Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm starting to take an interest in getting into fly fishing. the wife and I met some folks that have a place on the Kenai with an invite to visit with our kids. In addition, we have a number of lakes and rivers I can fish here in TX as well as our annual vacation to Corpus and the gulf.

From some basic research, it looks like a 7wt might be in order. Any suggestions on a beginners rig? How about resources for learning the craft of fly fishing, books, videos etc?

GB2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would enroll in a fly casting class.. I would purchase quality equipment, without looking like I stepped out of Orvis.. I never fly fished the Kenai.. But most of my fly fishing in Alaska was done with a 6 wt rod, I believe it was an 8.5 Fenwick. I don't know about the gulf fishing, but I think a guy would be better off with a light rod for trout, bluegills etc. and a heavier rod for bigger fish.. I have several 8 wt. rods, and seldom fish with them.. For my trout and bass, I use a 6 wt, and now trying a 4 wt.. I am sure others will chime in, but good casting instruction is very important I think.. I didn't have it, and have developed unbreakable bad form..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think one could be happy with a 7 wt. It's good to toss bass bugs in the wind and enough spine to do silvers, humpies and substantial trout up north. If one thinks he might tangle with kings, I'd step up a bit to an 8 or 9 with plenty of backing.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your best resource, IMO, is your local club. Join, take as many classes as you can fit into your schedule, go on the organized fishouts, and pepper those veterans with questions. They will be more than happy to teach someone who really wants to learn.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out the new posts on this forum:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/
Very good bunch.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some of the low to mid priced G.Loomis are great. Fly shop guys often can give some daily reports of whats hitting what. Best advice I got was go do it. I watched other flyfishing folks out on the rivers and talked to them. I took a fly tying class, and got tons of great advice.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have never fished in Alaska for the big rainbows there, but from what I have read and my experience with trout of all sizes here in Virginia I would say a 7wt 9'-0" rod is great advice for Alaska trout and the bass of your rivers and lakes.

I have rods from 3wt to 11wt and the 7wt (I have two) get as much use as any I have. Throwing big streamers to trout, bass bugs to Large and Smallmouth Bass, plus red fishing and speck trout on the coast is what a 7wt is made for. I love mine.

TFO makes good rods for the money, I just bought some for my grand kids. For a reel Ross or Lamson make mid price reels that would give you good service and be somewhat salt water resistant. You mention the Gulf coast and a reel that is salt safe is a good idea, but they all will need a good cleaning after using in salt.

Fly line is as important as the rod so purchase a good one.

I agree with those who suggested casting lessons. A good instructor will have you
casting good enough to fish in just a few hours of instruction, plus a few days on the water and you will look as though you have been fly casting for years.

Any good fly shop can get you connected with the right gear and a good instructor.

Welcome to the fly fishing community!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, if one is out and notices some old silver haired angler, stop and watch, or go over and introduce ones self and ask for some advice. About 80% of the time, they'll quit fishing and start giving you a hand.

It's good though to not show up in their regular haunts too frequently.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by macrabbit
Your best resource, IMO, is your local club. Join, take as many classes as you can fit into your schedule, go on the organized fishouts, and pepper those veterans with questions. They will be more than happy to teach someone who really wants to learn.

Great advise. Then you can tailor your rig to the fishing in your neck of the woods.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd concentrate on a rig that will cover what you'll be fishing most with locally, and then look at a rig (or two) for the Kenai.

While a good 7wt would serve you well, I can see a 4wt for the many lakes down there that see little pressure and IMHO can be more fun to fish having the place to yourself, a 6wt for rainbows on the river in the fall and an 8wt for sockeye when you're elbow to elbow and don't want to be playing the fish.

I'd hate to fish a 7wt all the time, but you can certainly get by with one, or at least pair it with a 5wt.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do yourself a big favor, take some casting lessons, it will save you years of frustration! And having no fly casting experience also means no bad habits to correct! Do this and you will be years ahead of the game in about two or three lessons! Then look for a rod to buy, you being down in Texas, you have all kinds of bass fishing and well then there is the Gulf of Mexico, I can see you chasing Red Fish with a fly rod very very soon!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by macrabbit

That is my recommendation as well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whomever said join a club and get casting lessons was dead on. You can get a good rod and reel for less than used to cost. A fancy rod and reel are about the same price as a decent rifle each and keep going up in price. A 7wt would be fine for Kenai trout and sockeye as well as speckled trout and redfish in Corpus. An 8 wt. would be fine as well and better for bass bugs. You would be under gunned with a 6wt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.