Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

I handload my first 50 handgun rounds. Download the 44mag to 44special levels using 240gr lead swc from hornday and titegroup.

Question for you all. When shooting them, they were very smoking and seemed dirty shooting. Is this typical of titegroup? Or is it combo of titegroup with lead bullets?

I don't have chronograph but guestimate ~850fps out of 5.5" Redhawk barrel?

Thank you for your feedback!

Leo

PS how do you get all the powder out of your poder hopper? Static has kept alot of powder sticking to the plastic sides.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've only used Titegroup in 1100fps 9mm loads, and never noticed much smoke. Really mild loads are more prone to do this with some powders. My guess is your smoke is from the lube on the cast bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Titegroup in .45acp with cast loads and 9mm with plated lead. I don't notice any smoke with the plated lead - so I assume it's mostly the lube causing the smoke. I get some soot with TG too, but it's not near as much as I used to get with Unique. I've read that the new Unique isn't as sooty as the old that I used, but I don't know how that compares to TG.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leo,

Those swaged Hornady bullets are just dirty shooters, but they don't seem to lead easily and the dirt just wipes off. I use them a fair amount.

As for 'static cling' I have a small shop vac I use for various task around the bench and use that. The nozzle fits right into the measure. By the way, a shop vac and a stiff brush work well for phase 2 of cleaning the dirty revolver.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
By far most of the smoke comes from the lube on the cast bullets.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, and try wiping a drier sheet on the powder hopper before filling it to prevent the static cling.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Oh, and try wiping a drier sheet on the powder hopper before filling it to prevent the static cling.

Dryer sheet - that's a good idea! I've been doing the opposite of what JOG does....compressed air. Yeah - I can get away with making the mess.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone! So it's the lube from the lead bullet that's causingthe smokeyness! So this also happen with the hard case lead bullet lube as well?

I'm also planning on using titegroup for my 45acp with hornady 230gr fmj-rn.

It's one of the few powders I can find available for handguns.

I did bugger up the first few rounds that I tried seating the bullets. The RCBS dies also double as the crimper and I had it screwed down too far.

I was also a little too conservative in flaring the case mouth as I was shaving some lead off the bullets as I was seating them.

Handload is great! I figure I'm reloading at a cost of 30cents a round vs $1 per round!!!! That's a hugh savings!

I'll actually be able to afford to shoot my 44magnum a lot more!!!

If I didn't handload, I doubt that I could afford to shoot the 44mag.

It was some of the best time I spent on cold, rainy saturday! smile

Thanks for the tips on cleaning out the powder hopper. With the powder shortage it's not a big deal yet as I've got two pounds of titegroup to use for my 44mag and 45 acp.

Just seems like it's going to be pain in butt getting my dies adusted again.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot a couple of cylinders full of lighter loads using Titegroup and 375 gr hard cast bullets at 1050 - 1100 fps this morning through my .480 Ruger Super Redhawk. Very pleasant to shoot, and fairly accurate. I did not notice any smoke, and I also shot some loads using Titegroup out of my .45LC Ruger Blackhawk,with maybe a little smoke on a couple of rounds - softer lead. When I shot hard cast from Buffalo Bore in my .460 Rowland I did see a lot of smoke, figured it was the lead bullets going through the comp on that barrel. I've also used in in 45ACP with jacketed bullets with no smoke , and seemed to shoot pretty clean.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mike,

Good to know about the jacketed bullets with 45acp. I'll also be loading that with Titegroup too.

These were soft lead (Hornady's 240swc) at low velocity through my 44mag. From my memory starting loads for titegroup with this bullet where starting load of 5.2grains to max load of 6.6gr.

I used 5.6gr of titegroup with COL 1.611"

I believe Hornady manual list 5.5gr as 850fps from 7.5" barrel redhawk. Mine is only 5.5" barrel redhawk so not sure how fast but they were very gentle to shoot. Perhaps around 38special levels out of L-frame gun would be my guess as to recoil level.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The smoke from the BB hard cast is from the bullet lube.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leomort
Just seems like it's going to be pain in butt getting my dies adusted again.

Use the set screw on the die to lock the ring and you shouldn't have to adjust the FLR or crimp die. You might have to adjust the seater when you change bullet lengths.

I generally load a dummy round (no primer or powder) for bullets I commonly use to get the seating stem close. More often than not the die is good to go after the dummy round.

Back to the soot/dirt. The can be lots of other factors in play - the bullets can be undersized, the bullets need more pressure to obdurate and seal the bore, etc. Those issues can cause the hot gas to blow by the bullet in the bore and burn off the lube and/or cause leading. You can measure the cylinder throats and the bore, play with different pressure/velocities, etc.

Or, just load and shoot.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congratulations on getting into the game. You will likely find it to be very rewarding, especially when you put meat on the table with rounds you have assembled yourself.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys!

Another newbie question. How much of a crimp roll should I put on them?

Since these were pretty light loads, I didn't go too crazy on the crimp roll.

I can also increase the titegroup charge so as to increase pressure to help allievate the smokeyness. The charges for titegroup are soo small that it's hard getting the powder hopper to throw such a small charge.

From doing a google search, I thought I found somethig about titegroup burning too hot for lead bullets or at least not recommended?

Last edited by leomort; 01/26/15. Reason: spelling
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
leomort: Try 8 grains of Trail Boss. 800 to 850 fps, full case, and no smoke.

Jerry

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Glad you are having a great time with your first reloads leomont...a few suggestions however.

Titegroup isn't a real good powder for reduced loads in Magnum handguns...it is very easy to double change and not see it. The other is the possibility of overflash detonation. There is a thread right now over on the S&W Forums of a poster who blew up a 629 using I believe 4.5 grains of Titegroup. It could not have been a double charge because even if it was it was still below book max... I know handgun powder is hard to find right now but when it becomes available try and get a bulkier powder that will fill at least 1/2 the case when shot at your desired velocity.

As to swaged vs. cast bullets...I have not used a swaged bullet since first trying them in the 1970s when I first started reloading for .357 Mangum. They are just too soft and dirty. Hard cast bullets are radially available and are a much better bullet. And for just a little more money look at the plated bullets from Barry's, Ranier and Extreme. Zero smoke or leading and a lot less money than jacketed.

Seating and Crimping...don't know what kind of press you are using but you should consider seating in one step and crimping in another. The best crimp die made is from Lee, their Carbide Factory Crimp Die. As to how much crimp...I use a fairly heavy crimp on every load light to Magnum. You get better powder burning and much more consistent release of the bullet from the case. You will also find a good taper crimp or Lee factory crimp die used as the last stage will make the .45 ACP feed much more reliably than trying to seat and crimp in one stage....

Now you just need to get some molds to cast your own boolits and you be all set!!

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Another newbie question. How much of a crimp roll should I put on them?

This much:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep, that's about what my handloads look like.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS how do you get all the powder out of your poder hopper? Static has kept alot of powder sticking to the plastic sides.

Dip your hopper into some very soapy dishsoap water. Let it air dry.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bob,

Thank you for your help! I have some 240gr hardcast SWC that I can try. I can save the titegroup for the 45acp. I have one pound of Unique and one pound of 2400. Was trying not to use them as I haven't been able to find any in over a year but will try Unique.

Travis,

Is that 250gr keith style bullet? Where did you get them?

Denny,

Thanks for the tip!

Leo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.