Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
I have a 1.5-5 VX3 on a Ruger No. 1 that might work too.
"Might" good grief Rev that's another good choice. Almost as good as the Leopold 1x-4x. wink

That shirt works for me. cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It would be a nice rifle to own but it's a lot of money and I would actually use a 308 NULA a lot more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned two, one was a 76 that I bought used it was an early gun in 270 and I commissioned a No 10 single shot, I had no real issues with either, the 270 I paid less than 1500 out the door for at the time and I got a good deal of money for it when i sold it, I kind of regret that now but its water under the bridge! When I had the Number 10 done Norma was calling the shots and it was not very pleasant at times. These days I shoot an R-93 Blaser and if I was to do one again, I would just have Mel make me a Model 20 in 250-3000 plenty for the deer I shoot here in CT thou a 243 would be a better choice just for ammo- but heck I would stuff my own so who cares and in CT its the way to go hand loading these days till they decide that is a threat too!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's my 76 Alpine 250-3000. Three grand at Cabelas when I got it, complete with peep sight and 3-9 Diavari scope. Very happy with it, and accuracy is excellent. Light, easy to carry all day, and easy to look at when there are no deer to see.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my Dakota 76 that Don made for me a few years before he died. I provided the blank of English walnut. Its chambered for the .257 Weatherby cartridge and it shoots very well.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That is SO c,lose to my second .338WM in wood, setup and everything, that they could be from the same tree!

However, being a cold, blunt and practical geezer, both of my wooden Dakota stocks are in storage and "glass handles" are on them. BC is WET.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tsquare
This is my Dakota 76 that Don made for me a few years before he died. I provided the blank of English walnut. Its chambered for the .257 Weatherby cartridge and it shoots very well.

[Linked Image]

If you ever decide to sell that, I'd be interested. That would make me hunt with a wood stock again.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Had two...a 30/06 and a 7mm Dakota. Both shot well, functioned well.

I can't quite bring myself to pay the $6-$7 grand for one today, since I can build or shop the used market for a better custom at that price, but that's just me.

Bob,

Does a <$2K pre-war M70 270 (sorry) qualify?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Had two...a 30/06 and a 7mm Dakota. Both shot well, functioned well.

I can't quite bring myself to pay the $6-$7 grand for one today, since I can build or shop the used market for a better custom at that price, but that's just me.

Bob,

Does a <$2K pre-war M70 270 (sorry) qualify?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed that's exactly what I'm asking about. wink So does my Len Brownell M70.

Still I think the Dakota is a pretty damned nice rifle. Have to admit I have seen some lately I wouldn't mind having.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/25/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

[Linked Image]
WOW! just WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

Lots of interesting ideas here. If I were dropping that kind of dough, I'd be inclined to go with a nice 98 of some sort or a pre-64. The part that would scare me at this point, is whether or not I would live long enough to see the project completed. From what I've read, a lot of custom smiths are pretty casual about delivery. That alone might be a point in favor of the Dakota.

On the other hand, there's something appealing about taking a faithful friend like your Zastava and "rewarding" it with a high-class makeover.

Congratulations on choosing a wife with whom you can discuss an $8000 rifle. She must be a peach.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Congratulations on choosing a wife with whom you can discuss an $8000 rifle. She must be a peach."

One of the more telling and insightful comments I've read on this site. I strongly second it.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

Hank
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by HEB330
"Congratulations on choosing a wife with whom you can discuss an $8000 rifle. She must be a peach."

One of the more telling and insightful comments I've read on this site. I strongly second it.

Yep, agree with that.

I could see the Rev. pulling off a smoke and mirrors maneuver with the Bishop... blush

But, that's hard to do with a wife. Either she's an angel or he's the slickest used car salesman on the planet... cool

BTW, Rev, I do like the shirt...

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

[Linked Image]
Absolutely gorgeous rifle!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
got a 76 in 270 new in 1997 on a store closing deal, $1595. hunted it hard since shooting many deer and 1 black bear. very satisfied in all respects--even shoots to virtually same POI w various bullet weights. but i find myself liking my Cooper 54 in 260 at least as much for less than half at current prices.

Yesu ai zhongguo
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Everytime, I look at a Dakota 76, even the best, I think about a Sterling Davenport Custom and how it bests the Dakota every single time.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Mine is from 1996. One of only a few that they machined the receiver and installed a Jewell trigger in. 375 H&H and will pretty much put them in one hole at 100 yards from the bench. Loves the 270 tsx at a shade over 2700 fps. The Dakota has a very slick action and is a dream to shoot. The stock design and the way it feels when you shoulder it is a major reason I like it so much. Add that feel with the accuracy I get from my Dakotas and they are tough to beat! One of my absolute favorites! Buy you one if you want. You wont be sorry.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by HEB330

Yep, agree with that.

I could see the Rev. pulling off a smoke and mirrors maneuver with the Bishop... blush

But, that's hard to do with a wife. Either she's an angel or he's the slickest used car salesman on the planet... cool

BTW, Rev, I do like the shirt...

DF

I expect my peach probably has her eye on a new Durango Citadel just to even things up. cry

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Very nice!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loony Logic doesn't have a prayer when pitted against Feminine Wiles!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.