Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bucktales
Ain't looking forward to this one.

Keep safe pard!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would not want to be there during a blizzard that big.

2-3' of snow now possible?

Frick that, uber-chitstorm if it materializes.

Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Keith!
Not only is the problem of getting to and from work, but working in that junk.
Hope nothing comes down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I would not want to be there during a blizzard that big.

2-3' of snow now possible?

Frick that, uber-chitstorm if it materializes.

Good luck.

40 inches in one shot in '13.
That uber-sucked!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup Sam.... they are now saying 1-2 inches an hour. No way they can keep up with that in such densely populated areas as the NE. A true consternation.

You would not believe the junk people are buying. One would think it's the last supper.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of looking forward to it. Have all the stuff we need here and I have maybe 4 hours of work I can do at home (and 230 hours of leave if it gets real bad grin ) Have gas for the snowblower and thawed a moose roast to cook and carrots and potatoes to go with it.

I did a bunch go reorganizing in my workshop and have a few little things to do before I start the next woodworking project. Surprising all the stuff you find when you reorganize. I found a Bianchi 1911 holster that I thought was long gone as well as some Speer 6mm and .44 bullets in the old yellow box.

I have a goose hunt on the 29th and two days of snow before that bodes well for that trip.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Damn, it was 65� and sunny here in Portland. And it's supposed to be BETTER tomorrow!!!

I turned on Fox news and saw that NYC was forecast to have something like three-feet of snow.

I went to NYU for a spell; got another degree I didn't need from there. I cannot imagine the city folks muddling around in three-friggin'-feet of snow. Damn.

The good ol'boys from upstate ... Peekskill, Cortland and such ... no problem. The city folks? That's going to be interesting.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A good supply of warm enough clothes for everybody in case you have to go outside for a spell would also be a consideration.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Redundancy helps...backup cooking and heating systems, generators wired in, whiskey stored, freezers full, lots of propane for the grills.... we be good!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I hope those global warming libs in the NE get 8 feet.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heavy snows are different because they are confining. The first things lots of folk run out of in most man-made or natural disasters is cash - folding money and especially change.

If the power or internet lines are out there will be little use for plastic. Stores and gas stations will be cash only and rounded to the highest dollar - sometimes highest $5 or $10. Soda and vending machines work on emergency power (and the rare mechanical type) but you need change.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, I've been storm prepped since Y2K. grin

Hope for the best to you northeast folks.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper
... I turned on Fox news and saw that NYC was forecast to have something like three-feet of snow.

I went to NYU for a spell; got another degree I didn't need from there. I cannot imagine the city folks muddling around in three-friggin'-feet of snow. Damn. ...
Steve

Looks like all the muggers will be out on skis, huh. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
Heavy snows are different because they are confining. The first things lots of folk run out of in most man-made or natural disasters is cash - folding money and especially change.

If the power or internet lines are out there will be little use for plastic. Stores and gas stations will be cash only and rounded to the highest dollar - sometimes highest $5 or $10. Soda and vending machines work on emergency power (and the rare mechanical type) but you need change.

Well, the media is lovin' this. I expect the local news crews to be circle jerking any minute.

Good point JOG - although the last time we lost power for a few days,(I believe it was Hurricane Sandy) NOTHING operated. No gas, no food, no nuttin'. Every POS was shut down and could not even handle a cash transaction.

- Rogue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just 'shelter in place', near the wood stove. One does have a wood stove and an ample supply of firewood, right?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Snow? What is this 'snow' that y'all are discussing? laugh
It's what us northern folks call "winter", not the panzy azzed stuff you tofu eatin', quiche makin' southern boys experience......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to think we're in pretty good shape. Always adding to the kit, and rotating out dates on food. We accumulate our stuff slowly over time. Every time we buy a big pack of toilet paper or paper towels, one roll of each gets set aside. My wife does the gluten free thing, so we're always looking for GF food to put away for her needs. I keep buying food grade buckets as needed. We put aside a portable toilet a while back and have enough chemicals and bags to go for about a month if we need to. Several different cook stoves, propane, a spare chainsaw, plenty of ammo for the weapons. We're in pretty good shape compared to most I suppose, but I'm alway looking to upgrade.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gophergunner
It's what us northern folks call "winter", not the panzy azzed stuff you tofu eatin', quiche makin' southern boys experience......

laugh laugh

- Rogue
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Snow? What is this 'snow' that y'all are discussing? laugh
LMAO..

Yeah - like this:

[Linked Image]

Note the poor dude tryin' to blow out his driveway - all ya can see is the top of his hat (just to the left of the flag), and I'm in the truck sittin' up higher than if I was standing on the street..

Only thing I'd add to the first poster is that 5 days worth of fuel might not be anywhere near enough for this storm. I'd be sorely tempted to triple that, if I were he...

FWIW..

And what a difference one year makes.. This year we have maybe 3" on the ground, tops, and temps today supposed to reach 40F... You guys in NYC getting that kind of snow will be a nightmare.. Hope y'all stay safe..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

"Only thing I'd add to the first poster is that 5 days worth of fuel might not be anywhere near enough for this storm. I'd be sorely tempted to triple that, if I were he.."

Red - 5 days if I run the genny non stop. If I use it intermittently, I should get 2-3 times that.

- Rogue
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.