Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got this a month ago and since the holidays been working on it to clean it up.

I gently removed the old finish on the wood, what was left of it anyway.

It started out looking like this.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I removed the finish with a cabinet scraper and Formby's refinisher. The checkering was not too bad and I used a stiff nylon brush to clean it out.

While I had it apart I pillar bedded it and glass bedded the action. I have shots of this but they didn't come out too good, I need to learn to use the macro settings. BSA's tutorial was great, the tip about having Q-tips on hand and paste wax was a lifesaver. Thanks BSA! Along with that, pre6422hornet sent me some pictures and advice on the pillar bedding. It sure helped the anxiety and all came out great.Thanks!

Once done with the messy part I applied 2 coats of Teak Oil, let it harden for a few days and now have 4 coats of Tung Oil over all of this. I've used this method on a few flintlocks I've built and been real please with the results and the performance. not to mention it can be touched up if need be.

Here is the stock after stripping and before any finish was applied.
[Linked Image]

I mounted a Leupold VXII 2.5-8 in Talley Lightweight mounts. Here it is finished and ready for the range.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/bufflerrazz/Model%2070/P1010262_zps9yq6fbkf.jpg[/img]

Next up is a trip to the range to wring out some loads and she how it performs. Again, thanks to pre6422hornet and BSA!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wow, great job bringing a classy rifle back to life, now to shoot and enjoy...thanks for the post.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome Razz. Looks great. You got one heck of a good deal on that one and made it that much nicer with that refinish job. The Alaskan is one of those rifles that I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for. I like the whole package, even the talley lightweights. Lookin good brother....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oooooo. I like the way it turned out.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice, I did my first of the five Alaskans I have had a few years ago, it has the nicest wood of any P-64-70 and one of the smoothest actions.

It was unfired when I bought it and after use for almost 40 years, the web ahead of the trigger mortise cracked, as so many do. So, I had to bed it and then decided to do the stock.

I used many, many coats of Dem-Bart oil and wax over several months and it came out very nicely. But, I wanted to cut weight and so put a Micky on it.

Most of these I have seen here show hard use, BUT, they STILL are among THE BEST rifle/cartridge rigs for BC uses, IMHO.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That turned out real nice!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice job Razz.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Nice! Love to see transitions. Has anyone ever tried Howards Feed N Wax? My personal favorite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job. You brought some life back into that stock!!

Eric

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BINGO Razz ! That is a good looking rig!Good job! Mr Green, Im a big Howards Feed & Wax fan! All my wood winchesters get it! very best WinPoor

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Oh man Razz, that is a new rifle now!

Great JOb! I just received some new cabinet scrapers Saturday. So much better than sandpaper IMO.

That rifle looks great.

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all! Sounds like I need to pick up some Howard's Feed & Wax.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have to say, it looks better and it's more sealed up now. Win win situation. These Alaskan's were used and hunted just like the 375's. I've never ran across a 375 that didn't look like it had been drug thru the brush a bit. These 338's are the same way. Guys that bought them, bought them to really use. The Alaskan bush and general elk hunting is not real easy on rifles.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
These Alaskan's were used and hunted just like the 375's. I've never ran across a 375 that didn't look like it had been drug thru the brush a bit.

Not ALL of those 375's... hehehe Here is mine. 1950.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful rifle, but I see a scratch on the barrel and the bluing on the bolt handle is pretty thin looking from this angle. It's obviously been used. My 375 is damn near as nice and it's been used..:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I make certain it gets used... laugh wink
[Linked Image]

I hate to change the OP's subject, but since we are talking nice 375's, someone needs to buy destertmuledeer's 375. That thing looks damn near new...!!!

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
So has mine, although mine only wears a Lyman 48, but she still turns in 1.5 groups at 100.

And no the bolt handle blue isn't thinning, just the light and such. But that is okay. I didn't post pics to have people pick it apart. But if that makes you feel better than so be it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One day bsa ol Larry root be posting pictures up of your rifles claiming they are his... Good looking rifle mine in classic stainless shoots 270gr speers pretty darn good... I'm lacking a 338 win mag might save up my tax free cash and buy me one these pre-64 in a 338 win mag.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job Razz - looks great.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful work on your 338 Razz. Seriously looks perfect.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awfully nice job on the cleanup.

I have a LH 70 in .338 that I bought used but haven't even seen yet while I've been in Japan. Mine is stainless, though. I will save your post in case I need it as a reference. Thanks.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

226 members (338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 416RigbyHunter, 264mag, 34 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,455
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.