$25.00

Unless you're desperate.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Everyone wants to buy them but is anyone actually shooting them?
I burned up 500 in the last couple weeks. Finding more on dealer shelves every week and have 6,000 on hand so no worries shooting some up.

I'm still shooting about 500 a month. I have kids, mine and others, to teach. Even if I have to buy to replenish the stash, it'll be worth it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The whole thing makes me uneasy. I believe in capitalism. But have never been one to be a "dealer". Just sold a friend 92 hornady 154 spire point 7mms. The sticker on the box, 1988, was $8.75. We called it $9 and I insisted he look them over because they had gotten dark, not green, over the last 26 years. I know what they cost new but feel charging based on that, to get rid of my stash, is gouging. We all have different standards on different topics.

In my opinion there is no such thing as price gouging in free-will transactions. Someone holds a gun to your head and says �Pay this, or else I shoot�, that�s a different story.

At the end of the day, all free-will transactions occur because buyer and seller reach a mutually agreeable price based on how they each value the item in question. I�ve seen people pay $75 and more for a brick of 500 .22�s and be happy In one case it was because it meant father and son could go small game hunting versus not.

At the same time I�ve seen people complain bitterly about the same price. What they are really bitching about is that the seller won�t sell for the buyer�s price. The fact is that higher prices help ensure at least some supply. Even through the drought of the last couple years, bricks of .22 ammo have been available at the gunshows and elsewhere.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In my opinion there is no such thing as price gouging in free-will transactions. Someone holds a gun to your head and says �Pay this, or else I shoot�, that�s a different story.

I have a little different view, as I have seen one man and his buddies buy all of a shipment, all paid out of one bill fold, while there was a 3 box limit. You may like azz holes but I don't. I did start showing up early enough to be first in line and just bought my 3 boxes, but I still did not like it when he got all the rest and left people standing without. I never sold any but I have given several boxes away. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paid $23.something at Wally's several weeks ago for a 525 Federal box.

I did see the same boxes at our indoor shooting range for $69.95 - used that pricing to justify a decision to never return to that range. That and $25/hour range time made my decision pretty easy.

I've all but stopped shooting 22 LR and shot much more centerfire ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton

I have a little different view, as I have seen one man and his buddies buy all of a shipment, all paid out of one bill fold, while there was a 3 box limit. You may like azz holes but I don't. I did start showing up early enough to be first in line and just bought my 3 boxes, but I still did not like it when he got all the rest and left people standing without. I never sold any but I have given several boxes away. miles

So where is the price gouging in the events you relate? All I see is store people not adhering to their own arbitrary rules, which they are free to change or ignore, and a customer taking advantage of the fact that the store people did so. Selfish on the part of the customer, stupid behavior perhaps (poor customer relations) on the part of the store, but no gouging.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So where is the price gouging in the events you relate?

I am pretty sure that he was not shooting all of that ammo. What do you think he was doing? miles

Edited in for those that don't understand the term.

Price gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters.

Last edited by milespatton; 01/21/15.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by setch
What is a reasonable price for a 500 brick of 22 ammo?

Depends on the ammo.

The stuff I like (CCI mini mag HP) is about $35-$36 for 500. I'm ok with that product at that price.

I wouldn't spend that for bulk packs. I wouldn't spend that for solids.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
So where is the price gouging in the events you relate?

I am pretty sure that he was not shooting all of that ammo. What do you think he was doing? miles

Edited in for those that don't understand the term.

Price gouging

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters.

�at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair� � by the prospective buyers.

I understand the term just fine, I just disagree with the concept. If the buyer feels the price for an item is too high, let him buy the same item for less elsewhere � if he can.

And it doesn�t matter what the buyer intended to do with it, there was no �price gouging� going on in your narrative.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/21/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would say that's a question best answered by the buyer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I would say that's a question best answered by the buyer.

Both Buyer and Seller often have very different ideas of what constitutes a reasonable price.

Seller usually wants to recover costs and make a profit, Buyer often thinks a reasonable price is one at which the seller would take a loss. Neither is necessarily wrong from their unique points of view.

It is only when Buyer and Seller come to an agreement that a transaction can take place.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/21/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right. So the buyer, if he agrees, will buy; if he doesn't, he won't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not sure the person with the question was looking for an answer from a Law School classroom on contracts. Prices been coming down a bit, but sure no more $5 a brick stuff out there. Man needs to look around, see what he wants ammo wise (top grade match ammo going to be more than Walmart bulk packs, but probably not necessar for shooting cans or squirrels).

Ghost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a year ago, I bought a carton of target ammo for $20. I see it reasonably priced at some dealers, but they are often out. The price you have to pay at a gun show is between $50 and $100 -- at least at the last gun show I've been too,

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Right. So the buyer, if he agrees, will buy; if he doesn't, he won't.

Where a particular Buyer may not buy at a certain price set by Seller, there may be many more that will. Happens all the time.

The first Buyer thinks the price is unreasonable, the second thinks it is reasonable. Seller set the price, which didn't change. Which Buyer is right? Both. So is the Seller.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a couple of cases of 22 target ammo but I can't find any good stuff anywhere. Glad I have what I do but I have been trying to buy Winchester hollowpoints for over 10 years and have never found them in stock in any of my suppliers.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave a bulk box of 525 to a good friend in Colorado this past November for his 12 year old son to have some plinking ammo

Free is a good price

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I agree. I haven't sold a box but I have given about 4 bricks away.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I agree. I haven't sold a box but I have given about 4 bricks away.

I've done the same thing. Mostly to people that aren't really shooters, but like to hunt with a 22LR. They didn't have a clue that they wouldn't be able to just walk into a sporting goods store and buy a few boxes of ammo.

I'm sending 3 boxes of 250-3000 ammo to a cousin in Minnesota in the next day or so. He had no idea that it is, for all practical purposes, unavailable.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I've learned over the last few years and two separate ammo droughts is to stock up when you get the chance to do so at a reasonable price - even if you don't "need" any at that particular moment. The same is true for components.

Yesterday I picked up a couple boxes of Barnes TAC-XPD ammo (9mm and .45) because while my mags are full I've only a couple rounds left on my shelf. Wednesday it was a pound each of HS-6 and Longshot. Last weekend it was another 1,000 CCI 200 Large Rifle primers.

At the moment I feel pretty well stocked up with over 3600 .22 rounds including 500 Shorts, another 650 in .22 Win Mag, probably 15,000 primers, plenty of bullets and a lifetime supply of brass almost everything I shoot, plus lots of loaded ammo for my centerfires.

Still need brass, bullets and dies for my new .40S&W plus another 8lb jug of H4350. Might pick up the H4350 today if I can find some.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

377 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.