Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve692
I am in agreement. Elk is an entirely different subject.

We wouldn't agree there either. *wink*

(Big bore fan!!)

God Bless and thanks again!

OK Steve end of conversation. We are talking apples and oranges. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
WRT the sometimes heated discussions that happen here, just relax, sit back and watch the fun. The entertainment you get is cheaper than pay per view.

A bowel of pop corn really helps. laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No clue myself George. Today is the first I have seen it.

God Bless

Last edited by Steve692; 01/25/15.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
doubletap,

Yeah, if you're not determined to shoot beyond 500, the old-time solutions still work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No clue, myself George. Today is the first I have seen it.

God Bless

Was addressed to Steve Redgwell. smile

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry......missed his first name was same as mine. blush

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I remember hearing about this Steve. Wasn't it found on a parchment in one of the caves of Morduur -- the Revelation to Tikka.

It surely was. An obscure work by an unknown person, entitled Caminus Periculum - Dangerous Forge.

This document also contained advice on the stock market - when a stock market was a place for trading animals. One particularly telling entry was about cattle being struck with open sores in the spring of the year. "Beware the hides of March..." or words to that effect. It has been years since my studies.

Ave! (pronounced ah-VEY!)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah...........there is probably 37 other threads on the same subject. Not much "new" out there we can hash over but every one I've read on the subject of "what a bullet is SUPPOSED to do".......no one agrees on squat. Ya'll ever realize how danged confusing this makes it for anyone picking a bullet?

100 percent of us will agree on one thing >>>>> Bullet PLACEMENT is king. Yup. I agree too.

The rest of it? I think we "over think" it for everything but stuff that may jump up and bite us or perhaps trample us into broken pieces while running away.

Some bullets have a great following and they rant on how they retain "9999.99 percent bullet weight recovery" (an exaggeration.)

Those using another bullet type (or maybe 2) rant how their bullet "goes in 2-3 inches and comes apart doing maximum damage".

Another bullet type has as many followers who quote that their bullets "loses xy percent of it's weight but the rest stays together and passes through". Allegedly a combination of bullet 1 and bullet 2.

Then we have the crew that insists the bullets with .02 higher BC shoot so flat that they can put the bullet "exactly where they want it" (right) when they "gain" that .7 inches of trajectory.

I actually saw a post recently where the long time member of that WELL known site said "he didn't care what the bullet DID as long as he could put it right where he wanted"(he thinks) and another 1/4 MOA of accuracy was ALL that counted.

For the time being lets totally IGNORE the medium speed heavy bullet vs the super rocket light bullet never ending debate.

Ya'll give me a humongous headache. crazy Every one of these bullets is the best thing since sliced bread!! Just ask those who use them!

For DEER sized, aka medium class animals, SINCE we all agree on bullet placement being the MANDATORY criteria to be met for DRT kills..........are we just beating a dead horse er uh deer?

I CONTINUALLY read rants over "bullet failure" with photos shown of bullet pieces/parts taken from some deceased critter (that more often than not "didn't go far"). Uh hello? I've never seen a photo of a bullet that FAILED because live deer won't hold still long enough to let one dig it out!! smirk

Me thinks I'm going to pick up some ye ol' Speer Hot Cor or Hornady Interlocks and go shoot deer!!!

This is not TRUELY a "RANT" but perhaps a chance for each to offer their own "viewpoint".....KEEPING IN MIND this is all in good fun and not a battleground.........please!!

What say ye Gunwriters and fellow Campfire brethren?
DOES IT REALLY MATTER in what way the bullet does it's job? cool

God Bless

I didn't read thru your whole post buddy. But if you said in there somewhere that all you use is Nosler partitions, you are in good company... Keep doing what you are doing... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Partition is never the wrong answer.

Next question......

I thought Bob was going to tell Steve to just use a partition and STFU... But Bob and Steve are 2 nice guys. Just 2 nice... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UKdave
How confusing can Nosler Partition be;)

Well once you get past how to open the box, the rest is easy...

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In the past few years I've learned that an Accubond is an awesome bullet. In hindsight though, I learned all I ever really needed to know about bullets in 1972, the first year I discovered a Nosler partition, the standard by which all other hunting bullets are judged, for over 60 years.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The bullet technology that is still not invented is the radioactive coating we can scan with an app on our cell phone so we can locate easily and save on autopsy time.

On that basis, all bullets are still prototypes?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I have a corpse finder app on my smart phone...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, but I have seen far too many failed bullets inside dead animals... Animals that may not have died in a fashion near timely enough to prevent shedding of my, or others' blood had they not met a bullet that did not fail... and left two holes.

To date I have yet to see an Accubond that did not fail by my standards. 100% captured in animals I have watched shot with them from deer to Kodiak bears. While a small sample group, the results are more than telling to me. At the same time I have never personally captured a bullet with an X stamped on the base.

While most of my deer hunting is done where big bears live and my needs may go beyond the needs of a West Texas hog shooter, my bullet choices also work everywhere else, damage considerably less meat on equal shot placement, and cost less at local retail prices...

Plays like a winning card followed by two trumps...

How many consider shooting a small brown bear with a .257 80gr bullet a stunt? The lightest NPT is not even made that light and gives up significant velocity with a 25% increase in weight... I would not consider shooting a brown bear with one without very specific conditions being met... I would not hesitate with the TTSX 80gr under any reasonable conditions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's the long and short of it!

Bullets work a lot better than most shooters thereof!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
This was my contention earlier from a friend just last week.

He refused to point his 100gr. .264 Partitions at running gear on the hogs, after I had told him on the phone five minutes earlier to do just that.

He shot four hogs at dusk and found only one. The only one he tried breaking the shoulder with.

I'm sure every one died with bullets stuck in the offside hide and jellied lungs, but a 264 entrance hole on a Russian mix doesn't bleed worth a whoop and hunting the cover he was in (brushy oak fauna with hog rooting all over) made tracking in the dark tough.

Some Partitions will go clear through most hogs with lung shots, but the 100gr. .264 isn't at the top of that list.

Last edited by HawkI; 01/25/15.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yup that very thing has found me looking under a good mag to count the fart bubbles in a tub.grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah...........there is probably 37 other threads on the same subject. Not much "new" out there we can hash over but every one I've read on the subject of "what a bullet is SUPPOSED to do".......no one agrees on squat. Ya'll ever realize how danged confusing this makes it for anyone picking a bullet?

100 percent of us will agree on one thing >>>>> Bullet PLACEMENT is king. Yup. I agree too.

The rest of it? I think we "over think" it for everything but stuff that may jump up and bite us or perhaps trample us into broken pieces while running away.

Some bullets have a great following and they rant on how they retain "9999.99 percent bullet weight recovery" (an exaggeration.)

Those using another bullet type (or maybe 2) rant how their bullet "goes in 2-3 inches and comes apart doing maximum damage".

Another bullet type has as many followers who quote that their bullets "loses xy percent of it's weight but the rest stays together and passes through". Allegedly a combination of bullet 1 and bullet 2.

Then we have the crew that insists the bullets with .02 higher BC shoot so flat that they can put the bullet "exactly where they want it" (right) when they "gain" that .7 inches of trajectory.

I actually saw a post recently where the long time member of that WELL known site said "he didn't care what the bullet DID as long as he could put it right where he wanted"(he thinks) and another 1/4 MOA of accuracy was ALL that counted.

For the time being lets totally IGNORE the medium speed heavy bullet vs the super rocket light bullet never ending debate.

Ya'll give me a humongous headache. crazy Every one of these bullets is the best thing since sliced bread!! Just ask those who use them!

For DEER sized, aka medium class animals, SINCE we all agree on bullet placement being the MANDATORY criteria to be met for DRT kills..........are we just beating a dead horse er uh deer?

I CONTINUALLY read rants over "bullet failure" with photos shown of bullet pieces/parts taken from some deceased critter (that more often than not "didn't go far"). Uh hello? I've never seen a photo of a bullet that FAILED because live deer won't hold still long enough to let one dig it out!! smirk

Me thinks I'm going to pick up some ye ol' Speer Hot Cor or Hornady Interlocks and go shoot deer!!!

This is not TRUELY a "RANT" but perhaps a chance for each to offer their own "viewpoint".....KEEPING IN MIND this is all in good fun and not a battleground.........please!!

What say ye Gunwriters and fellow Campfire brethren?
DOES IT REALLY MATTER in what way the bullet does it's job? cool

God Bless

You're over thinking it.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All carry on as you wish since the path is of interest to a few..but: MY original question is about type and the entire rest of my post disappeared......again. I have the dangedest time here.

Last edited by Steve692; 01/26/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Dan.
I was typing when you replied.

I am in agreement but the opinions offered are interesting albeit a bit off track.

God Bless

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 66 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.