Hop To
#9546541 01/25/15
R
Roundup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If and when the Obama regime either relinquishes or deliberately abandons our Naval base at Guantanamo Bay, what do you think the result will be? Will it resemble the scenario with the Panama Canal a la Carter? Will it become a Caribbean naval base for the mainland Chinese? Don't say it wont or can't happen. Look at some of the many foolish things that have come about in the last decade or so.

ROUNDUP

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for the ruski's most likely, they're shopping in cuber,and venezuela for land to be used as bases .
barry likes the idea of his homies 12 miles off our southern coast... gives them the entire shoreline from Miami to Galveston to invade from.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why don't we put his sorry butt down there?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Obama will go down as Hitler of the United States of America nothing more

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Giving up the Naval Base isn't likely to happen for a variety of reasons. There are a lot of activities down there that have nothing to do with the detention facility. The president will try very hard to get rid of the detention facility, but I doubt that base is going anywhere. For that matter, I doubt Congress will authorize closure of the detention facility due to the nature of some of the detainees we have there. With the new realtions with Cuba, however, they may start accepting payment for, or try to renegotiate our lease agreement with them. I'm told by base historians that Cuba has not cashed the checks since Castro accepted the first payment and validated the lease. That may change. Look into the history of the base, it's actually pretty fascinating.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think Congress has much say in things these days.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by old70
Giving up the Naval Base isn't likely to happen for a variety of reasons. There are a lot of activities down there that have nothing to do with the detention facility. The president will try very hard to get rid of the detention facility, but I doubt that base is going anywhere. For that matter, I doubt Congress will authorize closure of the detention facility due to the nature of some of the detainees we have there. With the new realtions with Cuba, however, they may start accepting payment for, or try to renegotiate our lease agreement with them. I'm told by base historians that Cuba has not cashed the checks since Castro accepted the first payment and validated the lease. That may change. Look into the history of the base, it's actually pretty fascinating.

Not really, especially after klinton close Roosevelt Roads, PR. Before 9/11 that base was going down to what is called "Minimum Pillar", X that is, just enough of a pulse to keep it alive as a political poke in the eye to Castro. Then 9/11 came along and we poured tons of money down there, even building a prison to Federal Specs. All a waste since the Marxist took office, as he is slowly freeing all the bad guys down there. The based was leased "in perpetuity" but I am convinced if obama had his way, he'd give it back.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I agree with your assessment pre 9/11, but there are some detainees there that can't be released, and their commissions aren't ending any time soon. I'm convinced some of them will die of old age there. I've had the privilege of seeing one of the hearings and I've been in those facilities that were built. Without going into specifics, there are a lot of other functions happening that have nothing to do with detainees that weren't being done pre 9/11. The place has uses now that it didn't then.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 42 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.