Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
I sold my tumbler when moving and need to get set up again. If you could start from scratch would you go ultra sonic or wet stainless in a vibratory tumbler?

It has been a while but all of my cleaning in the past was a simple vib tumbler with corn cob.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The stainless pins and water don't work very well in a vibratory tumbler. You need a rotary tumbler for that.

If you do small lots <50, an ultrasonic works fine and you don't have to worry about pins in the flash holes. The SS pins can do a lot more cases at one time in a decent size tumbler. Results are similar. Pick your poison

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have an ultrasonic, but do have a SS setup, and am very impressed with the results.

Deprime before tumbling, and the cases come out very clean inside, outside, and also the primer pockets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ditto SS

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How long do you guys typically tumble your cases in the SS pins? That uses a liquid medium as well, right?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have both the ss is better . I was going to ditch the ultrasonic but found it very usefull in cleaning small parts especially trigger groups ar bolts and pistol slides. But just cleaning cases the ss is tops over every thing I have used

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
3 hr will do it and then some in my thumblers

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Ultrasonic is awesome for removing case lube, but not damaging carefully worked cases. For this reason alone, I feel its a mandatory addition to my bench. I never felt I could fully remove the case lube from my cases, but with the Ultrasonic it's a non issue. It definitely doesn't clean cases like a Vibratory or Rotary Tumbler though (talking brightness), so I tend to use it just for case lube and small parts as mentioned above.

The Rotary is great for cleaning cases, and in fact, is better than anything I've used, but you have to plan time for the drying cycle!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I dry the cases in the oven. Cookie sheet line with old towel or paper towels, cases on the sheet and into the oven for 20-25 minutes @ 170-190 degrees. Dries them out nicely and they are ready to go in a little over a half hour. In the summer you can set them outside on a nice sunny day.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Another vote for stainless media and a rotary tumbler. Dawn + Lemi-Shine & about 2-3 hours works awesome. I got the Frankford Arsenal unit for Christmas and have zero complaints.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Ok, seems pretty clean cut, I will give the stainless/rotary tumbler a go.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Get the larger SS pins. They won't stick in the flash holes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by molly
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

Get the larger SS pins. They won't stick in the flash holes.

Yep, good suggestion. Get the .047" ones, the .041" ones will double up in the primer flash hole.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
My google fu is weak, what is the best source for the larger pins? When I pull up stainless tumbling media I dont see diameter shown.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Disregard, my google fu was strengthened by using the proper terms.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good site for all things SS tumbling.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I recently got the Frankford Arsenal tumbler and it comes with stainless media. When my brass comes out it looks almost "fake" it is so sparkling and clean smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you guys use tap water or distilled water?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use tap water (warm), 2 tablespoons dawn, and � teaspoon lemishine.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Do you guys always deprime? I have never been retentive about cleaning primer pockets but will the pins get trapped and damage my decap pin if I dont deprime first?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have never tried it without depriming, but it may be possible for even the pins that are sized so as not to be trapped may do so. I don't know, just supposing.

The inexpensive Lee decapping die has worked very well for me, especially with crimped in primers, and it didn't break the bank.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have run primed cases with the stainless pins.
I haven't had any pins stick in primed cases.

But the old primer residue will be wet. It takes longer for things to dry.

De-prime 1st and the primer pockets will be somewhat clean.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I run deprimed cases never have had a pin stuck in a flash hole , cases inside, outside, primer pockets and flash hole all come out looking brnad new !! I do belive there a like 3 sizes of pins , I don't remember what size mine are , they are bigger than the smallest so two can try to go through flash hole and hang up, but are still smalle enough to pass through , the biggest size won't pass through.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yours are probably .047". It's the .041" ones that will stick two-at-a-time in the flash hole.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I use tap water (warm), 2 tablespoons dawn, and � teaspoon lemishine.

1/4 Tsp Lemi-Shine

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pick up a Lee Universal Decapping die and run your brass thru it prior to tossing in the tumbler. Then, you're good to go.

I usually set my tumbler on the bench and just as soon as the brass comes out of the decapping die, t goes immediately into the tumbler.

Here is a picture of a drying rack I made one afternoon. Usually let the brass dry overnight and it's ready to go the following day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by imgoofy; 02/05/15. Reason: Added pics

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Yours are probably .047". It's the .041" ones that will stick two-at-a-time in the flash hole.

That's true. I ended up with 0.041" pins when I bought my kit, and I'd have two or three percent of cases with pins stuck in flash holes (.223 and 5.56 brass) when I started using it. I just tumbled 1000 cases though, and have loaded 500 of them and I have not seen a single case with pins stuck in the flash hole. I'm kinda puzzled over it but I suppose I'll be able to sleep at night even if I never know why.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thank you again for all the help guys. I have the .047 pins, lemi-shine and a thumler tumbler on the way.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Varmints inc,
How you liking the tumbler and pins?
Tough to separate brass from pins?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I ordered a double drum tumbler from harbor freight for 44 bucks.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any practical advantage of using SS case cleaning over more conventional methods?

I use a conventional tumbler and add a little white spirit and ammonia free brass cleaner to the media, and the cases come out pretty decent..Just wondering what benefits using SS would bring?

Regards,

Peter

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just bought the Rebel 17 from stainlesstumblingmedia.com. I had used a conventional tumbler up until now. Here's my $.02.

The conventional tumbler is quicker to use and works just fine. However, if you have old grungy brass that was picked up at the range or you want to remove the tasks of cleaning primer pockets from your loading process, stainless tumbling is the way to go. It's somewhat more cumbersome to separate brass from media in that you also have to deal with water. In saying all of this, I'm extremely impressed.

I'll continue to use the conventional tumbler for my long range loads as I feel the SS tumbler gets necks too clean and can create tension/cold weld issues. However, for a first cleaning on old brass, it's the way to go.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have all three

Stainless media & rotary tumbler
Ultra Sonic
And vibrating media

Stainless media in a rotary tumbler no question.

I only use the ultra sonic for cleaning bolts and such.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Hornady Ultra Sonic L&L 2L

It is a piece of junk

Waste of $90

It makes noise like an ultrasonic should but so far no mater what the liquid concoction it has totally failed to impress

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.