Originally Posted by 4winds
What cartridge would fit your comments?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I prefer the least recoiling cartridge that will effectively kill what I'm hunting. The largest game I hunt is elk so for me the 270 fits perfectly.

The reason this is a priority in my selection is because I am much more likely to shoot a rifle of tolerable recoil far more than a heavy recoiling rifle.

For instance my 270 Tikka that I bought last year fired in the neighborhood of 400+ rounds at the range with plinking ammo and probably 150 rounds of hunting ammo at distances to 500 yds before I ever hunted the rifle. Had my rifle of choice been a 338 mag it likely would have seen less than 50 rounds.

I am far more a proponent of shot placement and good bullets than head stamps. Because I shoot mild recoiling cartridges practice with my big game rifles is well into the thousands of rounds every year.

Lots of practice makes for accurate shooting and shot placement. Good shot placement results in meat on the table.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I find a rifle I like, and if I'm buying a factory rifle, I'm not too picky on cartridge as long as it has enough snort to wack whatever I'm buying the rifle for with a minimum amount of fuss. If I'm having one built, I want something that I can get factory ammo for in a pinch, but not everybody and his brother has in the cabinet.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pick out a bullet diameter or caliber first, such as maybe a 25 caliber for deer or perhaps a 338 something or other for Elk, Black Bear etc... Then I pick out a good Controlled round feed, fixed ejector action that I want to use to house the round. Lastly, I pick the cartridge that will fit and feed through my action of choice with the largest case and case capacity I can get in that caliber. Speed and velocity, even with a higher BC bullet is always a good thing and in my world, faster is always better.

This is how I ended up with a custom Mauser in 220 WBY Rocket fast twist, a pre 64 Model 70 in 257WBY, a pretty Mauser in 7mm Mashburn Super (7mmSTW and RUM won't QUITE fit the Mauser action, but the Mashburn does nicely, with a significant powder/power increase over a 7mm Remington or WBY) a highly tweaked and cleaned up 1917 in a wildcat 338/8mm RemMag (very similar to a 340WBY, and 340WBY ammo will run in it just fine) and a CZ 550, again much tweaked and tuned, in 416 Rigby which I can - and do - load to 416 WBY velocities.

I am exceedingly happy with my choices, others like their choices for their reasons. Not everyone has to be a speed slut like me smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All that and you still shoot a bear in the ass and leave it all night.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

What do I plan to kill with it.
Where, do I expect to carry it, and under what conditions do I expect to be shooting.

Of course, this all leads in to matching bullet and glass to the purpose as well.

EXCELLENT !!

If anyone addresses YOUR points for THEIR needs, they're certainly headed in the right direction.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Priorities:

1. What am I using it for?
2. Who's using it? (me or kids)
3. What's the expected shooting volume?
4. Based on #3, how much recoil is tolerable?
5. What are the accuracy requirements, can I buy a used rifle at a great price, do I need a new factory rifle, can I re-barrrel something, or do I need a full-on custom build?
6. Is there an acceptable projectile that fills the intended use, volume, and recoil requirements?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

What do I plan to kill with it.
Where, do I expect to carry it, and under what conditions do I expect to be shooting.

Of course, this all leads in to matching bullet and glass to the purpose as well.

EXCELLENT !!

If anyone addresses YOUR points for THEIR needs, they're certainly headed in the right direction.

Me too! But of course I don't always limit my self to the above criteria. I've been known to use a 375H&H on coyotes and blacktails.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 01/26/15.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Usually just a present fancy. Might occur at a pawnshop, gunshow, on the net, 2AM and trying to fall asleep..

This mode accounts for all the other rifles in the cabinet...
The jonesing never stops...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Does it fill a need or want? Wants are never to be underestimated, regardless of other usefulness. Needs are arbitrary as well. �I [ want | need ] , therefore I shall have.�

2. Can I get it for a reasonable price? New is nice, like new for less is better, gently used for even less is just as good.

3. Is it redundant with other rifles I have? Doesn�t matter. See #1 above.

4. Cost and availability of factory ammo and brass? If $70 per box or $2 per case, no thanks.

5. Availability of good bullets? Can�t buy .375g jacketed bullets for my .375 Win right now, when/if they become available, I need to stock up.

6. Is it a collector item, fancy grade, commemorative or other special rifle? Forget it.

Last year I sold one of four .30-06�s, a Ruger American, to purchase a Ruger Scout in .308 Win. Didn�t need the .30-06, and had sold my .308�s a couple years previous to fund a ARs in .223/5.56 and .300BLK. didn�t need the .308W Scout, either � it was a case of want.

Also sold a beautiful, nickel-plated, tack-driving Ruger #1 in .280 Rem to purchase ... a Ruger All-Weather in ... .280 Rem. The #1 had scratched an itch and was lots of fun but really didn�t suit my hunting needs. The All-Weather is mo� betta.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Any more I find myself gravitating toward the .308 or '06 family of cartridges, and the odd AI version thereof. I find that speed is not everything, and isn't needed for most of what I do. These have good brass availability and interchangeability if needed, mild recoil, will fit in common actions., and so on. And if you neck size you can get away with a handful of sizing dies and just buy different bushings.

Sometimes simple is better, and less is more. But I still have a wildcat or two on the WSM case and a hankering for a 7 SAUM. Just because I've never had one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Performance

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Usually just a present fancy. Might occur at a pawnshop, gunshow, on the net, 2AM and trying to fall asleep..

^^^^^This^^^^^

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
All that and you still shoot a bear in the ass and leave it all night.

Classic!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I just rotate through them changing from hunt to hunt for no reason other reason than I have not used it in a bit.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Right now I gots the itch for either a .375 Wby,.458 Win and finally a .450/400 3". No logic,need,it's just want. And Most likely that'll change in about 20 minutes.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw

This mode accounts for all the other rifles in the cabinet...
The jonesing never stops...

This. Lately it's old rifles for deals that I work on, re-finish, etc.

Starting to get an itch for a SA Kimmy Montana. Need it like I need a case of crabs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I see different threads on choosing a rifle cartridge, and wonder how anyone online could ever be of any help to another in such a choice.

It occurred to me that a thread on how different guys make their choices and what the priorities are might be useful

What things do you consider when you've found a rifle that you like, and are making the cartridge decision?
These days my advice would be simple. Get a 223 in a rifle that fits you well. It's the only thing you can get brass for at a reasonable price and they make some pretty good bullets in that caliber. Just kidding....kinda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sportdog
I see different threads on choosing a rifle cartridge, and wonder how anyone online could ever be of any help to another in such a choice.

It occurred to me that a thread on how different guys make their choices and what the priorities are might be useful

What things do you consider when you've found a rifle that you like, and are making the cartridge decision?
These days my advice would be simple. Get a 223 in a rifle that fits you well. It's the only thing you can get brass for at a reasonable price and they make some pretty good bullets in that caliber. Just kidding....kinda.

Well, a bunch of hog hunters are proving that with the Barnes TSX bullets and similar, the 223 is capable of doing a lot more than many of us gave it credit for all these years. It is going hunting in places and for game that used to be the realm of a 30/06 or a 270 and similar.

My first serious big game rifle when I was 13 was a 30/06. And the only game I hunted for was 120lb Blacktailed deer. No way would I saddle a kid with something so large these days for a first deer rifle, unless larger game was on the near agenda or available where we lived.

As to this thread, Fotis put my thoughts with just one word. Performance. Efficiency, barrel life etc. count for very little for me. Give me mach V speeds with the bullet that is needed to get the job done.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.