wt is the most popular and possibly the most versatile for freshwater fishing. With that said, my favorite rod for Southeastern trout is my TFO BVK 3wt. I bought it in 8 ft with the 10 ft conversion kit. I LOVE THIS ROD. I can tight line with it or fish it traditionally equally well. It handles larger fish well but has light enough action that a 6" fish is still fun to catch. It's like having two nice rods for $300.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by PastorDan

exactly what I was looking for as a gift. Thanks!!

My 9' 3" is a late 70's vintage Orvis Spring Creek with a wonderful full-flex action. The 9 1/2' is on a Loomis blank my dad built for me.

The Spring Creek rod comes up on eBay with some regularity and can be had very reasonably as it isn't the ultra-fast action so many people want these days.

Last edited by PastorDan; 01/25/15.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like a short 4wt for panfish like sunfish and crappie. I have a 5wt I use in the smokies for trout and tailrace fishing below the damns. I have a 6wt that I never use, my 5 serves me well for trout and the 6 isn't enuff for the bass bugs I want to throw so a 8wt is in my near future. Plus I can fish strippers with the 8wt.

If I had to choose 1 for trout and panfisit would be a 4wt. for bass and strippers a 8wt.

You can take that with a grain of rice since I'm probably the least experienced on the thread. But it works for me.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a 4wt for almost all of my trout fishing in the lower 48. A 9ft 4wt is a perfect nymphing or dry fly rod for most water. I prefer a 6wt for streamer fishing for trout. The rod flex matters on the 4wt. Too stiff and it is not much for roll casting and dry fly presentation. Too soft and you cannot turn over split shot and indicators as easily. A 7 wt is best for AK larger rivers. A saltwater 6wt with a small butt and some flex would be the ultimate for big rainbows in most other streams. I have fished a 4 and 5 on Bristol Bay streams and they were a pain fighting the fish. Was not enough backbone to turn big fish in the current. This is experience from 10+ years ago. I understand that there is now a big contingent of folks in AK that fish Spey rods on big rivers like the Naknek and Big Ku. I ran into a bunch of Naknek guides who were Spey fishing for Roosterfish in Mexico. Go figure.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I picked up a dandy little 5'9" bamboo rod this weekend- a Constable "Dart", for 4WF or 5DT. I was a little leery, liking short-ish rods but not necessarily something that short, or English made. What an eye opener. That delicate looking super light rod has the moxie to lay out a nice long cast and the sensitivity to manipulate delicate presentations. No fish landed with it yet but it feels like it has enough backbone to be competitive with others in its class.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I used a Leonard 6-footer for many years for brushy small-stream fishing. it was rated for a 4-weight DT line but I often used a 5WF, which cast better when only 10 feet of flyline was a long cast.

Have rods from 3-weight to 10-weight and find uses for all of them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Asking what fly rod to use out west is like asking what rifle should I use out west. The answer is "well it depends".

I own 3wts thru 11wts with multiple lengths and multiple actions for many of them, and all of them get used for different conditions.

Now I have taken a few trips out west to fish and my next trip I will only take two rods assuming trout will be the target, an 8'-6" 4wt and a 9'-0" 6wt. From my experience I can fish most streams with that combination. Now if it is streamer time on the Madison River when I go I will add a 9'-0" 7wt to the mix.

A 4wt will do most things needed on a trout stream and that is why you see it recommended by so many. The 4wt will handle the tailwaters, spring creeks and freestones with small size 8 streamers to size 24 midge patterns. Hopper season is where the 6wt shines.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
On hunts out west and Alaska,not knowing what to expect if I got to fly fish at all, I threw a pair of Sage pack rods into the duffle;a 5 and a 7 weight.

They worked well in SE Alaska and in Colorado, Wyoming and New Mexico so I guess they covered the bases. Traveling you can only bring so much stuff

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like 5 wt rods w/ 6 wt lines - really makes them cast. I always fish sinking lines and get down there where the fish are.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have fly rods from 6' to 9.5', 3wt to 10w, what I use depends on the water, the wind, the size flies, the type and size of fish. My most used rod is a Sage 9' 4 pc 6wt.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PASTOR DAN my old friend Bill Gunn loves the Orvis 9'3" Western Spring Creek 4 wt! He was telling me last week how many 20" browns he hooked and landed on 6 x in PA! I have one myself he and I both agree that rods today are way to stiff to make for good fishing tools. I am surprise that they even come up for sale, Bill is looking for one for his wife- I will not sell him mine even thou I don't fish with It as much as I should! Only rod I ever made a 70 foot cast with and hooked and landed a trout with the fly barely drifting a foot or two! Back then I had a WF4F Orvis line with the old braided butt leaders you glued to the end of the line- before the loop to loop business! Got to be 35+ years ago!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

Shrapnel,
Is that an Abel reel? I have a TR-2 that broke the rosewood cap of the nut and looked just like yours in the picture. I called Abel to buy a new cap and they said to send it to them and they'd install it so I did. It took a while but it came back cleaned and lubed with a new cap. Great product support.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.