-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Learn something every day! I had always thought that marmalade was a refreshing drink made out of Marms.

Quando Omni Moritati
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
nah, it's a negro girl's name. Her brother is Kool-Aid.

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
correct. Preserves, jams, jellies, but not marmalade.

With the Citrus marmalades, you don't need any Sure Jell or pectin. Citrus seeds and pith have abundant pectin, and it's easily extracted by boiling the seeds.
I take the seeds, pith, pulp from the processing, and cook it in a separate little pan. Strain all that after about 20 min of simmering, and add back to the large pan you are cooking the peel slices in.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Learn something every day! I had always thought that marmalade was a refreshing drink made out of Marms.

I thought that it was that big, awkward dog from the comics.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now you have me wondering about chocolate moose?!?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam what exactly is a kumquat? Miniature orange?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Now you have me wondering about chocolate moose?!?

"Call for orange moose, call for orange moose!"

"We're in!"

(Post Crispy Critters commercial from years ago.)

The Chocolate Moose is located in I.Falls.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eh76

kinda sorta. From Asia. I believe they are now considered not really citrus, but something close to Citrus.
They are delicious eaten raw. You just pop the whole thing in your mouth, and go to town. The flavor and sweetness is in the peel, the interior is slightly sour and almost salty in taste.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Here is the recipe I worked out, after doing three batches. An adjustment here, a tweak there. Bourbon or Rum as an option. Second batch I used 1/4 cup of Grand Marnier, along with the cut rind of two Oranges. It's fun to vary the ingredients, and get different flavors.
Kumquat Marmalade

3 pounds Kumquats.
5 1/2 cups water
6 cups sugar (2.6 pounds)
1/4 cup Dark Rum, or Bourbon (Optional)

Wash the Kumquats. Working with 12 at a time, cut the ends. Reserve.
Using a small sharp knife, core the Kumquats. Use your finger to push out the pulp and seeds. Reserve those also.
flatten the Kumquat on the cutting board, and with a very sharp knife, slice into rings. These should be fairly thin.

Place the reserved seeds and pulp, and cut ends, in a small saucepan. Add one cup of water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20 min. Place this mixture in a sieve, over a bowl, and press gently to extract the liquid. Reserve this, and discard the solids. About 1 1/2 cups.

Ready your canning jars. Place them in a water bath, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to 190F, and simmer until needed.

In a 5 Quart non reactive pan, place the sliced Kumquats and 5 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce to simmer, and cook for an hour, until the Kumquat slices are soft.
Measure the cooked Kumquats. For each cup, add 3/4 cup sugar. Stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Add back in, the reserved liquid. (This contains the pectin you need)
Bring to a second boil, and continue to boil the mixture until the temperature reaches 220F.
Stir the mixture occasionally.
Once you reach 218F, start checking the mixture to see if it has reached the jell stage, by pouring a spoon of liquid back into the pan, and watching how the last drops form. When the mixture is ready, a sheet of liquid will slough off the spoon. First one drop, then two drops will form, then the sheeting. You can also use the frozen plate test method. Place a small amount of the liquid on a frozen plate. Place back in the freezer for 60 seconds. Drag your finger tip across the surface, and when ready, you will drag a jelled bit across the surface.
Optional: At this point, add in the Rum or Bourbon, stir well.

When ready, fill your jars. Make sure there are no air bubbles along the inside of the jar. Place lid on the jar, then finger tighten the ring. Place jars back in the water bath, and process for 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove the jars, and cool on a wire rack. Do not tighten the lids for 12 hours. The caps will 'pop', as they seal.

Yield: about 96 ounces

Sam......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sam what exactly is a kumquat?

A damn funny word.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

That's what I call Dem's/morons. laugh Did that for many years before I even knew it was real, I thought I made it up!

The first time I saw it in the store I about fell over laughing as it looked like a prick, thought it was a prank or something. Then I found out it was actually real and was floored...LOL

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the recipe for the Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Meyer Lemon Marmalade

5 or 6 Meyer lemons (about 4 pounds)
water
6 cups sugar

Working with one Lemon at a time, cut into quarters, lengthwise. Make a lengthwise cut on either side of the wedge, into the center. This will remove the center.
Reserve the cut pieces and the seeds. Cut the tips off either end, and reserve those as well.

Turn the wedges flesh side down on a cutting board, and using a very sharp knife, cut into thin slices.
Yield should be about 6 cups of sliced lemon.
Ratio of ingredients is 1:1:1, so for 6 cups slices, you will need 6 cups water and 6 cups sugar.

Place the slices in a large, non reactive pan, along with the correct amount of water, and let soak overnight.

At this point, place the reserved seeds and other left over Lemon pieces in a medium non reactive pan. Add a cup of water, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or so, then remove from the heat, and strain. Reserve this liquid. It contains the natural pectin you will need to finish making the Marmalade.

Process your canning jars, making sure you allow enough time to bring the water bath to boiling.

Bring the Lemon slices and water to a boil, and reduce to active simmer. At this point, add in the correct amount of sugar. Stir as you add the sugar, to make sure it is well dissolved. Add in the reserved strained liquid. Let this cook for about 30 minutes. The slices should be tender, but not over soft.

Use a candy thermometer, to check temperature. Jell stage should be around 220F. Use the plate method, or the pour method to determine when you reach jell stage.

When ready, remove from the heat and fill your canning jars. Follow correct guidelines for amount, elimination of bubbles in the jars, and sealing.

Yield will be around 10 8 ounce jars.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
if you don't have a thermometer can you just stick your finger in to check?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
uhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that's right Dan. shocked

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If it blisters and starts to bleed should be 220 right?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
And, -------another good thread takes a southern turn.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lighten up

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you are addressing me, I am light!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
And I promise to purchase a candy thermometer
Actually I have a thermapen I bet that would actually work

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
just bear in mind, that the jell point temp is not an arbitrary mark. The point where the mixture jells is dependent on variables, such as sugar content, temperature, pectin, agitation and probably others.
Best way to make sure is to use both the plate test and the drip test, in conjunction with a good digital candy thermometer. The Thermapen will give you an accurate temp, but it's going to be damned 'unhandy' to use. It takes quite a while to get the syrup to the right temp, and hand holding a thermapen over 212+ temp boiling sugar syrup can be dicey. shocked

Sam......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.